Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon Printer whinge - Photography

Printers are almost consumables these days. I don't know the printer in question but I imagine its getting a bit old now, it probably isn't that Canon never stocked it, its just that its so old they no longer support it. "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote in message news:3f2cf625$0$14563$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u... > I've just spent $60 getting a lollipop stick dug out of the paper feed of my > Canon BJC8200 bubblejet printer (anybody want to adopt a reasonably well > behaved, very photogenic 3 year old? <G>). The printhead is dried up and > ruined, and ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Canon Printer whinge

    Printers are almost consumables these days. I don't know the printer in
    question but I imagine its getting a bit old now, it probably isn't that
    Canon never stocked it, its just that its so old they no longer support it.

    "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote in message
    news:3f2cf625$0$14563$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > I've just spent $60 getting a lollipop stick dug out of the paper feed of
    my
    > Canon BJC8200 bubblejet printer (anybody want to adopt a reasonably well
    > behaved, very photogenic 3 year old? <G>). The printhead is dried up and
    > ruined, and Canon Australia don't sell replacements. Canon USA do, but I
    > can't order one from their website because my zipcode isn't 5 digit. I
    have
    > a friend over there ordering one to send to me. How brainless though, not
    > stocking a replacement part for a printer that was sold in Australia, and
    > not interested in getting one in for me. My next printer won't be a canon.
    >
    > Audrey

    Ubiquitous Guest

  2. #2

    > "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote:
    "snaps!" <nospamwebsnmail.com.au> wrote:

    Top posting fixed.

    [snips]
    > > The printhead is dried up and ruined, and Canon Australia don't sell
    > > replacements.
    That sounds a bit nasty, how old is the printer?
    > > How brainless though, not stocking a replacement part for a printer
    > > that was sold in Australia, and not interested in getting one in for me.
    > > My next printer won't be a canon.
    > According to the trade practices Act, A manufacturer has to have parts
    > available for goods they sell for 7 years after they stop selling them.
    I beleive that this is incorrect. The wording of the act is something like
    "reasonably avaialble" for a "reasonable time" Not saying that Canon's
    alledged actions are just, but I don't beleive the time frame is defined.
    Should the manufacturer of a $100 printer be compelled to hold spare parts
    for the same length of time as the manufacturer of a several thousand dollar
    piece of farming equipment?

    How long is a reasonable time? What is reasonably available?
    > TPA also says firms like Canon (to name just one) cannot withold circuit
    > diagrams and technical repair information from independent repairers.
    Are you sure? Which part of the act?
    > From
    > Canon's attitude I'd say they think the only time their behaviour is
    illegal
    > is when they get caught.
    Have they done anything illegal? How old is the BJC-8200, how much was it
    sold for new?

    [snips]

    KC

    Ken Guest

  3. #3

    Based on my experiences in the USA with the "support" for a canon scanner product I
    have so far declined to purchase anything else with the canon trademark (6 years now).
    I bought a scanner w/the bundled (canon very basic) photo software. the canon scanner
    people said the photo software was not their problem since it was software. the canon
    excuse for a software company said it was not their problem because it was free and not a
    retail purchase. it had a demonstrable bug that made it non usable - they could care less (it
    made the software go unresponsive in what appeared to be an infinite loop trying to do a
    simple photo-paint operation on more than one hiQ scan.

    Canon is "pretty product" as long as you never want nor need canon ever again - until
    you have cash for another buy.

    YMMV

    "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote in message news:3f2cf625$0$14563$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > I've just spent $60 getting a lollipop stick dug out of the paper feed of my
    > Canon BJC8200 bubblejet printer (anybody want to adopt a reasonably well
    > behaved, very photogenic 3 year old? <G>). The printhead is dried up and
    > ruined, and Canon Australia don't sell replacements. Canon USA do, but I
    > can't order one from their website because my zipcode isn't 5 digit. I have
    > a friend over there ordering one to send to me. How brainless though, not
    > stocking a replacement part for a printer that was sold in Australia, and
    > not interested in getting one in for me. My next printer won't be a canon.
    >
    > Audrey

    Southern Flyer Guest

  4. #4

    The printer is about 2 1/2 years old, and cost over $800. At the time I
    bought it, it was considered one of the top of the range photo quality
    printers. The printhead has dried up because it wasn't used for a while, it
    wasn't working and I had a new babe who definitely wasn't placid, and I
    wasn't going to drag a printer out to a repair shop with a screaming baby
    and a toddler. My fault there.

    Audrey
    "Ken" <n e w s (at) k e n c h a n d l e r . c o m> wrote in message
    news:3f2d8056$0$10355$afc38c87news.optusnet.com.a u...
    > > "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote:
    > "snaps!" <nospamwebsnmail.com.au> wrote:
    >
    > Top posting fixed.
    >
    > [snips]
    >
    > > > The printhead is dried up and ruined, and Canon Australia don't sell
    > > > replacements.
    >
    > That sounds a bit nasty, how old is the printer?
    >
    > > > How brainless though, not stocking a replacement part for a printer
    > > > that was sold in Australia, and not interested in getting one in for
    me.

