Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon G3 vs Olympus camedia 5050 Vs Fuji Fuji FinePix Digital Camera, S602 - Photography

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:37:17 +0100, David Oddie >>When will people learn? > >I might ask you the same question. >> >>Canon Iso's are bull! (skewed anyway) >> >>Canon 50 is more like... 80? > >And the Fuji is lowest is ISO 160 - which is a STOP faster than ISO >80. > >Which negates the one stop advantage of the Canon's F2 lens over the >F2.8 Fuji. Which is what I said originally. > >Like you said, when will people learn. > >I await your reply with interest. What on earth is your point? You realise the canon ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Canon G3 vs Olympus camedia 5050 Vs Fuji Fuji FinePix Digital Camera, S602

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:37:17 +0100, David Oddie
    >>When will people learn?
    >
    >I might ask you the same question.
    >>
    >>Canon Iso's are bull! (skewed anyway)
    >>
    >>Canon 50 is more like... 80?
    >
    >And the Fuji is lowest is ISO 160 - which is a STOP faster than ISO
    >80.
    >
    >Which negates the one stop advantage of the Canon's F2 lens over the
    >F2.8 Fuji. Which is what I said originally.
    >
    >Like you said, when will people learn.
    >
    >I await your reply with interest.
    What on earth is your point?

    You realise the canon has higher Iso levels available?

    You talk is if there were some advantage to raising the minimum
    available ISO. (BTW, it isn't) People would complain were it not for
    the fact that the 602z gives a relatively clean image at 160.

    Your argument could make more sense if you were talking about the
    other end of the ISO spectrum.

    Gunn

    s602z
    Chris Gunn Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    The Ruzicka Family Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    "Alfred Molon" <alfred_molonDELETE> wrote in message
    news:39d374e52756392181105abe06619d9cnews.meganet news.com...
    > In article <0gmqgvsh23a2nanve76cf9aje08d6c8ddn4ax.com>,
    > [email]gunncbidontspamme.inet.net.nz[/email] says...
    >
    > > Really. And just how many more inches are we taking about?
    > > By pixels alone it would give you 11.8% more on a side.
    > > EG: 8.94x11.18 vs 8.00x10.00 for same res.
    >
    > A bit more than that actually. You are comparing 2560x1920 with 2272x1704
    > - that's 12,6% more on each side. Also the aspect ratio is 4:3 not 5:4
    >
    > > What is the difference in measuable resolution between the two?
    >
    > 27% more pixels.
    >
    > > It is possible to have a camera with more pixels but less resolution
    > > you know.
    >
    > The term resolution is relative. A 5MP camera with a bad lens will have
    > the higher spatial frequencies attenuated, while a 4MP camera with a
    > better lens simply won't have the highest spatial freqencies of the 5MP
    > camera.

    And the C-5050 has both 5MP and a better lens.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon
    > ------------------------------
    > [url]http://groups./group/Olympus4040_5050/[/url]
    > Olympus 4040 resource - [url]http://www.molon.de/4040.htm[/url]
    > Olympus 5050 resource - [url]http://www.molon.de/5050.htm[/url]

    The Ruzicka Family Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:45:13 +0100, David Oddie <DaveOddieyNaOhSoOoAM.co.uk>
    wrote:
> [...]
    >a lens that is at least a stop faster then the 602.
    >
    >Given that to get best quality from any of these cameras you have to
    >use them on the lowest ISO setting it is important to consider what
    >that setting is and how it affects their use.
    >
    >On the Canon it is quoted at 50 but is in fact reported as being more
    >like 80.
    >
    >On the Oly it is 64 and is reported as being about right in that.
    >
    >On the 602 the lowest ISO is 160.
    >
    >Taking the Canon as an example, if you aim for best quality and set
    >ISO "50" you will have a combination of F2 and ISO 80 at a certain
    >light level - right?
    >
    >Lets say at F2 and ISO 80 that gives a shutter speed of 1/60 sec for
    >that given light level.
    >
    >With the 602 you will have a combination of F2.8 and ISO 160.
    >
    >For the same given light level that will ALSO give you a shutter speed
    >of 1/60 sec (with the lens at F2.8).
    >
    >Therefore the point is that the faster lens on the Canon (and Oly)
    >does not offer any advantage over the 602 in this situation due to the
    >602's more sensitive sensor.
    >

    >>You realise the canon has higher Iso levels available?
    >
    >Yes and I also know that for both the G3 and G5 noise goes up a lot
    >once you move off ISO "50".
    >
    >>You talk is if there were some advantage to raising the minimum
    >>available ISO. (BTW, it isn't) People would complain were it not for
    >>the fact that the 602z gives a relatively clean image at 160.
    >
    >Not at all. You have missed the point by a mile.
    >
    >The Fuji has an inherently more sensitive sensor than the other
    >cameras due to its design. I am saying a sensor that is inherently
    >more sensitive that still delivers clean results is better than a less
    >sensitive one that delivers similar results.
    >
    >In this case the more sensitive Fuji sensor negates the advantage of a
    >faster lens. So when people say the G3/5 is better because of the
    >faster lens I say that is not true because to if you want to shoot at
    >the best quality lowest ISO setting, the shutter speed set by both
    >cameras will be the same.
    >
    >Move any digi-cam off lowest ISO and watch the noise rise.
    >
    >If the Fuji was more noticeably more noisy at ISO 160 than the Canon
    >and Oly at ISO "50" and 64 respectively you may have a point but it
    >isn't.
    >
    >So since they will all, when the light level dictates you must use the
    >maximum aperture, end up setting the SAME shutter speed if they are
    >set to their best (lowest) ISO rating.
    >
    >So the faster lenses on the Oly and Canon don't gain you anything.
    >
    >Is it clear now?
    >
    >>Your argument could make more sense if you were talking about the
    >>other end of the ISO spectrum.
    >
    >I am talking about obtaining best quality by setting the lowest ISO
    >and what that means as regards the capabilities of these cameras -
    >which come out equal despite their different lenses due to the
    >different sensitivities of their sensors.

    Reminds me of the old, old Ford vs Chevrolet vs Plymouth
    arguments...... there's "experts" that can give good arguments
    for any of those too.
    Some things prospective owners have to make their own
    decision!

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    max Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Steve James Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Chris Gunn Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 06:53:52 +0200, "max" <ma22xhotmail.com> wrote:

    >I have taken a number of shots with the G5 here:
    >[url]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/maxarte/g5paabali/index.htm?1[/url]
    >
    >The pictures have been maipulated quite a bit, so you won't
    >see the CA, but all the pictures where people are wearing
    >white, t-shirts or hats, the prints show a lot of CA and softnes,
    >it bothers me, I had expected much better..
    Do you have an opinion on how it compase to the G3 or 5050?
    >From now on I will use my S2, when it is not in the repairshop.
    >My daughter loves the G5, so the story has a happy end after all..
    What's wrong with the S2? Camera damage is a bugger.

    GUnn
    Chris Gunn Guest

  9. #9

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 03:16:35 +1200, Chris Gunn
    <gunncbidontspamme.inet.net.nz> wrote:
    >This would be an argument if the 602 160 iso were equal to the G3 80
    >iso in terms of... I suppose noise?
    That is where I am coming from. There seem few pro-sumer digicams
    that do well when moved of the slowest ISO setting as regards noise.

    So assuming you want to stick with the lowest ISO setting these two
    cameras will offer you the same shutter speed when set to their
    respective maximum apatures.

    Dave

    --
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
    warning to others.

    Remove the uppercase N O S P A M to reply via email.
    David Oddie Guest