Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon LiDE 20 Scanner fried my keyboard! - Mac Applications & Software

I was wondering if anyone else has had any major incidents with this scanner? I purchased one last week at Fry's for cheap ($30). I immediately brought it home and hooked it up to the USB port on my keyboard. I installed the CanoScan software and my computer froze. I rebooted and after some struggle was able to successfully install the software and even got some scans out of it. Aside from the struggle I was pretty impressed with the scan quality and was willing to forgive the headache of cheesy install software for the price that I paid. After ...

  1. #1

    Default Canon LiDE 20 Scanner fried my keyboard!

    I was wondering if anyone else has had any major incidents with this
    scanner? I purchased one last week at Fry's for cheap ($30). I
    immediately brought it home and hooked it up to the USB port on my
    keyboard. I installed the CanoScan software and my computer froze. I
    rebooted and after some struggle was able to successfully install the
    software and even got some scans out of it. Aside from the struggle I
    was pretty impressed with the scan quality and was willing to forgive
    the headache of cheesy install software for the price that I paid.

    After the install though my system became unstable. It would lock up at
    seemingly random times anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours after a
    reboot. I uninstalled the software and removed the scanner. That
    didn't help. After trying some of the obvious things with no success I
    reluctantly wiped the hard drive and did a reinstall. While booting off
    the 10.2 CD and getting about 2 minutes into the reinstall the computer
    still froze. So now I'm suspecting a hardware issue. After another day
    of trouble shooting I tracked it down to the keyboard. I bought a new
    one, the system is solid as a rock, and I'm in the process of returning
    it to pre-ordeal working order.

    I'm a little at a loss as to what to do now. I'm convinced that the
    scanner burned out my keyboard in some way. However, I've used the
    scanner in the directly in the MOBO USB port and a PCI USB card port and
    they don't seem to be damaged (only the keyboard was fried) - so I'm not
    convinced that this scanner is faulty. Returning it for a refund or an
    exchange probably won't do me any good. Its hard for me to say that
    Apples keyboard is faulty because its worked with other USB devices
    flawlessly since I purchased the computer.

    It seems that in my case the two just didn't like each other... I'm not
    sure it's worth anymore of my time trying to get either Apple or Canon
    to replace my keyboard. I'm just making this post in case others have
    experienced similar problems and can use this to hopefully make their
    troubleshooting easier.

    Has anyone else experienced any hardware problems with this scanner?
    Hopefully my experience is atypical...

    David Grupp Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon LiDE 20 Scanner fried my keyboard!

    In <bercp8$2d4$2woodrow.ucdavis.edu>
    David Grupp <gruppdREMOVEALLCAPSyahooSPAMSUX.com> wrote:
    > I was wondering if anyone else has had any major incidents with this
    > scanner? I purchased one last week at Fry's for cheap ($30). I
    > immediately brought it home and hooked it up to the USB port on my
    > keyboard.
    The keyboard can't provide enough power for the LiDE 30. Both are USB
    bus-powered devices, meaning that they both draw their power from USB
    rather than from an external power device. It's entirely possible that
    plugging the LiDE30 into the keyboard's USB hub and leaving it there for a
    long period of time damaged the keyboard.

    [url]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58649[/url]

    > Hopefully my experience is atypical...
    Likely not. Plug the scanneer directly into the USB ports on your Mac, or
    purchase a powered USB hub. They're rather inexpensive these days.

    J.
    Jennifer Mullen Guest

  3. #3

    I agree with you, that's what I also figured after the fact. However,
    I'm sure there are thousands of people who do in fact plug it into the
    keyboard port first like me. I checked again and the instructions never
    warn people against this. I'm a bit concerned that the result was a
    fried keyboard (instead of just a non-working configuration.)

    Jason Parrish wrote:
    > The ports on the keyboard should be used either very low power devices
    > like mice or trackballs, or with devices that have their own power
    > supply. A bus powered device like the Canoscan scanners should be
    > plugged into one of the ports on the computer or into a powered hub.
    >
    > J-
    David Grupp Guest

  4. #4

    David Grupp wrote:
    > I agree with you, that's what I also figured after the fact. However,
    > I'm sure there are thousands of people who do in fact plug it into the
    > keyboard port first like me. I checked again and the instructions never
    > warn people against this. I'm a bit concerned that the result was a
    > fried keyboard (instead of just a non-working configuration.)
    I've certainly done things like this. As you did, I assumed the worst
    that would happen is the result would not work. I never imagined
    something could get n! I'll be more careful now. Small consolation
    for you, I suppose, but thank you for the warning. :)

    Steven Fisher Guest

  5. #5

    In article <NXuQa.431477$ro6.10417629news2.calgary.shaw.ca >,
    Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net> wrote:
    > David Grupp wrote:
    >
    > > I agree with you, that's what I also figured after the fact. However,
    > > I'm sure there are thousands of people who do in fact plug it into the
    > > keyboard port first like me. I checked again and the instructions never
    > > warn people against this. I'm a bit concerned that the result was a
    > > fried keyboard (instead of just a non-working configuration.)
    >
    > I've certainly done things like this. As you did, I assumed the worst
    > that would happen is the result would not work. I never imagined
    > something could get n! I'll be more careful now. Small consolation
    > for you, I suppose, but thank you for the warning. :)

    I got an LiDE 30 several months ago. IIRC, I tried plugging it into my
    iMac G4 800's keyboard, and got some sort of "insufficient power"
    message. I then plugged it directly into the iMac, and have had no
    problems since.

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:galleytexas.net>