Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon modified 20D for astronomy - Photography

"Brian Baird" <right> wrote in message news:verizon.net... [/ref] removed or  > > Changed according David Littleboy over in rec.photo.digital. The IR > filter hasn't been completely removed, but modified to allow more light > of a certain wavelength to hit the sensor.[/ref] It allows H<alpha> at 636nm to pass, so one can record red nebula. Google translate the canon.jp website. The product is a 3 month wait, special order Japan only product. So probably expensive....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Canon modified 20D for astronomy

    "Brian Baird" <right> wrote in message
    news:verizon.net... [/ref]
    removed or

    > Changed according David Littleboy over in rec.photo.digital. The IR
    > filter hasn't been completely removed, but modified to allow more light
    > of a certain wavelength to hit the sensor.[/ref]

    It allows H<alpha> at 636nm to pass, so one can record red nebula.

    Google translate the canon.jp website. The product is a 3 month wait,
    special order Japan only product. So probably expensive.

    Darrell Guest

  2. #2

    Default Canon modified 20D for astronomy

    From sci.astro.amateur:

    According to the Canon Japan's site, the price of the 20Da in Japan is
    "open" and a retail price has not been set by Canon. Canon is
    estimating an
    approximate 3 month wait for the camera after placing an order for
    delivery.
    There appears to be a production period between the time of order and
    delivery. It would be a more promising sign if a price was quoted,
    but we
    should know in time from sales in Japan. The US price of the Canon
    20D is
    now around $1400.

    The options seem to be to wait for the camera to be introduced in the
    US,
    move to Japan:), order a Hutech modified 20D for which there has been
    delay in production, or modify the 20D yourself.

    An alternative is to buy a Canon 300D rebel at about $700 and do the
    mod
    yourself. Detailed directions for modifying a Canon Rebel here:

    http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmodnew.html

    RichA Guest

  3. #3

    RichA wrote:

    What is different about it?

    (or, What is different about it that couldn't be done in a different firmware
    load?).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    In article <cutl5m$jm8$gazeta.pl>,
    ca says...

    It bawks like a chicken.

    Actually, it allows more infrared light into the camera and has some
    sort of live/semi-live LCD preview for focusing it low-light
    astrophotography situations.
    Brian Guest

  5. #5

    Brian Baird wrote:

    That would imply that the infrared cut filter over the CMOS has been removed or
    reduced. Interesting.
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&fcategory id=139&modelid=10464&id=2636

    The 'live preview' is prob. a mirror-up/shutter open option which I bet a lot of
    DSLR's will end up having for both preview, prehisto(C)* and automatic exposure
    settings.

    I also found this page which is interesting for the astro types:
    http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/20d/20dvs10d.htm

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    The word "prehisto" is (C) 2005 Alan Browne.

    Alan Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:34:40 -0500, Alan Browne
    <ca> wrote:

    >That would imply that the infrared cut filter over the CMOS has been removed or
    >reduced. Interesting.
    >http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=CanonAdvantageTopicDtlAct&fcategory id=139&modelid=10464&id=2636
    >
    >The 'live preview' is prob. a mirror-up/shutter open option which I bet a lot of
    >DSLR's will end up having for both preview, prehisto(C)* and automatic exposure
    >settings.
    >
    >I also found this page which is interesting for the astro types:
    >http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/20d/20dvs10d.htm
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Alan.
    >
    >The word "prehisto" is (C) 2005 Alan Browne.[/ref]

    The astro use of these cameras is exploding.
    1. Because they can produce excellent colour shots of
    deepsky objects when attached to a telescope.
    2. Because the alternatives (astronomical CCD cameras)
    cost a fortune and need laptop computers to operate.

    -Rich
    RichA Guest

  8. #8

    "Alan Browne" <ca> wrote in message

    > What is different about it?[/ref]

    They removed the IR cut filter. Of course, that means if you are going to
    use the camera for normal photography you will need a filter on the lens.

    They also gave it a semi-transparent mirror, so that you can use the LCD for
    preview and focusing.

    C Guest

  9. #9

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:19:56 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    <com> wrote:

    >> What is different about it?[/ref]
    >
    >They removed the IR cut filter. Of course, that means if you are going to
    >use the camera for normal photography you will need a filter on the lens.
    >
    >They also gave it a semi-transparent mirror, so that you can use the LCD for
    >preview and focusing.
    >[/ref]

    That would make the view darker, as it did with the Olympus E-300
    which uses a beam-splitter mirror as well.
    -Rich
    RichA Guest

  10. #10

    RichA <com> writes:

    I don't believe the E300 uses a beam-splitter mirror like the E-10 and E-20
    used to do.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: org