Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon Lens Question - Photography

Hi, I currently own a Canon Eos3 along with 28-135 IS and a 70-200L lenses. In the near future I plan on purchasing a Canon 10D. I'm hoping to hook up with a local photographer, and begin shooting weddings, portraits, etc. I'm not convinced that the above mentioned lenses are adequate for this type of work with a digital 10D. Knowing what lenses I have, do any of you have any suggestions as to what lens I should purchase to use with the 10D? Thanks for your help. This news group really helps me out. Mike...

  1. #1

    Default Canon Lens Question

    Hi, I currently own a Canon Eos3 along with 28-135 IS and a 70-200L lenses.
    In the near future I plan on purchasing a Canon 10D. I'm hoping to hook up
    with a local photographer, and begin shooting weddings, portraits, etc. I'm
    not convinced that the above mentioned lenses are adequate for this type of
    work with a digital 10D. Knowing what lenses I have, do any of you have any
    suggestions as to what lens I should purchase to use with the 10D?

    Thanks for your help. This news group really helps me out. Mike

    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon Lens Question

    I have been using an EOS5 house, an EF 28-80mm 2.8L USM and an EF 35-350mm
    4.0L USM. I just bought a 10D house, and these two lenses go very well with
    the new digital SLR. Especially the 35-350mm is extremely versatile with a
    normal to telephoto range, effectively becoming a 56-560mm ! And the 28-80
    is good for portraits now being a 44.8-128mm.

    But, as the others already pointed out to you: To make the most of your 10D,
    you definitely need a new wide angle lens. Otherwise you will be practically
    unable to do landscapes, groups of people and such. I settled for the
    cheaper (well, frankly, it's really not that cheap either) alternative, the
    EF 17-40mm 4.0L USM. It gives me 27-64mm, and I am very happy with it. It is
    the lens I am using most of the time when walking around with my 10D. For
    someone doing mostly landscapes and nature, I'd probably even recommend the
    rather expensive 16-35mm 2.8L. That will give you an effective wide angle of
    a 25mm and it's also one stop faster than the 4.0L. Still, I think the 17-40
    is great bang for your bucks, and you also a have few pennies left for a
    small tripod which will in many situations make up for the slower speed. In
    addition, you can have some great fun with an extreme wide angle on your
    EOS3 ! (Ever tried a portrait with a 17mm ?)

    Bendik, Norway

    Bendik Guest

  3. #3

    "Mike Jenkins" <net> writes:

    Look out for a 28-70L or if you get really lucky, a 24-70L.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.

  4. #4

    A low cost and very nice lens - especially with the 10D for weddings - is
    the 24-85 3.5/4.5 zoom. It isn't the fastest lens in the world by any
    stretch but think about how you'll use it. It will be almost always be used
    with flash inside (or outside for that matter) and usually in the middle
    apertures. Outside it'll be stopped down even more. Although it would be
    dark lens at f4.5 the AF takes care of that.

    Although I love wide angles (I have a 35 mm lens for my 645 Mamiya) you
    don't really need them for weddings. The effect focal length of the 24-85
    is about 35 to 135 and you could easily shoot the whole wedding with this
    one lens. I recently got the 16-35 and 70-200 f2.8 and they are lovely
    lenses but my 24-85 is still very very useful.

    David Guest

  5. #5

    > Although I love wide angles (I have a 35 mm lens for my 645 Mamiya) you

    I don't know about that. There were a few weddings I had where the
    50mm on the Hasselblad barely got in the whole wedding party. And
    sometimes you'd get into tight places where you'd need something wider
    than a normal.
    Randall Guest

  6. #6

    "Bendik Engebretsen" <on> wrote in

    Can you tell me what does L mean after 2.8 for the lens?
    Michalkun Guest

  7. #7

    Michalkun <com> wrote in

    > Can you tell me what does L mean after 2.8 for the lens?[/ref]

    The L stands for several things:
    Ludicrously Expensive
    Luxury
    quaLity
    Lovely
    cLarity (or Lucidity if you prefer)
    Lawyer (for the divorce when your wife finds out how much you spent on a
    lens)

    Essentially they cost a fortune but have better quality (Sharpness, focus
    speed, colour, contrast, build quality, etc.) than any other lens.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH Guest

  8. #8

    "Bendik Engebretsen" <on> writes:

    For weddings and `informal' groups, it is often nicer to have a
    narrower, deeper grouping where as with a formal oganisation groups
    shot the wide, 3-4 deep is prefered mostly. So you can get away with a
    longer lens, but... and this is the kicker, you are often doing there
    indoors and your limit is how far back you can get :( So then a wider
    covereage is a god send. Closer meens not having to have the flashgun
    from hell as well :)