Professional Web Applications Themes

Canon will not discontinue original dRebel - Photography

"True211" <com> wrote in message news:net...  you mean at this time... Nothing is forever. I note that Canon is introducing new EF-S lenses to obsolete their film cameras. The new EF-S 60mm f:2.8 macro is nice, but being EF-S one can't pop it on their Elan, or EOS-1/3 bodies. It also shows that a full-frame consumer camera isn't on Canon's drawing boards either....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Canon will not discontinue original dRebel

    you mean at this time... Nothing is forever.

    I note that Canon is introducing new EF-S lenses to obsolete their film
    cameras. The new EF-S 60mm f:2.8 macro is nice, but being EF-S one can't pop
    it on their Elan, or EOS-1/3 bodies. It also shows that a full-frame
    consumer camera isn't on Canon's drawing boards either.

    Darrell Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Darrell Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    Default Canon will not discontinue original dRebel

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1108638359.html

    The original dRebel will remain in the EOS lineup at a reduced price.

    True211 Guest

  4. #4

    "True211" <com> wrote in

    .... at $799 list price for the kit, we may be seeing new $500 bodies
    soon. I was almost sold on the Nikon D70, but now ... the plot
    thickens. Hope to see a substantial price drop on the D70 soon.

    Some sample pics from the Rebel XT (350D):

    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/html/eosdigital2_sample_1e.html

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Guest

  5. #5

    > ... at $799 list price for the kit, we may be seeing new $500 bodies
    > soon. I was almost sold on the Nikon D70, but now ... the plot
    > thickens. Hope to see a substantial price drop on the D70 soon.[/ref]

    It seems to me that Nikon has always received a premium for their products,
    and the D70 has always been more than the Rebel. If you make your choice
    simply on price you are probably starting out from scratch. If you have a
    bag full of Nikon lenses (and Nikon has seen to it that virtually all of
    their lenses fit their new digital cameras) a couple hundred dollars won't
    make a difference to a diehard Nikon user, and there are a lot of them out
    there.

    It will also be interesting to see how the cameras stack up against each
    other, and that the reviewers don't use them like point and shoot cameras
    and base the results on those images. I've heard that an extra 2 megapixels
    may not be worth it (depends on the camera), and it's not uncommon for the
    lesser camera to take better images. I hope we're not in a megapixel war
    here, especially if the extra pixels are unusable, and people are just
    buying based on pixel count.

    I will say that the new Rebel does look like a hell of a deal, and I like
    the additional battery/portrait handle that's available for it. Looks like
    a lot of bang for the buck.

    Sheldon Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>,
    Sheldon <net> wrote:

    >> ... at $799 list price for the kit, we may be seeing new $500 bodies
    >> soon. I was almost sold on the Nikon D70, but now ... the plot
    >> thickens. Hope to see a substantial price drop on the D70 soon.[/ref]
    >
    >It seems to me that Nikon has always received a premium for their products,
    >and the D70 has always been more than the Rebel. If you make your choice
    >simply on price you are probably starting out from scratch. If you have a
    >bag full of Nikon lenses (and Nikon has seen to it that virtually all of
    >their lenses fit their new digital cameras)[/ref]

    Is that true? I thought the Nikon DSLRs required lenses with onboard
    chips, which rules out quite a lot of the older Nikon lenses.

    John Guest

  7. #7

    John Francis <com> wrote:

    Without that, the lens will still fit and work, it just won't meter.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  8. #8

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Jeremy Nixon <com> wrote:

    >Without that, the lens will still fit and work, it just won't meter.[/ref]

    Thank you for the clarification.

    I was under the impression that some of the Nikon DSLRs wouldn't even trip
    the shutter if a non-chipped lens was mounted, but it seems I was mistaken.

    John Guest

  9. #9

    > > Is that true? I thought the Nikon DSLRs required lenses with onboard
    >
    > Without that, the lens will still fit and work, it just won't meter.[/ref]

    So what lenses will work on the D70? I would need a portrait (anything from their 85 mm to their 135 mm
    equivalent fixed focus), and a 28 mm to 35 mm wide angle equivalent. I definitely need something that
    will meter.

    some Guest

  10. #10

    > Some sample pics from the Rebel XT (350D):

    That's some astounding detail!

    some Guest

  11. #11

    Default Re: witch lenses for D70 (was: Canon will not discontinue original dRebel)

    > So what lenses will work on the D70? I would need a portrait (anything

    Type G lenses and type D lenses are recommended for use with the D70.

    Jan

    Jan Guest

  12. #12

    In article <net>, some guy <com> wrote:

    >> Without that, the lens will still fit and work, it just won't meter.[/ref]
    >
    >So what lenses will work on the D70? I would need a portrait (anything from their 85 mm to their 135 mm
    >equivalent fixed focus), and a 28 mm to 35 mm wide angle equivalent. I definitely need something that
    >will meter.[/ref]

    If you don't demand autofocus or the ability to use the camera's
    built-in metering, then any AI lens will work as long as it does not
    project far enough back into the body as to hit the meter.

    The way to tell an AI lens from those which preceded it is that
    the aperture ring is the part closest to the body (on all of them, AI
    and non-AI), but the skirt of the aperture ring has been machined
    (before painting) to leave only two projections which reach close to the
    camera body. One (fairly wide), near the lens release button engages a
    lever on some cameras (e.g. the N90s) but *not* on the D70, to tell the
    camera body how many stops you are below the wide-open setting for that
    lens. The other tab, close to 180 degrees from that pont, is much
    narrower, and actuates a second lever (which *is* on the D70 body) to
    tell the body that the aperture ring is currently set at the smallest
    aperture available. This is needed to allow the camera to control the
    aperture throughout its range. If this tab does not engage the lever,
    the camera will complain unless it is switched to the manual mode.

    If the lens has an intact skirt on the aperture ring, then it
    will interfere with the sensor for the fully-stopped-down condition, and
    might damage the lever.

    The manual has a listing of lenses which can be used, and which
    cannot. The Medical Nikor (which does not have the tabs on the aperture
    ring, but which has a shorter skirt on the aperture ring, so it works in
    manual mode) is among those listed.

    Obviously, if any lens has a projection which would hit the
    contacts inside the lens-mount ring and possibly damage them, it should
    not be used.

    Check the manual to find the list of which can and cannot be
    used. (And perhaps you can find that on Nikon's web site. I'm not sure
    at the moment about that.)

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  13. #13

    In article <cv30t0$qd7$panix.com>,
    John Francis <com> wrote:

    >>Without that, the lens will still fit and work, it just won't meter.[/ref]
    >
    >Thank you for the clarification.
    >
    >I was under the impression that some of the Nikon DSLRs wouldn't even trip
    >the shutter if a non-chipped lens was mounted, but it seems I was mistaken.[/ref]

    It won't, and will display an error code, until you switch to
    manual mode. After you have done that, it will fire happily away.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

  14. #14

    some guy <com> wrote:

    Just about anything will "work", but unless you like the pain of no metering
    and manually setting the aperture, just stick with the autofocus lenses.
    Any Nikon AF lenses made since the '80s will work just fine; some of them
    will not work with "3D Matrix Metering", but I can't see any difference in
    that anyhow (possibly it makes a difference when using on-camera flash, but
    whatever).

    Personally, while I have no pre-AF non-chip Nikon lenses, I do have an AF
    lens from the late '80s (70-210 f/4) and it works perfectly with the D70.

    Certainly any Nikon lens you can buy new right now will work, with
    metering.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest