2 MP range >>>>& >>>>Nikon 3100 vs. Canon A70 ---> 3 MP range >>>> >>>>I have noted that pictures taken with Canon are "clearer/less[/ref][/ref] > > noisy/less >[ref][ref] >>>>grainy" than the ones taken with Nikon. >>> >>>You know, if this were objectively true, everyone would buy the two >>>Canons and no one the two Nikons. Still, quite a few people buy the >>>Nikons, even though the Canons provide much more flexibility. >>> >>> >>>>(I haven't compared myself, but this is my conclusion from all the >>>>online reviews I've read, notes and replies from you in these >>>>newsgroups, and sample pictures I've seen) >>> >>>I wonder which sample pictures you have in mind. I draw very different >>>conclusions from the ones that I have sen. >>> >>>For my own part I may buy a Nikon 3100 for my upcoming vacation, and I >>>do that IN SPITE OF my irritation over things like automatic ISO and all >>>the missing controls. I just think the 3100 takes better pictures with >>>more natural colors than the A70. But I am quite willing to be >>>convinced that I am wrong if you have clear evidence of the superiority >>>of the A70. >>>-- >>> Tore >>>[/ref] >> >>[/ref] > >[/ref] The A70 did indeed give less image processing on that image. Sharpening is, to some degree, an effect applied by the image processor in the camera before it's stored on the media. With the A70, things will go much better if the images are manually sharpened before you attempt to get them printed out. This can be a royal pain in the neck, but it's not an insurmountable problem in any way. There is also a low sharpen mode in the effects selection so you can even further reduce the sharpening by the DIGIC processor. I guess it's better in this case to have too little than too much, as if you try to apply too much sharpening to any image, you get noise (artifacts), and distortion. [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Mad [ip] => seglaran@earthl [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 1 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => 1 [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> 2 MP range > >>>>& > >>>>Nikon 3100 vs. Canon A70 ---> 3 MP range > >>>> > >>>>I have noted that pictures taken with Canon are "clearer/less[/ref] > > > > noisy/less > >[ref] > >>>>grainy" than the ones taken with Nikon. > >>> > >>>You know, if this were objectively true, everyone would buy the two > >>>Canons and no one the two Nikons. Still, quite a few people buy the > >>>Nikons, even though the Canons provide much more flexibility. > >>> > >>> > >>>>(I haven't compared myself, but this is my conclusion from all the > >>>>online reviews I've read, notes and replies from you in these > >>>>newsgroups, and sample pictures I've seen) > >>> > >>>I wonder which sample pictures you have in mind. I draw very different > >>>conclusions from the ones that I have sen. > >>> > >>>For my own part I may buy a Nikon 3100 for my upcoming vacation, and I > >>>do that IN SPITE OF my irritation over things like automatic ISO and all > >>>the missing controls. I just think the 3100 takes better pictures with > >>>more natural colors than the A70. But I am quite willing to be > >>>convinced that I am wrong if you have clear evidence of the superiority > >>>of the A70. > >>>-- > >>> Tore > >>> > >> > >>[/ref] > > > >[/ref] > The A70 did indeed give less image processing on that image. Sharpening > is, to some degree, an effect applied by the image processor in the > camera before it's stored on the media. With the A70, things will go > much better if the images are manually sharpened before you attempt to > get them printed out. This can be a royal pain in the neck, but it's > not an insurmountable problem in any way. There is also a low sharpen > mode in the effects selection so you can even further reduce the > sharpening by the DIGIC processor. I guess it's better in this case to > have too little than too much, as if you try to apply too much > sharpening to any image, you get noise (artifacts), and distortion.[/ref] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <3F1F2746.5D3838B0@verizon.net> [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Ray [ip] => ramar.clayton@v [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Canon vs. Nikon ---> Picture quality - Photography

Canon vs. Nikon ---> Picture quality - Photography

Kong wrote:   >> >>There could be other reasons for this, like the 2100 and 3100 being much >>smaller and >>lighter than the A60 and A70, and some other considerations like battery >>charger or >>Scene Modes which is usefull for beginners and... >>You know, not everyone is looking only for picture quality. ;) >> >> >>Consider these two pictures: >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/a40/samples/IMG_0139.JPG >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon2100/samples/DSCN0014.JPG >>Do you notice the grains on the boat bodies in 2100? >> >>or these two: >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/a40/samples/IMG_0161.JPG >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon2100/samples/DSCN0001.JPG >>Can you see the clearness of the building bricks in A40? >> >> >>(the 1st & 3rd ones are taken by A40, ...

