Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon DSLR startup time - Photography

Are there any review sites that directly compare the startup time of Canon's various DSLRs? I've been searching, haven't found one yet... jc "getting ready to upgrade the 300d"...

  1. #1

    Default Canon DSLR startup time

    Are there any review sites that directly compare the startup time of
    Canon's various DSLRs? I've been searching, haven't found one yet...

    jc "getting ready to upgrade the 300d"

    JC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon DSLR startup time

    What is the "startup time" ?

    What are you asking about ?

    --
    Dave

    "JC Dill" <net> wrote in message
    | Are there any review sites that directly compare the startup time of
    | Canon's various DSLRs? I've been searching, haven't found one yet...
    |
    | jc "getting ready to upgrade the 300d"

    David Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote:

    The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
    first picture.

    Really not a problem with any current DLSR, which is why most reviews
    don't mention comparisons. Same reason you don't see comparisons on
    how quickly cars melt in the snow. It's not a big issue.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote:

    The time it takes from when you push the switch to "on" and when you
    can actually take a picture.

    jc

    JC Guest

  5. #5

    www.dpreview.com

    "JC Dill" <net> wrote in message

    Canongirly Guest

  6. #6

    A moot point, 2,000 msecs. We aren't talking about MS Windows.

    --
    Dave

    "JC Dill" <net> wrote in message
    | On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:30:19 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    | <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote:
    |
    | >What is the "startup time" ?
    | >
    | >What are you asking about ?
    |
    | The time it takes from when you push the switch to "on" and when you
    | can actually take a picture.
    |
    | jc

    David Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:20:16 GMT, Owamanga <com> wrote:

    >The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
    >first picture.
    >
    >Really not a problem with any current DLSR,[/ref]

    Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
    like to see comparison data for other Canon models.

    jc

    JC Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:31:15 -0000, "Canongirly" <com> wrote:

    Can you provide a URL to a page that directly compares startup times?

    jc

    JC Guest

  9. #9

    Really ? Mine has NO problem.

    --
    Dave

    "JC Dill" <net> wrote in message

    | Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
    | like to see comparison data for other Canon models.
    |
    | jc

    David Guest

  10. #10

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:56:57 GMT, JC Dill <net> wrote:

    For all practical purposes the 20D's startup is instantaneous, the D60
    takes a couple of seconds. My understanding is that the 300D takes
    about a second to boot up but I have non personal experience with it.

    Ron

    com
    http://ronsfotos.com
    http:/ronstoons.com
    http://ronanddave.com
    Ron Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:56:57 GMT, JC Dill <net> wrote:

    >>The time between switching the camera on and it being able to take the
    >>first picture.
    >>
    >>Really not a problem with any current DLSR,[/ref]
    >
    >Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
    >like to see comparison data for other Canon models.[/ref]

    3 seconds is a problem?

    Give me a break. You can't seriously claim that 3 seconds is going to
    be significant delay each time you decide to take a batch of photos.

    Most photos composed inside 3 seconds are going to be worthless
    anyway. I'm sure there are at least 100 more important features to
    consider than this.

    If it's a problem, leave the damn thing switched on when it's in your
    hand.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  12. #12

    JC Dill wrote:

    Most are 'up' in a couple/three seconds. I believe the D70 is the current
    'quick' to be up camera at less than second.

    What would you like for it to be? 0.1 sec. 0.25 sec. 0.5 sec... ??? And of
    course ... why?

    One thing about my film camera is that I sometimes leave it on by mistake and it
    sits in the bag for a week or more... no bettery drain worth mentioning. I
    don't know of any digital camera can be left on that long (or even a few hours)
    without clobbering the battery... why most have an auto-off function, I suppose.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  13. #13

    In article <com>,
    JC Dill <net> wrote:

    In article <com>,
    JC Dill <net> wrote:

    Directly, as in side-by-side? No.

    However, I clicked around a lot, did some cutting-and-pasting and came up with
    the following:

    EOS 20D - 0.3 seconds
    <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos20d/page12.asp>

    EOS 1D Mark II - 0.8 seconds
    <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dmkii/page12.asp>

    EOS 300D (Rebel) - ~3.0 seconds
    <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page10.asp>

    EOS 10D - ~2.5 seconds
    <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page11.asp>

    As you can see, particularly with the 20D (using Canon's NEW Digic II
    processor) the startup time interval is virtually negligible.

    If the startup time interval is STILL bothersome, simply set the appropriate
    function so that the camera NEVER goes "to sleep" unless it is physically
    switched off.

    Ta Da!
    :)
    JR
    Jim Guest

  14. #14

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:25:13 GMT, Owamanga <com> wrote:

    This depends on the situation. I often fire the camera remotely when
    shooting small birds so I can get the camera close enough to the
    subject without scaring it by my presense. My D60 would take so long
    to boot that I had to desable auto power off or miss shots. This
    would run down battery and inevitably reduce it's overall life. My
    20D boots instantaneously so I can use auto power off and still be
    able to get the shots when I need to.

    Ron

    com
    http://ronsfotos.com
    http:/ronstoons.com
    http://ronanddave.com
    Ron Guest

  15. #15

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 14:44:01 -0500, Alan Browne
    <ca> wrote:

    >Most are 'up' in a couple/three seconds. I believe the D70 is the current
    >'quick' to be up camera at less than second.[/ref]

    It's about 1 tenth of a second, but who cares anyway?

    Probably some shady sales person told him it was the most important
    feature. Maybe a Nikon dealer trying to push the D70?

    The D70 can. I left it on overnight - last night actually. Spotted it
    this morning and turned it off again. It still reads 3-segments (full
    battery) now. I guess this meets your 'auto-off' definition because
    everything goes to sleep: Rear LCD, metering, flash & IR receiver all
    sleep but the top LCD was still awake.

    My SB-800 is *always* being left on, sometimes for days - same thing,
    no issues with battery power.

    I did read somewhere that if you leave the D70 plugged into USB, it
    will drain within a few hours.

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  16. #16

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 19:25:13 GMT, Owamanga <com> wrote:

    >>Actually, it is a bit of a problem with the 300d, which is why I'd
    >>like to see comparison data for other Canon models.[/ref]
    >
    >3 seconds is a problem?
    >
    >Give me a break. You can't seriously claim that 3 seconds is going to
    >be significant delay each time you decide to take a batch of photos.[/ref]

    I never said it would be a "significant delay each time you decide to
    take a batch of photos", but it HAS been a problem when I've wanted to
    catch a photo NOW. By the time I get the camera out of the case,
    turned on, and the lens cap removed, the moment may be almost gone,
    and *waiting* for the camera to fully come to life so I can take the
    photo can be an additional delay that makes the difference between
    getting the shot or missing the shot.

    It depends on what you are taking photos of. I take photos of horses
    and other animals. Sometimes horses start to do something that is
    difficult to capture (i.e. play with each other in unusual ways) and
    if it's happening you either catch the shot, or you miss the shot.

    When it's in my hand, I do.

    jc

    JC Guest

  17. #17

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:01:52 -0500, Ron Lacey <com>
    wrote:

    >This depends on the situation. I often fire the camera remotely when
    >shooting small birds so I can get the camera close enough to the
    >subject without scaring it by my presense. My D60 would take so long
    >to boot that I had to desable auto power off or miss shots. This
    >would run down battery and inevitably reduce it's overall life. My
    >20D boots instantaneously so I can use auto power off and still be
    >able to get the shots when I need to.[/ref]

    How do you power-on and fire the camera remotely?

    jc

    JC Guest

  18. #18

    Owamanga wrote:

    Bill Gates is capturing the energy from your battery and re-selling it to
    California. At the same time he's shorting the US$ to leverage those earnings
    while increasing the value of his many holdings... it's a good thing I don't
    believe in conspiracies, 'cause it could look worse.

    Alan Guest

  19. #19

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:40:08 GMT, JC Dill <net> wrote:

    A remote cable release or a USB connection to my laptop. When the
    camera powers down pressing the shutter from the remote or from the
    laptop mouse boots it up,

    Ron

    com
    http://ronsfotos.com
    http:/ronstoons.com
    http://ronanddave.com
    Ron Guest

  20. #20

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:50:11 -0500, Alan Browne
    <ca> wrote:

    > Bill Gates is capturing the energy from your battery and re-selling it to
    > California.[/ref]

    I don't have a D70, but an Olympus C-8080 will certainly die if
    you leave it plugged into USB. And that's easy to do with that
    camera, because there's no visual cue to tell you that the camera
    is on.

    --
    Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
    --Josh Micah Marshall