Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon DSLR startup time - Photography

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:20:32 GMT, komm wrote:   >> >>NO! Not a full second! JEEZ...glad I didn't buy one of those. >> >>My 10D takes maybe a second and a half. What's the big deal?[/ref] > >You have absolutely no idea. After using a 20D, waiting for a 10D to be >ready is like waiting in a doctor's office during flu season. If you >can't tell that the 10D's startup is too slow, you need to check >yourself for a pulse. > >I can't tell you how many shots I've missed when using my 10D, because >it wasn't ...

  1. #41

    Default Re: Canon DSLR startup time

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:20:32 GMT, komm wrote:

    >>NO! Not a full second! JEEZ...glad I didn't buy one of those.
    >>
    >>My 10D takes maybe a second and a half. What's the big deal?[/ref]
    >
    >You have absolutely no idea. After using a 20D, waiting for a 10D to be
    >ready is like waiting in a doctor's office during flu season. If you
    >can't tell that the 10D's startup is too slow, you need to check
    >yourself for a pulse.
    >
    >I can't tell you how many shots I've missed when using my 10D, because
    >it wasn't ready. The 20D is always ready for me. This is not only true
    >of tartup, but is true of review ad multiple rapid shots as well.[/ref]

    Which is precisely why I don't bother turning my 10D off when I'm out
    with it. With a couple of battery packs (three tops for a very heavy
    shooting day) I can be out for a full day's event and not run out of
    juice. Sheesh, the things some people choose to complain about.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter Guest

  2. #42

    In message <com>,
    Drifter <com> wrote:

    Sheesh, the things that some people get defensive about, you mean!

    Why can't you just swallow the fact that your camera is slow to start
    up, and the work-around wastes battery power? I used the same camera as
    my main for 18 months, and now have something more efficient, and
    faster. The 10D is slow. Get over it.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <komm>

  3. #43

    "JC Dill" <net> wrote in message

    >>The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
    >>first picture.
    >>
    >>Really not a problem with any current DLSR,[/ref]
    >
    > Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
    > like to see comparison data for other Canon models.
    >
    > jc[/ref]

    The 20D start up time is about 1 second.

    Mac Guest

  4. #44

    "Mac Tabak" <com> wrote in message

    >> Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
    >> like to see comparison data for other Canon models.
    >>
    >> jc[/ref]
    >
    > The 20D start up time is about 1 second.
    >
    >[/ref]

    The Canon published start up time is 0.2 sec, the tests I've seen have timed
    it at 0.3 sec, and I've never observed a lag as long as 1 sec. on mine. It
    is as close to instantaneous as never mind.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  5. #45

    In article <com>, <komm>
    wrote:

    I guess I tend to give more thought to my images than the split second
    it takes to raise the camera to my eye and press the button.
    Randall Guest

  6. #46

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > I guess I tend to give more thought to my images than the split second
    > it takes to raise the camera to my eye and press the button.[/ref]

    And it makes sense to completely ignore rhe images that require that
    kind of action, right?

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank Guest

  7. #47

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 13:16:33 -0000, "Mac Tabak" <com>
    wrote:

    Not mine, it's up in an instant, a few tenths of a second I suspect if
    I ever bothered to time it.

    Ron

    com
    http://ronsfotos.com
    http:/ronstoons.com
    http://ronanddave.com
    Ron Guest

  8. #48

    Ron Lacey wrote:

    > Not mine, it's up in an instant, a few tenths of a second I suspect if
    > I ever bothered to time it.[/ref]

    People may be saying 1 second for the 20D based on dpreview. I too
    thought it was on the order of 1 sec based on a compare of the 20D, D70
    and 7D. I can't conceive of a test condition that would affect startup
    time ... but there may be one.

    Alan Guest

  9. #49

    In message <040220050722417218%techline.com>,
    Randall Ainsworth <techline.com> wrote:

    >I guess I tend to give more thought to my images than the split second
    >it takes to raise the camera to my eye and press the button.[/ref]

    I guess you tend to have a very narrow range of shooting conditions and
    styles.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <komm>

  10. #50

    In message <94MMd.28837$xt.22400fed1read07>,
    "Skip M" <net> wrote:

    When the switch is set to on, but the display has turned off, the camera
    is ready again as soon as you touch any button that awakens it. No wait
    at all.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <komm>

  11. #51

    <komm> wrote in message

    > When the switch is set to on, but the display has turned off, the camera
    > is ready again as soon as you touch any button that awakens it. No wait
    > at all.
    > --
    >
    > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    > John P Sheehy <komm> [/ref]

    Heck, it's nearly that fast from the switch being off.

  12. #52

    In article <com>, Frank ess
    <com> wrote:

    Think ahead...be prepared.
    Randall Guest

  13. #53

    komm wrote:

    > I guess you tend to have a very narrow range of shooting conditions and
    > styles.[/ref]

    Even in the simplist conditions I tend to take my time. For difficult
    conditions, I prepare ahead of time as chance favours the prepared.