    > > > My next printer won't be a canon.
    >
    > > According to the trade practices Act, A manufacturer has to have parts
    > > available for goods they sell for 7 years after they stop selling them.
    >
    > I beleive that this is incorrect. The wording of the act is something
    like
    > "reasonably avaialble" for a "reasonable time" Not saying that Canon's
    > alledged actions are just, but I don't beleive the time frame is defined.
    > Should the manufacturer of a $100 printer be compelled to hold spare parts
    > for the same length of time as the manufacturer of a several thousand
    dollar
    > piece of farming equipment?
    >
    > How long is a reasonable time? What is reasonably available?
    >
    > > TPA also says firms like Canon (to name just one) cannot withold circuit
    > > diagrams and technical repair information from independent repairers.
    >
    > Are you sure? Which part of the act?
    >
    > > From
    > > Canon's attitude I'd say they think the only time their behaviour is
    > illegal
    > > is when they get caught.
    >
    > Have they done anything illegal? How old is the BJC-8200, how much was it
    > sold for new?
    >
    > [snips]
    >
    > KC

    Audrey Guest

  5. #5

    Don't know who you asked to sell you one, but I guarantee Canon
    Australia do sell them... we sell quite a few...

    Cheers,
    Stuart Elflett
    Dataman Pty Ltd

    On Sun, 3 Aug 2003 21:47:32 +1000, "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet
    dot com dot au> wrote:
    >I've just spent $60 getting a lollipop stick dug out of the paper feed of my
    >Canon BJC8200 bubblejet printer (anybody want to adopt a reasonably well
    >behaved, very photogenic 3 year old? <G>). The printhead is dried up and
    >ruined, and Canon Australia don't sell replacements. Canon USA do, but I
    >can't order one from their website because my zipcode isn't 5 digit. I have
    >a friend over there ordering one to send to me. How brainless though, not
    >stocking a replacement part for a printer that was sold in Australia, and
    >not interested in getting one in for me. My next printer won't be a canon.
    >
    >Audrey

    Stuart Elflett Guest

  6. #6

    "Audrey" <scotiablue at optusnet dot com dot au> wrote:
    > The printer is about 2 1/2 years old, and cost over $800. At the time I
    > bought it, it was considered one of the top of the range photo quality
    > printers. The printhead has dried up because it wasn't used for a while,
    it
    > wasn't working and I had a new babe who definitely wasn't placid, and I
    > wasn't going to drag a printer out to a repair shop with a screaming baby
    > and a toddler. My fault there.
    Hi Audrey,

    I wasn't familiar with the BJC-8200, I didn't mean to imply your printer was
    a $100 throwaway, it was an example I used to highlight the false info in
    craps! snappy reply.

    I think it is more than likely the person at Canon you spoke to has passed
    on the wrong information, this unit was sold in 1999, I would be amazed if
    they didn't support it still. The Printhead for the BJC-8200 is known
    as a "BC-50" It might cost you more than a new printer, but should still be
    available.

    Online prices seem to be around the $200-300 mark, our resident Canon
    printer man Stuart might be able to give you a price.

    KC

    Ken Guest

  7. #7

    Just wondering if you enquired through a local Spare Parts Agent?
    [url]http://www.canon.com.au/support/spares_agents.html[/url]

    Audrey wrote:
    > I've just spent $60 getting a lollipop stick dug out of the paper feed of
    my
    > Canon BJC8200 bubblejet printer (anybody want to adopt a reasonably well
    > behaved, very photogenic 3 year old? <G>). The printhead is dried up and
    > ruined, and Canon Australia don't sell replacements. Canon USA do, but I
    > can't order one from their website because my zipcode isn't 5 digit. I
    have
    > a friend over there ordering one to send to me. How brainless though, not
    > stocking a replacement part for a printer that was sold in Australia, and
    > not interested in getting one in for me. My next printer won't be a canon.
    >
    > Audrey

    Fred snr Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks Fred. I've emailed Stuart off list and hopefully I'll be printing
    soon :-). I was given the information that it wasn't available in Oz by a
    local repairer, and I was referred there by Canon, so I figured they might
    know what they were talking about. Obviously I was wrong :-)

    Audrey

    "Fred snr" <fredbedrock.com> wrote in message
    > Just wondering if you enquired through a local Spare Parts Agent?
    > [url]http://www.canon.com.au/support/spares_agents.html[/url]
    >
    > Audrey wrote:
    > > I've just spent $60 getting a lollipop stick dug out of the paper feed
    of
    > my
    > > Canon BJC8200 bubblejet printer (anybody want to adopt a reasonably well
    > > behaved, very photogenic 3 year old? <G>). The printhead is dried up and
    > > ruined, and Canon Australia don't sell replacements. Canon USA do, but I
    > > can't order one from their website because my zipcode isn't 5 digit. I
    > have
    > > a friend over there ordering one to send to me. How brainless though,
    not
    > > stocking a replacement part for a printer that was sold in Australia,
    and
    > > not interested in getting one in for me. My next printer won't be a
    canon.

    > > Audrey

    Audrey Guest