Professional Web Applications Themes

Capturing queries sent to SQL Server - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I use a software package that queries a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 database from a client side Windows application. The client application has a built in report generator that allows users to easily produce complex reports. The client application was written in Delphi, and uses Borland's BDE to connect to the SQL Server. I would like to trap the SQL code that is being produced and sent to the SQL Server from the report generator (so that I can get a get a better understanding of how to directly query the database outside of the report generator). Any suggestions on ...

  1. #1

    Default Capturing queries sent to SQL Server

    I use a software package that queries a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 database
    from a client side Windows application. The client application has a built
    in report generator that allows users to easily produce complex reports.
    The client application was written in Delphi, and uses Borland's BDE to
    connect to the SQL Server.

    I would like to trap the SQL code that is being produced and sent to the
    SQL Server from the report generator (so that I can get a get a better
    understanding of how to directly query the database outside of the report
    generator).

    Any suggestions on how to do this? Are there any third party products that
    can provide me with this capability?

    Thanks,
    Dean
    dean Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Capturing queries sent to SQL Server

    One of my favourite tools will do this "Profiler". It is in your SQL Server
    program group.

    --

    Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
    MCSE,MCDBA

    "dean" <deanbillings> wrote in message
    news:Xns93B61780A829Bdean918yahoocom24.168.128.78 ...
    > I use a software package that queries a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 database
    > from a client side Windows application. The client application has a
    built
    > in report generator that allows users to easily produce complex reports.
    > The client application was written in Delphi, and uses Borland's BDE to
    > connect to the SQL Server.
    >
    > I would like to trap the SQL code that is being produced and sent to the
    > SQL Server from the report generator (so that I can get a get a better
    > understanding of how to directly query the database outside of the report
    > generator).
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to do this? Are there any third party products
    that
    > can provide me with this capability?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dean

    Allan Mitchell Guest

  3. #3

    Dean,

    You don't need a third party product. Take a look a SQL Profiler that comes
    with SQL Server. The following article will help you get the most out of
    Profiler [url]http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_profiler_tips.asp[/url].

    J.R.
    Largo SQL Tools
    The Finest Collection of SQL Tools Available
    [url]http://www.largosqltools.com[/url]

    "dean" <deanbillings> wrote in message
    news:Xns93B61780A829Bdean918yahoocom24.168.128.78 ...
    > I use a software package that queries a Microsoft SQL Server 2000 database
    > from a client side Windows application. The client application has a
    built
    > in report generator that allows users to easily produce complex reports.
    > The client application was written in Delphi, and uses Borland's BDE to
    > connect to the SQL Server.
    >
    > I would like to trap the SQL code that is being produced and sent to the
    > SQL Server from the report generator (so that I can get a get a better
    > understanding of how to directly query the database outside of the report
    > generator).
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to do this? Are there any third party products
    that
    > can provide me with this capability?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dean

    Largo SQL Tools Guest

  4. #4

    And if you have already looked there and could not find anything but
    parameter passing. Get the SPID and find the first calls that define the
    procedure.

    If it is totally obscure, Net Monitor will show you the text in
    any packet sent to your machine.

    I think that you should use SQL Profiler so that you have this skill
    in your tool bag anyway.

    "Largo SQL Tools" <nospam> wrote in message
    > Dean,
    >
    > You don't need a third party product. Take a look a SQL Profiler that
    comes
    > with SQL Server. The following article will help you get the most out of
    > Profiler
    [url]http://www.sql-server-performance.com/sql_server_profiler_tips.asp[/url].

    > J.R.
    > Largo SQL Tools
    > The Finest Collection of SQL Tools Available
    > [url]http://www.largosqltools.com[/url]
    >

    > "dean" <deanbillings> wrote in message
    > news:Xns93B61780A829Bdean918yahoocom24.168.128.78 ...
    > > I use a software package that queries a Microsoft SQL Server 2000
    database
    > > from a client side Windows application. The client application has a
    > built
    > > in report generator that allows users to easily produce complex reports.
    > > The client application was written in Delphi, and uses Borland's BDE to
    > > connect to the SQL Server.
    > >
    > > I would like to trap the SQL code that is being produced and sent to the
    > > SQL Server from the report generator (so that I can get a get a better
    > > understanding of how to directly query the database outside of the
    report
    > > generator).
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on how to do this? Are there any third party products
    > that
    > > can provide me with this capability?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Dean

    Jay Schmitendorf Guest

  5. #5

    Profiler is definitely your best option. One of the best tools available
    and well worth the perceived 'non productive' time spent using/learning it.

    "dean" <com> wrote in message
    built
    that

    Stressed Guest