Professional Web Applications Themes

Capture Server Error - Adobe Acrobat Windows

ooh, that's gonna provoke a response .... Judging from the previous posts, Richard is not shy of spending money on applications etc, I bet the VPC is a lot less than say Acrobat 6 STD, and he gets to keep a GUI that he is familiar with etc. Not a bad solution when you think of it. Another solution would be to have kept the Win98 installation, and installed XP as well, dual boot, not sure how you could transfer files between the two OS' though....

  1. #21

    Default Re: Capture Server Error

    Ian_Mellors@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    not sure how you could transfer files between the two OS' though.

    Just have a partition with no OS installed on it and use that. You may also want to have another partition for swap files depending on how much disk space per OS you have.

    I have to agree - the dual boot would be my preferred choice.
    Dorian_Grey@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #23

    VPC is legitimate, paid for and properly licenced, as is the Win 98 I installed using it. Both have been on the shelf for some time (5 years in the case of the Win 98:-)) just waiting for this moment!

    As it happens my main PC, a Compaq notebook, is dual boot between XP and Win2K (using regular NT boot features) but I really don't want to reboot just for a doent here or there. The Win2k partition is for one of my client sites (their corporate build) and keeping it up to date (MS updates for secure this, secure that...) is a big issue while I am not working there. Indeed it would also be an issue, though less, even if it were my own Win 2k install.

    All in all the VPC suits me best - no AV or firewall or updates needed - just use it standalone (no network access in or out) for this specific purpose, and maybe other legacy apps in future.

    Re AV and Firewalls - the VPC does not see the host OS or disk except for the one shared folder that looks to the VPC like a mapped drive. To the host OS (XP) that place is just a regular folder.

    In fact, having done this I might even move my dual booted Win2k into a VPC and run a single boot PC - I son't know if that hosted Win2k would be able to be in a different domain to the host OS and yet use the host OS and NIC to get to the corporate domain. But that isn't an Adobe problem so I'll take that discussion away elsewhere.

    Enjoy!
    William_Hite@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12