Default Re: Canon vs. Nikon ---> Picture quality

Kong wrote:

>>
    >>There could be other reasons for this, like the 2100 and 3100 being much
    >>smaller and
    >>lighter than the A60 and A70, and some other considerations like battery
    >>charger or
    >>Scene Modes which is usefull for beginners and...
    >>You know, not everyone is looking only for picture quality. ;)
    >>
    >>
    >>Consider these two pictures:
    >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/a40/samples/IMG_0139.JPG
    >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon2100/samples/DSCN0014.JPG
    >>Do you notice the grains on the boat bodies in 2100?
    >>
    >>or these two:
    >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/a40/samples/IMG_0161.JPG
    >>http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon2100/samples/DSCN0001.JPG
    >>Can you see the clearness of the building bricks in A40?
    >>
    >>
    >>(the 1st & 3rd ones are taken by A40, for which A60 is a replacement, and[/ref]
    >
    > I

>
    > in
    > [/ref]
    >
    > noisy/less

>>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]
    The A70 did indeed give less image processing on that image. Sharpening
    is, to some degree, an effect applied by the image processor in the
    camera before it's stored on the media. With the A70, things will go
    much better if the images are manually sharpened before you attempt to
    get them printed out. This can be a royal pain in the neck, but it's
    not an insurmountable problem in any way. There is also a low sharpen
    mode in the effects selection so you can even further reduce the
    sharpening by the DIGIC processor. I guess it's better in this case to
    have too little than too much, as if you try to apply too much
    sharpening to any image, you get noise (artifacts), and distortion.

Mad Guest

Mad Viking wrote:

> >
    > > I
    > > 
    > >
    > > in
    > > 
    > >
    > > noisy/less
    > > 
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    > The A70 did indeed give less image processing on that image. Sharpening
    > is, to some degree, an effect applied by the image processor in the
    > camera before it's stored on the media. With the A70, things will go
    > much better if the images are manually sharpened before you attempt to
    > get them printed out. This can be a royal pain in the neck, but it's
    > not an insurmountable problem in any way. There is also a low sharpen
    > mode in the effects selection so you can even further reduce the
    > sharpening by the DIGIC processor. I guess it's better in this case to
    > have too little than too much, as if you try to apply too much
    > sharpening to any image, you get noise (artifacts), and distortion.[/ref]

Ray Guest

3. Moderated Post

Removed by Administrator
    Ray Guest
    Moderated Post

4. Moderated Post

Removed by Administrator
    test Guest
    Moderated Post

[POSTED TO rec.photo.digital - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <5sBTa.116524$prod.itd.earthlink.net> on Wed, 23 Jul
    2003 19:35:29 GMT, Mad Viking <net> wrote:

Binaries (e.g., uuencoded programs or pictures) should never be posted to
    discussion newsgroups; most discussion newsgroups do not permit binary posts.
    Post binaries to a *binaries* newsgroup only (or on a website or FTP server),
    with a notice in relevant discussion newsgroup(s).

--
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    [PLEASE NOTE: Ads belong *only* in rec.photo.marketplace.digital, as per
    <http://bobatkins.photo.net/info/charter.htm> <http://rpdfaq.50megs.com/>]
    John Guest

6. Moderated Post

Removed by Administrator
    Zol. Guest
    Moderated Post

7. Moderated Post

Removed by Administrator
    test Guest
    Moderated Post

In message <QPLTa.35122$blueyonder.co.uk>,
    "Zol." <com> wrote:

That's just from an arbitrary frame of reference. *All* RAW -> JPEG or
    RAW -> TIFF conversions include sharpening decisions. Where they put
    the zero point on the scale is totally arbitrary. It's all relative.
    --

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <komm> 
    JPS@no.komm Guest

In message <t2RTa.36626$blueyonder.co.uk>,
    "Zol." <com> wrote:

.... and what that camera calls "normal" sharpening may be as much as
    what another cameras calls "high" or another camera doesn't even sharpen
    to at all. See?
    --

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>