Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon Digital Rebel at Costco - Photography

In case anyone is interested, Costco is offering the Digital Rebel with lens and extra battery for $769.99. The price includes shipping and handling. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10037433...

  1. #1

    Default Canon Digital Rebel at Costco

    In case anyone is interested, Costco is offering the Digital Rebel
    with lens and extra battery for $769.99. The price includes shipping
    and handling.

    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10037433
    cluedweasel Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon Digital Rebel at Costco

    > cluedweasel <com> wrote:

    Given that the batt is apparently an actual
    Canon BP511 ($50 B&H), this looks to me like
    Costco had originally planned to sell just the
    stock DR kit at a much lower price, perhaps
    $675, and Canon interfered - so Costco came up
    with a bundle representing comparable value for
    the consumer dollar.

    This suggests that the factory cost, and wholesale
    price, of a 300D are low enough to potentially create
    a new price-point for entry-level DSLR, at any time
    Canon wants to define it. $500 anyone?

    --
    Regards, Bob Niland mailto:tld
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    That's a good deal, but consider Sam's Club: they throw in a nice Canon
    camera bag and will match Costco's price. Both big box stores are always
    trying to one-up each other. I got mine at Sam's two months ago for $780.
    Both stores currently have a "if you are not satisfied, bring it back"
    whenever guarantee on their digital cameras.

    "cluedweasel" <com> wrote in message

    Toomanyputters Guest

  4. #4

    "Toomanyputters" <com> wrote in message
    That is a Costco guarantee on everything they sell. In 20 years of
    membership
    I've only used it twice but they are absolutely great about it. I used it
    about 6
    weeks ago on an item I bought 14 months prior (an item that people usually
    expect lifetime wear from and the manufacturer puts a lifetime warranty on
    it).
    I didn't have a receipt anymore and they spent an hour looking it up. I was
    very impressed to get that kind of service from a warehouse store. I
    continue
    to shop there for price, value and service.

    George Guest

  5. #5

    "cluedweasel" <com> wrote in message

    If I'm not mistaken, this is the older model, and while still a great camera
    the price has been reduced quite a bit already. I would assume you will be
    finding all kinds of deals at a lot of places for this particular model.
    Great deal for somebody looking for a dslr, especially if you already have
    some lenses that fit.

    Sheldon Guest

  6. #6

    > Sheldon <net> wrote:

    It is indeed, the 300D (DR), and not the new 350D (DR XT).
    Unlike other Canon DSLR intros of late, Canon did NOT
    disco the 300D when the 350D was intro'd.

    This means that Canon intends that the 300D remain the
    entry-level of their DSLR line.

    Yes, but it's interesting that Costco felt it necessary
    to create a "bundle" in order to arrive at an appealing
    price. My guess is that Canon wouldn't allow them to
    simply drop the retail price of the stand-alone basic kit
    below some co-marketing agreement/kickback guideline level.

    Which is not to say that a spare BP511 is gratuitous.
    It's a very sensible thing to buy with a new 300D.

    Since the body-only is even cheaper, I'd expect the
    usual suspects to be offering all sorts of low-ball
    bundles, including some with 3rd-party EF lenses,
    3rd-party batts, misc CF cards, etc. Caveat emptor.

    18 months ago, someone mused approximately "I suppose in
    10 years I'll kick myself for buying a 300D", to which I
    responded, "No, you'll only kick yourself for having
    spent $1000 for it. It will remain a very useful camera."

    I would not be at all surprised if the typical street
    price of the 300D kit hits US$500 or less before the
    cam is discontinued.