Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon Custom Function 04 - Photography

Two Questions regarding Canon DSLRs (in particular the 20D): a) Is it necessary to set the Custom Function 04 to 1 (AE Lock / AF) in order to use the full time manual focus feature of most USM AF actuator fitted Canon lenses? (If AF lock is on the shutter can you not use full time manual focus because the AF algorithm is fighting the manual changes - I don't know) b) If you set Custom Function 04 to 1, what happens about FE lock? Does FEL still occur on the * button or on the shutter release (along with ...

  1. #1

    Default Canon Custom Function 04

    Two Questions regarding Canon DSLRs (in particular the 20D):

    a) Is it necessary to set the Custom Function 04 to 1 (AE Lock / AF) in
    order to use the full time manual focus feature of most USM AF actuator
    fitted Canon lenses? (If AF lock is on the shutter can you not use full time
    manual focus because the AF algorithm is fighting the manual changes - I
    don't know)

    b) If you set Custom Function 04 to 1, what happens about FE lock? Does FEL
    still occur on the * button or on the shutter release (along with AE lock)?

    Cheers

    Lester

    Lester Wareham Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon Custom Function 04

    Lester Wareham wrote:
    > Two Questions regarding Canon DSLRs (in particular the 20D):
    >
    > a) Is it necessary to set the Custom Function 04 to 1 (AE Lock / AF)
    > in order to use the full time manual focus feature of most USM AF
    > actuator fitted Canon lenses? (If AF lock is on the shutter can you
    > not use full time manual focus because the AF algorithm is fighting
    > the manual changes - I don't know)
    Exactly. If you leave CF4 on 0 and adjust the focus manually and then
    press the shutter release, the AF will adjust to what it thinks is
    good. So the first thing I did on my D30 and now on the 20D is to
    program CF4 to either 1 or 3 (difference comes below)

    > b) If you set Custom Function 04 to 1, what happens about FE lock?
    > Does FEL still occur on the * button or on the shutter release (along
    > with AE lock)?
    The * button then is for the AF only and the shutter release is for AE.
    If you set CF4 to 1, the the shutter release will work as AE lock (Tv,
    Av, P mode, of course not M, does anybody use the other settings?). Aim
    at some dark areay, half press the shutter release, keep it down and
    turn the camera to some light area and watch the displayed values for
    time and aperture. They will stay at the values of the dark measuring
    point. That AE lock and is indicated by the '*' in the viewfinders
    display.

    If you put CF4 to 3, then AE is not locked. Do the same as before and
    you will notice that time and aperture are adjusted while turning the
    camera. This is great if you are following some moving object, i.e. a
    car that is passing in front of light and dark backgrounds.

    So if you need AE Lock, use CF4-1, else CF4-3. You quickly get used to
    have AF on the * button. BTW, on the 20D, I now use mostly the AF as
    it's excellent working even in quite dark surroundings, on the D30 it
    was often necessary to use the FTM of the lenses as the D30's AF barely
    deserves it's name.

    Greetings
    P.J.

    --
    Peter-Josef Meisch

    Peter-Josef Meisch Guest

  3. #3

    Lester Wareham <nospamplease.co.uk> wrote:
    > a) Is it necessary to set the Custom Function 04 to 1 (AE Lock / AF) in
    > order to use the full time manual focus feature of most USM AF actuator
    > fitted Canon lenses?
    Do the AF lenses you own/use not have an AF on/off switch on
    the lens? That would be much faster ...

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg Guest

  4. #4

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    > Lester Wareham <nospamplease.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>a) Is it necessary to set the Custom Function 04 to 1 (AE Lock / AF) in
    >>order to use the full time manual focus feature of most USM AF actuator
    >>fitted Canon lenses?
    >

    > Do the AF lenses you own/use not have an AF on/off switch on
    > the lens? That would be much faster ...
    Not if you alternate between MF/AF regularly, or want to switch over
    quickly on a here-and-gone shot. Relocating AF to * instead of
    half-pressed shutter lets you MF and force AF on-the-fly without the
    camera second-guessing every time you push the shutter. Personally, I
    think I'd find it useful shooting small objects on a plain background
    like... model flying planes... I just get a focus, and the camera
    decides to refocus if the plane strays off the focus points just a bit,
    and buzzes all over the place trying to lock on to the sky...
    Matt Ion Guest