Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon Rebel - Photography

This past weekend I purchased a Digital Rebel, and for the most part I am very pleased especially on Price. There are a couple of things that I have a question on however; 1. When I am downloading to the computer, it seems to be very slow compared to the other digital cameras that I have, of which 1 is a 5MP with "not that much" smaller file size. I have a 1MB professional Lexar 80X CF card in the rebel. I am guessing that on average it takes 8 or so seconds per pic to download, which doesn't sound ...

  1. #1

    Default Canon Rebel

    This past weekend I purchased a Digital Rebel, and for the most part I am
    very pleased especially on Price.

    There are a couple of things that I have a question on however;

    1. When I am downloading to the computer, it seems to be very slow compared
    to the other digital cameras that I have, of which 1 is a 5MP with "not that
    much" smaller file size. I have a 1MB professional Lexar 80X CF card in the
    rebel. I am guessing that on average it takes 8 or so seconds per pic to
    download, which doesn't sound like much, but if you have 100 pics or more it
    is a substantial amount of time. Has anyone had a similar experience. On
    my Kodak 5MP camera, the 5MP pics scream in at less than a second.

    2. I have other lenses from previous Canon Film Cameras that I was hoping
    to use. One in particular is a Tamron 28-200. It mounts fine, and seems to
    function correctly (auto focus etc.), however when I take pics that look in
    focus in the viewfinder (w/ or w/o using autofocus) they are all ever so
    slightly out of focus? Very frustrating, any thoughts?

    Thanks~

    Kevin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon Rebel

    "Kevin Backous" <com> wrote in message
    | This past weekend I purchased a Digital Rebel, and for the most part I am
    | very pleased especially on Price.
    |
    | There are a couple of things that I have a question on however;
    |
    | 1. When I am downloading to the computer, it seems to be very slow compared
    | to the other digital cameras that I have, of which 1 is a 5MP with "not that
    | much" smaller file size. I have a 1MB professional Lexar 80X CF card in the
    | rebel. I am guessing that on average it takes 8 or so seconds per pic to
    | download, which doesn't sound like much, but if you have 100 pics or more it
    | is a substantial amount of time. Has anyone had a similar experience. On
    | my Kodak 5MP camera, the 5MP pics scream in at less than a second.
    |
    | 2. I have other lenses from previous Canon Film Cameras that I was hoping
    | to use. One in particular is a Tamron 28-200. It mounts fine, and seems to
    | function correctly (auto focus etc.), however when I take pics that look in
    | focus in the viewfinder (w/ or w/o using autofocus) they are all ever so
    | slightly out of focus? Very frustrating, any thoughts?
    |
    | Thanks~

    To answer Q1:

    Get a USB v2.0 CF Card Reader. Then you will be able to save battery power and get the max.
    speed of the CF card when copying files from the card.

    BTW: I think you mean a 1GB Lexar 80x CF card ;-)

    --
    Dave

    David Guest

  3. #3

    "Kevin Backous" <com> wrote in message
    Without further details, my first guess would be camera shake.
    The shutter speed is stored with the image so you can easily check and see.

    Tumbleweed Guest

  4. #4

    I think point 1 has already been answered. Your point 2 is more
    complicated. This camera has a fairly aggressive anti-alias filter and thus
    does not produce "tack-sharp" shots. A little sharpening in post-processing
    is what most folks use. However, it could be your Tamron lens.

    Charles Guest

  5. #5

    Follow up...

    I went out and purchased a USB V2.0 card reader and this took care of the
    download problem. It is VERY fast now, much better.

    Kevin
    "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote in message

    Kevin Guest

  6. #6

    From: "Kevin Backous" <com>

    | Follow up...
    |
    | I went out and purchased a USB V2.0 card reader and this took care of the
    | download problem. It is VERY fast now, much better.
    |
    | Kevin
    | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~Verizon.Net> wrote in message

    COOL !

    I was dismayed to find out that when I get the new SanDisk Extreme III CF cards (133x) I
    will have to get new USB v2.0 readers as well. According to SanDisk, the SDDR-91 that I have
    will not read them at full speed and the SDDR-86 that I have won't work with the Extreme III
    at all !

    --
    Dave

    David Guest