Professional Web Applications Themes

CANON D20 and AVERATEC laptop WITH winXP: file transfer lockup. - Photography

Thought i'd ask here before searching around on my own.... Used the canon with a 1gig cf. When i go to move the pics (via usb cable) to the laptop; and using the EOS utility viewer...it chokes completely. When i just use the window file system..the results are really erratic. Anyone have similar results/problems? Camera drivers? USB vers? Dunnoh. Also, i've noticed the canon 20d seems to aculate folders. I don't know why it creates new ones? I wonder if the CF card size is relevant? Seems the only way to get rid of the folders is to "format n ...

  1. #1

    Default CANON D20 and AVERATEC laptop WITH winXP: file transfer lockup.

    Thought i'd ask here before searching around on my own....

    Used the canon with a 1gig cf. When i go to move the pics (via usb
    cable) to the laptop; and using the EOS utility viewer...it chokes
    completely. When i just use the window file system..the results are
    really erratic. Anyone have similar results/problems? Camera drivers?
    USB vers? Dunnoh.

    Also, i've noticed the canon 20d seems to aculate folders. I don't
    know why it creates new ones? I wonder if the CF card size is
    relevant? Seems the only way to get rid of the folders is to "format
    n the menu.

    cheers

    Ken
    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    In article <com>,
    rr.com says...

    Xp needs no drivers for that camera. If you (or the software) have installed
    drivers, they may be the problem.

    Also, I believe the D20 (I dont have one handy to check) has more than one
    mode for the USB in the setup.. perhaps a different mode?

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  3. #3

    Ken:

    There is little need for directly connecting the Canon to the PC.

    I suggest a SanDisk USB v2.0 Memory Card Reader. I use the SanDisk 6 -in- 1.

    --
    Dave

    "Ken Ellis" <rr.com> wrote in message
    | Thought i'd ask here before searching around on my own....
    |
    | Used the canon with a 1gig cf. When i go to move the pics (via usb
    | cable) to the laptop; and using the EOS utility viewer...it chokes
    | completely. When i just use the window file system..the results are
    | really erratic. Anyone have similar results/problems? Camera drivers?
    | USB vers? Dunnoh.
    |
    | Also, i've noticed the canon 20d seems to aculate folders. I don't
    | know why it creates new ones? I wonder if the CF card size is
    | relevant? Seems the only way to get rid of the folders is to "format
    | n the menu.
    |
    | cheers
    |

    | Ken

    David Guest

  4. #4

    My first experience with transferring files from my Canon EOS 300D to
    my laptop using the cable from the camera to the laptop was horrible.
    So incredibly slow!

    I use a Simpletech CF Type II PC Card Adapter
    (http://www.simpletech.com/parts/sti_cfadii.htm) in the laptop.

    Or Sandisks:

    http://www.sandisk.com/retail/pca.asp

    Beetlegeiss Guest

  5. #5

    Beetlegeiss wrote:

    The problem with those (or at least mine) is that it uses a different
    kind of port & virtually shuts down the laptop while transfering, though
    it is quite fast in moving them the cost in performance is astounding.
    paul Guest

  6. #6

    I also have found that with the 20D a card reader is a must. The
    firmware in the camera is pretty brain dead and I have not been able to
    get raw files to show up with connecting directly to the camera and
    using Windows XP's file browser. Get a card reader that uses USB 2
    and you will love it.

    As for the directories that the 20D seems to love to make I simply
    format the card from time to time, it is quick and easy.

    Scott Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:15:18 -0500, Larry
    <dotnet> wrote:

    >Xp needs no drivers for that camera. If you (or the software) have installed
    >drivers, they may be the problem.
    >
    >Also, I believe the D20 (I dont have one handy to check) has more than one
    >mode for the USB in the setup.. perhaps a different mode?[/ref]

    Thanks for the input..i'll reinvestigated that. I don't raise an
    error, ....hmph.

    Ken
    Ken Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:05:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote:

    My need is great; i don't have one...thanks though for the suggestion.

    cheers Dave

    Ken
    Ken Guest

  9. #9

    On 8 Feb 2005 12:16:09 -0800, "Beetlegeiss" <com>
    wrote:

    > [/ref]

    Yeah..Dave suggested a reader too. That may be the most parsimonious
    fix.

    Ken
    Ken Guest

  10. #10

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:58:43 -0800, paul <net> wrote:

    >The problem with those (or at least mine) is that it uses a different
    >kind of port & virtually shuts down the laptop while transfering, though
    >it is quite fast in moving them the cost in performance is astounding.[/ref]

    That's interesting. I have a win98se pc that has no problems..though
    the file system isn't inter-operable...but it doesn't choke. It does
    "feel" like a resource thing though ( i know that sounds dumb..lol).
    thanks

    Ken
    Ken Guest

  11. #11

    On 8 Feb 2005 15:37:40 -0800, "Scott W" <com> wrote:

    YEAH! I forgot about that. Same with me(raw). Gonna have to bite for
    the
    card reader i suppose. Thanks

    Ken
    Ken Guest

  12. #12

    Card Readers with USB 2.0 are fast and cheap. Once you use one you will
    never go back. It's even way better on my laptop which is USB 1.0.

    Art

    Fyimo Guest

  13. #13

    On 9 Feb 2005 09:46:03 -0800, "Fyimo" <netcom.com> wrote:

    Cool, thanks Art

    Ken
    Ken Guest

  14. #14

    On 8 Feb 2005 12:16:09 -0800, "Beetlegeiss" <com>
    wrote:

    Sounds like the ticket, thanks for the advice

    Ken

    > [/ref]

    Ken Guest