Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon Rebel 350D/Rebel XT vs Nikon D70 - Photography

Ok, someone had to do it. Now go .... - Siddhartha...

  1. #1

    Default Canon Rebel 350D/Rebel XT vs Nikon D70

    Ok, someone had to do it. Now go ....

    - Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Canon Rebel 350D/Rebel XT vs Nikon D70

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    Siddhartha Jain says...

    Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------

  3. #3

    "Alfred Molon" <com> wrote in message

    > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...[/ref]

    What about smaller/lighter?

    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    your like 2 days late ...

    Chuck Guest

  5. #5

    No, isn't so easy!

    M@O Guest

  6. #6

    In article <supernews.com>,
    com says...

    > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...
    >[/ref]

    ONLY if it takes better pictures.

    I have a Sony F-717, and a Sony F-828.

    The first is 5mp
    The second is *mp

    The first has only MINIMAL problem with fringing in a photo with strong
    backlighting or a small high contrast are (like sunlight or spotlight
    glinting of the gold/silver on a western saddle)

    The second has a problem with the purple fringing that is MUCH more
    pronounced.... Which one do you think Im going to use if Im shooting those
    cirstances???

    The 5mp gets used MORE when I'm more likely to have backlighting or glinting
    in the picture. I want BETTER pictures, not BIGGER pictures.

    If Im forced to print an 8x10 from the 5mp shot, I would rather do it and NOT
    have the fringing, thank you very much.

    Im not much impressed with the quality of pictures from most of the 8mp
    cameras (non-DSLR) whether I'll be impressed with the ones from a DSLR
    remains to be seen. The sensors are larger, so the picture should have less
    noise.

    What I've seen on-line looks good, but I didn't take them, so I dont know
    (for sure) whats been done to them between camera and website.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  7. #7

    In article <individual.NET>,
    net says...

    > > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > ONLY if it takes better pictures.
    >
    > I have a Sony F-717, and a Sony F-828.
    >
    > The first is 5mp
    > The second is *mp[/ref]

    That was SUPPOSED to be 8mp

    Larry Guest

  8. #8

    Chuck wrote:

    I think he's looking for an informed comparison of the two (not just by
    the numbers), which I'd also like to see as I'm planning to make a
    purchase fairly soon.

    Randy. (who's still leaning toward the D70)
    Randy Guest

  9. #9

    "Randy W. Sims" <org> wrote in message

    > I think he's looking for an informed comparison of the two (not just by
    > the numbers), which I'd also like to see as I'm planning to make a
    > purchase fairly soon.
    >
    > Randy. (who's still leaning toward the D70)[/ref]

    Well, let's put it this way: You wouldn't be making a mistake buying the
    D70, especially with all the rebates right now.

    Sheldon Guest

  10. #10

    In article <com>, net
    says...

    > > I think he's looking for an informed comparison of the two (not just by
    > > the numbers), which I'd also like to see as I'm planning to make a
    > > purchase fairly soon.
    > >
    > > Randy. (who's still leaning toward the D70)[/ref]
    >
    > Well, let's put it this way: You wouldn't be making a mistake buying the
    > D70, especially with all the rebates right now.
    >

    >[/ref]

    I used a buddy's D70 for a weekend, and except for some moire on a couple of
    shots of a girl in a corduroy suit, I loved every shot I took.

    Its past being a good camera and almost into being a great camera, the only
    holdback being that one little problem.

    I just inherited a suitcase full of Canon glass (nobody died, it was given to
    me) and most of the lenses can be used in the Rebel or the New Rebel, so
    thats what has kept me from buy a D70.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  11. #11

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:25:10 GMT, "MO" <MO.it> wrote:

    >No, isn't so easy![/ref]

    I think Alfred forgot the smiley there...

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net
    Christopher Guest

  12. #12

    In article <individual.NET>, Larry
    <net> wrote:

    eBay is your pla...
    Steve Guest

  13. #13

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...[/ref]

    I wouldn't get too excited about the difference in the sensor
    resolution between the D70 and the 350D. You really shouldn't become
    fixated on megapixels because there are a lot of other considerations
    to be made in the selection of a digital SLR. Actual image quality is
    one, but there are other functionality issues as well. Obviously it's
    too early for image quality comparisons, so look at the functionality
    issues for now:

    Functionally, the 350D has a few advantages:

    1. True USB 2.0 interface.
    2. Available vertical grip.
    3. Mirror lock-up.
    4. EF-s lenses, especially the EF-s 10-22, for which Nikon does not
    yet
    have something similar.

    The D70 has spot metering, which the EOS-350D doesn't have.

    Function-wise, the 350D is high-end consumer/low-end prosumer. I think
    that Canon may keep the 300D and drop the price, so they can have a
    very low-priced, "entry-level" D-SLR.

    Personally, I would not buy an SLR with no vertical grip, I just like
    vertical grips a lot. But the D70 does have an aftermarket vertical
    grip available, which is sufficient, if a bit of a kludge with
    connections via cables since the D70 has no connector for a grip.

    It looks like a shakeout is already occuring in digital SLRs, with
    everyone but Canon and Nikon becoming low-volume niche players.

    I think that Nikon will soon introduce three new digital SLRs (model
    numbers made up):

    D80. High-end consumer. Upgrade to the D70, with an 8 megapixel CMOS
    sensor, and mirror lock-up.

    D200. Prosumer. Answer to the 20D, with higher frame rate, 8 megapixel
    CMOS sensor, mirror lock-up and vertical grip. The D100 is obsolete.

    D3x. Full frame CMOS sensor. Answer to the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II.

    Now that Nikon apparently is able to do a CMOS sensor, they will
    leverage this as soon as possible to go up against Canon in all
    segments.
    Steven Guest

  14. #14

    My D70 has mirror lock up... Am I missing something? I used it to
    clean the ccd.

    Swriter33 Guest

  15. #15

    On 18 Feb 2005 22:29:43 -0800, "Swriter33" <com> wrote:

    Yeah. You're missing the idea that it would be nice to have mirror lock up for
    taking photos. The idea is, to flip up the mirror, and allow time for the
    resultant vibrations to die down before opening the shutter.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net
    Christopher Guest

  16. #16

    In article <google.com>, Steven
    Scharf says...

    > > Obviously the camera with the higher resolution wins...[/ref]
    >
    > I wouldn't get too excited about the difference in the sensor
    > resolution between the D70 and the 350D. You really shouldn't become
    > fixated on megapixels because there are a lot of other considerations
    > to be made in the selection of a digital SLR.[/ref]

    Unless you need the extra resolution. I wouldn't mind buying a 14 or
    22MP camera if the price was not too high. As for image quality, I'd
    guess the new 350 will produce images with (at the very least) good
    enough quality.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------

  17. #17

    Swriter33 wrote:

    Yes. Every digital SLR has mirror lock-up for cleaning the sensor. The
    D70 doesn't have mirror lock-up for actually taking photos.

    Scharf-DCA Guest

  18. #18

    Christopher Pollard wrote:

    > Yeah. You're missing the idea that it would be nice to have mirror lock up for
    > taking photos. The idea is, to flip up the mirror, and allow time for the
    > resultant vibrations to die down before opening the shutter.
    >[/ref]
    Where is this critical? I was under the impression it was used only in
    slow shutter situations, on a tripod.

    Has not the mirror pop up and back improved over the years?

    --
    John McWilliams
    John Guest

  19. #19

    "Siddhartha Jain" <co.uk> wrote in message

    I've been doing on-line research between Nikon D70 and Canon's 20D and
    Digital Rebel for some time. Also, I've spoken with several friends who
    have one system or the other and another friend who is a professional
    photographer. The preferences vary, but most folks are happy with what they
    own.

    Today, I went to the corner camera store and test drove a Digital Rebel and
    a Nikon D70. Huge difference in feel. The Canon was very small in my hands
    and was very light. The package lens felt fragile, and the controls had a
    cheap feel. In contrast, the Nikon body and kit lens had a much more solid
    feel. While weight isn't good when you're lugging it around for hours at a
    time, a camera is a tool, and should feel good in your hands.

    I'm waiting to play with a Rebel 350D before I make a decision, but right
    now, I'm leaning Nikon. I'll lean harder that way if they upgrade their
    sensor to 8mp...

    I still want to get a 20D in my hands, although I'm not sure I'm a serious
    enough user to spend the extra ~$500.

    KB

    Kyle Guest

  20. #20

    Kyle Boatright wrote:

    > I've been doing on-line research between Nikon D70 and Canon's 20D and
    > Digital Rebel for some time. Also, I've spoken with several friends who
    > have one system or the other and another friend who is a professional
    > photographer. The preferences vary, but most folks are happy with what they
    > own.
    >
    > Today, I went to the corner camera store and test drove a Digital Rebel and
    > a Nikon D70. Huge difference in feel. The Canon was very small in my hands
    > and was very light. The package lens felt fragile, and the controls had a
    > cheap feel. In contrast, the Nikon body and kit lens had a much more solid
    > feel. While weight isn't good when you're lugging it around for hours at a
    > time, a camera is a tool, and should feel good in your hands.
    >
    > I'm waiting to play with a Rebel 350D before I make a decision, but right
    > now, I'm leaning Nikon. I'll lean harder that way if they upgrade their
    > sensor to 8mp...
    >
    > I still want to get a 20D in my hands, although I'm not sure I'm a serious
    > enough user to spend the extra ~$500.
    >[/ref]
    Please post back your reflections on the 350D. Could be interesting!

    --
    John McWilliams
    John Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast