Professional Web Applications Themes

Capture event from server? - ASP Database

I don't know whether I've categorized this question correctly. My users are required to use sombody else's web site to send data to their web site's database. We also need to track the same data locally in our database (MSAccess converting to SQL Server 2000). The data creates a new record in both databases. To eliminate redundant data entry, a button in my VB6 app currently "pushes" data from fields in the app to the other party's web form. The form's submit button sends the data to the other party's database. My app intercepts the click event of the submit ...

  1. #1

    Default Capture event from server?

    I don't know whether I've categorized this question
    correctly. My users are required to use sombody else's web
    site to send data to their web site's database. We also
    need to track the same data locally in our database
    (MSAccess converting to SQL Server 2000). The data creates
    a new record in both databases. To eliminate redundant
    data entry, a button in my VB6 app currently "pushes" data
    from fields in the app to the other party's web form. The
    form's submit button sends the data to the other party's
    database. My app intercepts the click event of the submit
    button and stores the data in our database. The other
    party's database (or asp web app, not sure) then returns a
    message box if the data has been successfully entered into
    their database. This solution works most of the time.
    However, there are times when the data gets stored in our
    database, but never reaches the other party's database.
    Effectively, half of a transaction. A better solution
    would be to store the data in our database from the OK
    button of the message box that is returned after the data
    is entered into the other party's database. Is this
    possible, i.e., to trigger an event from a message box
    that is returned from the web app or its database? Is
    there another approach that would prevent data from
    ocassionally being entered into only one database?
    Paul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Capture event from server?

    How are you sending data to the web-site?
    If you are using a component in your VB app to do an HTTP POST then just
    p the returned text to determine if the update was successful.

    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    "Paul" <pauldanaselfinc.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know whether I've categorized this question
    > correctly. My users are required to use sombody else's web
    > site to send data to their web site's database. We also
    > need to track the same data locally in our database
    > (MSAccess converting to SQL Server 2000). The data creates
    > a new record in both databases. To eliminate redundant
    > data entry, a button in my VB6 app currently "pushes" data
    > from fields in the app to the other party's web form. The
    > form's submit button sends the data to the other party's
    > database. My app intercepts the click event of the submit
    > button and stores the data in our database. The other
    > party's database (or asp web app, not sure) then returns a
    > message box if the data has been successfully entered into
    > their database. This solution works most of the time.
    > However, there are times when the data gets stored in our
    > database, but never reaches the other party's database.
    > Effectively, half of a transaction. A better solution
    > would be to store the data in our database from the OK
    > button of the message box that is returned after the data
    > is entered into the other party's database. Is this
    > possible, i.e., to trigger an event from a message box
    > that is returned from the web app or its database? Is
    > there another approach that would prevent data from
    > ocassionally being entered into only one database?

    Mark Schupp Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Paul,

    How did you embed the web page in your VB application, with a webbrowser
    control? How did the third party web page return a Message Box to yuor
    application?

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]
    rights.)

    MSFT Guest

  4. #4

    I used a webbrowser control in my application. I don't
    know what generates the message from the other party's web
    site. It resembles a message box, though it may be
    generated some other way.

    and confers no

    pauldana@selfinc.com Guest

  5. #5

    I think you may add the code in the webcontrol's DoentComplete event,
    When you submit the data to the third party web page, add it return back,
    this event will be fired.

  6. #6

    Hello,

    If my suggestion is not clear or you didn't think it can resolve the
    problem, please post your comments here. I will continue to follow up on
    this issue.

    Thanks,