Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, anyone? - Photography

  1. #21

    Default Re: Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, anyone?

    > 'piqued'

    French, a prick, irritation, from Old French, from piquer, to prick, from
    Vulgar Latin *piccre, ultimately of imitative origin

    I can see how you would know this word. I did use the word 'peaked' in the
    graphical sense - it was used in the literal sense not in the French !

    Miro Guest

  2. #22

    "John" <jjphotopobox.com> wrote in message
    > I do use an R8 as it happens and the 180 f2.0 with the R8 is bloody heavy
    > (and yes I do have a sore shoulder) but there is a huge advantage of all
    > this extra weight. I use it for "pan" shots of cars and the extra weight
    > gives lots of inertia which improves the sharpness of the images
    > significantly. When I use a 180 f3.4 for the same purpose (about a 1/3 of
    > the weight) my shots are generally less sharp although everything else is
    > basically equal, ie shutter speeds and lens/focus sharpness. The only
    > difference is that when you pan with a moving subject you need to follow
    the
    > subject as smoothly as possible and the extra weight of the 180 f2 helps
    in
    > this regard. The weight really does make a big difference. A small sand
    bag
    > might also do the trick, and heaps cheaper.
    >
    > I sometimes wonder what the Canon 70-200/f2.8 IS L would be like for pan
    > shots. I believe it has a pan function but haven't heard anything about
    how
    > well it works.

    At some point in time it comes down to fluid motion. The only cheap solution
    I can think of is a fluid video head and a tripod. The rest of the camera
    seems to be getting smaller and lighter.

    How do you get the reach with the 180 ..... is it the location you use ?

    Miro Guest

  3. #23

    I've tried tripods and monopods but they limit freedom of movement way too
    much and are more trouble than they are worth. As you said, it comes down to
    fluid motion and this tends to occur better when the upper torso is free to
    move rather than trying to pivot from side to side, in an arc, around a
    fixed point which is the tripod. I have a fluid head which I do not use for
    the same reason although it would probably be OK with an even longer lens
    where you didn't need to pivot around the tripod as much. Come to think of
    it, it would probably be fantastic, I just don't have a longer lens. But
    then, the grass is always greener, isn't it.

    Getting the reach is not always easy. It's a matter of finding a decent
    location. Failing that, getting in close with a wide angle lens and a fairly
    slow shutter speed can do wonders but is less reliable than a long lens.
    JJ
    Miro wrote in message <3f1d156d$0$1211$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.au>. ..

    >"John" <jjphotopobox.com> wrote in message
    >> I do use an R8 as it happens and the 180 f2.0 with the R8 is bloody heavy
    >> (and yes I do have a sore shoulder) but there is a huge advantage of all
    >> this extra weight. I use it for "pan" shots of cars and the extra weight
    >> gives lots of inertia which improves the sharpness of the images
    >> significantly. When I use a 180 f3.4 for the same purpose (about a 1/3 of
    >> the weight) my shots are generally less sharp although everything else is
    >> basically equal, ie shutter speeds and lens/focus sharpness. The only
    >> difference is that when you pan with a moving subject you need to follow
    >the
    >> subject as smoothly as possible and the extra weight of the 180 f2 helps
    >in
    >> this regard. The weight really does make a big difference. A small sand
    >bag
    >> might also do the trick, and heaps cheaper.
    >>
    >> I sometimes wonder what the Canon 70-200/f2.8 IS L would be like for pan
    >> shots. I believe it has a pan function but haven't heard anything about
    >how
    >> well it works.
    >>

    >At some point in time it comes down to fluid motion. The only cheap
    solution
    >I can think of is a fluid video head and a tripod. The rest of the camera
    >seems to be getting smaller and lighter.
    >
    >How do you get the reach with the 180 ..... is it the location you use ?

    John Guest

  4. #24

    Bruce Murphy <pack-newsrattus.net> writes:
    > And if you have a good look through the Canon product information
    > you'll see that the Fresnel based stuff has all sorts of exciting
    > flare/coma problems. Ever wondered why the DO elements are about the
    > first exotic element produced that don't warrant an L tag?
    No, I've taken a shot with one. Available darkness in Plaza if
    anyone is asking :) Hand held, wide open at some horrid shutter
    speed, 1/30th or so IAR. Quality is not real high, but it DID get
    a reasonable image!! Oh, and into the lights behind the counter.

    Bears and dancing I think.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.