Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon lens suggestion please - Photography

I have just bought a 300D, and I'll be using all my old lenses on it, including a macro and a wide angle. So I now have an EOS 3000, which I bought body only, with no lens. Can you suggest what would be the best (and preferably most inexpensive) all-purpose lens for the EOS 3000 which would not block the flash- it will mainly be used as a family happy snap camera. Yeah, I know I should have bought a basic lens with the camera body as a package, but at the time I thought I was saving money ...

  1. #1

    Default Canon lens suggestion please

    --
    Benny
    *******

    Benny Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon lens suggestion please

    Benny wrote:

    Before recommending a lens... You mentioned that you had some 'old'
    lenses that you're going to keep (I assume they're all still EF
    mount lenses?) Which ones are they? Also, what kind of shooting do
    you normally do? Can't you just keep those lenses for use on both
    your 300D and 3000? What were you using as a 'general purpose' lense
    on your 3000?

    I guess a couple of good 'general purpose' lenses could be the 50mm
    f/1.8 or the 28-105mm.

    The 50mm f/1.8 is very cheap but also very sharp and fast.
    Definitely the sharpest non-L lens available.

    The 28-105mm has a reasonable focal length coverage but still is not
    too expensive. If you can find the older (now discontinued) 28-105mm
    f/3.5-4.5 it is much, much better than the newer f/4-5.6. B&H in the
    US still has them in stock. Otherwise, check the trading post and ebay.

    Good luck!

    Scott.

    Scott Guest

  3. #3

    Go for the 50mm f1.8 II
    Cheapest EF lens on the Canon market and one the best value for money.
    In my opinion anyway.
    T.

    "Benny" <address.to.avoid.spam> wrote in message
    (and

    Thomas Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Canon lens suggestion - reply

    Scott
    Thank you for your comments. I have a macro, a wide angle and a big zoom-
    all throw a shadow when used with the flash on the EOS 3000. The film camera
    will be used a lot for indoor shots with flash, so I need a lens that does
    not throw a shadow.

    --
    Benny
    *******
    "Scott Coutts" <monash.edu.au> wrote in message
    news:OQXmb.166387$bigpond.net.au... [/ref]
    (and [/ref]
    would [/ref]
    camera.

    > Before recommending a lens... You mentioned that you had some 'old'
    > lenses that you're going to keep (I assume they're all still EF
    > mount lenses?) Which ones are they? Also, what kind of shooting do
    > you normally do? Can't you just keep those lenses for use on both
    > your 300D and 3000? What were you using as a 'general purpose' lense
    > on your 3000?
    >
    > I guess a couple of good 'general purpose' lenses could be the 50mm
    > f/1.8 or the 28-105mm.
    >
    > The 50mm f/1.8 is very cheap but also very sharp and fast.
    > Definitely the sharpest non-L lens available.
    >
    > The 28-105mm has a reasonable focal length coverage but still is not
    > too expensive. If you can find the older (now discontinued) 28-105mm
    > f/3.5-4.5 it is much, much better than the newer f/4-5.6. B&H in the
    > US still has them in stock. Otherwise, check the trading post and ebay.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Scott.
    >[/ref]

    Benny Guest

  5. #5

    The Canon 50/f1.4 is the one!!!

    BTW, where did you buy the 300D (only body)? and how much?

    --
    &lt;---TUk---&gt;
    &lt;---TUk---&gt;'s Profile: http://forums.eyo.com.au/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7351

    <---TUk---> Guest

  6. #6

    I have a EOS 300 with a Sigma 28-135mm IF Macro, which I found had shadows
    using the internal flash at the long end of the focal length. When I had the
    28-90mm USM, I never had a problem with the lens causing shadows, as the
    Canon lenses were designed with the internal flash in mind. The Sigma also
    has a wider lens diameter which doesn't help. My suggestions would be that
    you either buy a cheap Canon lens (28-80, 28-90, 50mm) which will allow you
    to use the internal flash without problems, else hunt around for either a
    new or 2nd hand external flash - Sunpak have a basic flash for about
    $100-$150. I ended up buying a 420EX which solved my problems with shadows
    from the Sigma.

    Oh, also make sure you have the lens hood removed - I forgot to do this a
    couple of times and got some REALLY shadowy photos as the internal flash
    couldn't poke over the top.

    Hope that helps.

    Dennis

    "Benny" <address.to.avoid.spam> wrote in message
    camera
    does [/ref]
    > (and [/ref]
    > would [/ref]
    > camera. [/ref][/ref]

    > > Before recommending a lens... You mentioned that you had some 'old'
    > > lenses that you're going to keep (I assume they're all still EF
    > > mount lenses?) Which ones are they? Also, what kind of shooting do
    > > you normally do? Can't you just keep those lenses for use on both
    > > your 300D and 3000? What were you using as a 'general purpose' lense
    > > on your 3000?
    > >
    > > I guess a couple of good 'general purpose' lenses could be the 50mm
    > > f/1.8 or the 28-105mm.
    > >
    > > The 50mm f/1.8 is very cheap but also very sharp and fast.
    > > Definitely the sharpest non-L lens available.
    > >
    > > The 28-105mm has a reasonable focal length coverage but still is not
    > > too expensive. If you can find the older (now discontinued) 28-105mm
    > > f/3.5-4.5 it is much, much better than the newer f/4-5.6. B&H in the
    > > US still has them in stock. Otherwise, check the trading post and ebay.
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    > >
    > > Scott.
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Dennis Guest

  7. #7

    "Benny" <address.to.avoid.spam> writes:

    If you are going to use the flash `at lot' get a EX unit, or one of
    the 3rd party ones. Feeding that built in thing Li batteries is a sure
    fire way to poverty! So get a decent flash and some re-charables to
    save.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.