Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon A70 help/knowledge required - Photography

A guy at work keeps insisting that his brand new A70 (P&S Canon digi camera) can take additional lenses. Now I have tried to tell him or get him to tell me what "interchangable lenses" means every new person who he tells he makes it sound like an SLR. Anyway, I'm imagining all these "extra lenses you can put on the camera" is really just something else that goes on the front, or am I really missing the point and a sub$700 P&S can really take EOS lenses ;)...

  1. #1

    Default Canon A70 help/knowledge required

    A guy at work keeps insisting that his brand new A70 (P&S Canon digi
    camera) can take additional lenses. Now I have tried to tell him or
    get him to tell me what "interchangable lenses" means every new person
    who he tells he makes it sound like an SLR.

    Anyway, I'm imagining all these "extra lenses you can put on the
    camera" is really just something else that goes on the front, or am I
    really missing the point and a sub$700 P&S can really take EOS lenses
    ;)
    ChrisMc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon A70 help/knowledge required

    In article <cm59gvs4kiftptc322savmoibhpl3lapt74ax.com>, ChrisMc wrote...

    > A guy at work keeps insisting that his brand new A70 (P&S Canon digi
    > camera) can take additional lenses. Now I have tried to tell him or
    > get him to tell me what "interchangable lenses" means every new person
    > who he tells he makes it sound like an SLR.
    >
    > Anyway, I'm imagining all these "extra lenses you can put on the
    > camera" is really just something else that goes on the front, or am I
    > really missing the point and a sub$700 P&S can really take EOS lenses
    > ;)

    Yes the lenses are "just something else that goes on the front"
    but isn't that what they all are when it comes down to it :-)
    colinco Guest

  3. #3

    which was dated Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:52:50 GMT:

    The A70 currently has 2 optional lenses available:
    a 2.4x teleconverter lens for total 7.2 optical zoom and a wide angle lens. Both of these
    require the purchase of a separate tube adaptor for mounting the lenses. The tube adaptor
    also allows attachment of standard filters such as UV, Polariser, ND etc
    Cheers,
    Dennis

    >A guy at work keeps insisting that his brand new A70 (P&S Canon digi
    >camera) can take additional lenses. Now I have tried to tell him or
    >get him to tell me what "interchangable lenses" means every new person
    >who he tells he makes it sound like an SLR.
    >
    >Anyway, I'm imagining all these "extra lenses you can put on the
    >camera" is really just something else that goes on the front, or am I
    >really missing the point and a sub$700 P&S can really take EOS lenses
    >;)
    Dennis with 2 N's Guest

  4. #4

    There are quite a few things that can go on the 'lens' adapter, and he
    can use an SLR lens if he reverses it on an adapter ring to use it for
    extreme macro, but the impression he's giving that the A70 has
    'interchangeable' lenses is incorrect - the lens on the A70 is most
    definitely not interchangeable, but he can put a tele converter or a
    wide adapter on there to give better top end zoom or a wider angle...
    he can also use filters, including the Hoya close up 'lens' set, which
    are three diopters that allow closer focussing, but they aren't lenses
    as most people understand them...

    Cheers,
    Stuart Elflett
    Dataman Pty Ltd

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:52:50 GMT, ChrisMc
    <cmcclellauyahooSPAM.com.au> wrote:

    >A guy at work keeps insisting that his brand new A70 (P&S Canon digi
    >camera) can take additional lenses. Now I have tried to tell him or
    >get him to tell me what "interchangable lenses" means every new person
    >who he tells he makes it sound like an SLR.
    >
    >Anyway, I'm imagining all these "extra lenses you can put on the
    >camera" is really just something else that goes on the front, or am I
    >really missing the point and a sub$700 P&S can really take EOS lenses
    >;)
    Stuart Elflett Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 05:14:28 GMT, Stuart Elflett
    <stuart(Don'tspamme)dataman.com.au> wrote:
    >There are quite a few things that can go on the 'lens' adapter, and he
    >can use an SLR lens if he reverses it on an adapter ring to use it for
    >extreme macro, but the impression he's giving that the A70 has
    >'interchangeable' lenses is incorrect - the lens on the A70 is most
    >definitely not interchangeable, but he can put a tele converter or a
    >wide adapter on there to give better top end zoom or a wider angle...
    >he can also use filters, including the Hoya close up 'lens' set, which
    >are three diopters that allow closer focussing, but they aren't lenses
    >as most people understand them...
    Thanks mate, that's what I thought and wanted confirmed. Thanks for
    your time
    ChrisMc Guest

  6. #6