    While some good (and a few great) photos come from spontaneous "get the
    shot" shooting, more good photos come from a deliberate approach.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  14. #54

    Randall Ainsworth wrote:

    > Think ahead...be prepared.[/ref]

    If I failed to make it clear:

    " ... images that require that kind of action ... " removes that
    potential.

    Unless your "...be prepared." includes traveling through life with a
    camera glued to your eye.

    --
    Frank ess
    "There are some aspects of existence that simply do not yield to

    Frank Guest

  15. #55

    "Jim Redelfs" <com> wrote in message

    > In article <com>,
    > JC Dill <net> wrote:

    > Directly, as in side-by-side? No.
    >
    > However, I clicked around a lot, did some cutting-and-pasting and came up
    > with
    > the following:
    >
    > EOS 20D - 0.3 seconds
    > <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page12.asp>
    >
    > EOS 1D Mark II - 0.8 seconds
    > <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii/page12.asp>
    >
    > EOS 300D (Rebel) - ~3.0 seconds
    > <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp>
    >
    > EOS 10D - ~2.5 seconds
    > <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page11.asp>
    >
    > As you can see, particularly with the 20D (using Canon's NEW Digic II
    > processor) the startup time interval is virtually negligible.
    >
    > If the startup time interval is STILL bothersome, simply set the
    > appropriate
    > function so that the camera NEVER goes "to sleep" unless it is physically
    > switched off.
    >
    > Ta Da!
    > :)
    > JR[/ref]

    In that 20D time I wonder if you had autofocus on.

    If I switch the lens to manual and hold the shutter release down with the
    camera off and then turn on there is no detectible delay just as Canon
    specify (I think the spec is 80mS or some other very small value).

    0.2-0.5 Sec sounds like the autofocus time depending on the conditions.

    I don't have any IS lenses but I understand there is a 0.5sec start-up for
    the vibration gyros, I guess this is from shutter press. Can anyone confirm
    seeing this?

    Lester Guest

  16. #56

    <komm> wrote in message

    >>NO! Not a full second! JEEZ...glad I didn't buy one of those.
    >>
    >>My 10D takes maybe a second and a half. What's the big deal?[/ref]
    >
    > You have absolutely no idea. After using a 20D, waiting for a 10D to be
    > ready is like waiting in a doctor's office during flu season. If you
    > can't tell that the 10D's startup is too slow, you need to check
    > yourself for a pulse.
    >
    > I can't tell you how many shots I've missed when using my 10D, because
    > it wasn't ready. The 20D is always ready for me. This is not only true
    > of tartup, but is true of review ad multiple rapid shots as well.
    > --
    >
    > <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    > John P Sheehy <komm> [/ref]

    The fast start-up on the 20D was another major factor for me to switch from
    mechanical film to digital camera.

    Lester Guest

  17. #57

    "Lester Wareham" <co.uk> wrote in message

    >> In article <com>,
    >> JC Dill <net> wrote:
    >>

    >> Directly, as in side-by-side? No.
    >>
    >> However, I clicked around a lot, did some cutting-and-pasting and came up
    >> with
    >> the following:
    >>
    >> EOS 20D - 0.3 seconds
    >> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page12.asp>
    >>
    >> EOS 1D Mark II - 0.8 seconds
    >> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii/page12.asp>
    >>
    >> EOS 300D (Rebel) - ~3.0 seconds
    >> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp>
    >>
    >> EOS 10D - ~2.5 seconds
    >> <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page11.asp>
    >>
    >> As you can see, particularly with the 20D (using Canon's NEW Digic II
    >> processor) the startup time interval is virtually negligible.
    >>
    >> If the startup time interval is STILL bothersome, simply set the
    >> appropriate
    >> function so that the camera NEVER goes "to sleep" unless it is physically
    >> switched off.
    >>
    >> Ta Da!
    >> :)
    >> JR[/ref]
    >
    > In that 20D time I wonder if you had autofocus on.
    >
    > If I switch the lens to manual and hold the shutter release down with the
    > camera off and then turn on there is no detectible delay just as Canon
    > specify (I think the spec is 80mS or some other very small value).
    >
    > 0.2-0.5 Sec sounds like the autofocus time depending on the conditions.
    >
    > I don't have any IS lenses but I understand there is a 0.5sec start-up for
    > the vibration gyros, I guess this is from shutter press. Can anyone
    > confirm seeing this?
    >

    >[/ref]
    The spec is 200ms, or 0.2 sec. That is the time from off to fully
    functional, AF or not. It does not include time to focus, since that will
    vary not only from lens to lens, but by subject and distance to subject.
    http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/digital/f_index.html

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com