Professional Web Applications Themes

Carbon Copy Cloner: how to backup/restore OS X? - Mac Applications & Software

Using Carbon Copy Cloner, how does one: 1. Backup all files except those that make up OS X? 2. Restore only OS X from a backup of an entire disc (consisting of OS X and all applications and doents)? I'm considering backing up the OS and all other files separately, such that if the OS tanks, I can restore only that, whereas if the drive directory corrputs, I'll have to restore the entire image. PowerBook G3/400; OS X 10.2.8; CCC 2.2 Thanks, -- Dave C com...

  1. #1

    Default Carbon Copy Cloner: how to backup/restore OS X?

    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Carbon Copy Cloner: how to backup/restore OS X?

    In article <individual.net>, DaveC
    <com> wrote:

    RTFM
    Guest

  3. #3

    In article <230920031125343012%it>,
    <it> wrote:

    > RTFM[/ref]

    DaveC CAN'T read. cf his prior whinnings.

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 3:24:14 -0700, it wrote
    (in message <230920031125343012%it>):

    The "fine manual" describes
    1. How to back-up OS X via the command-line interface, or
    2. How to clone the entire drive using CCC

    It does not describe how to
    1. copy and/or restore *only* OS X via the CCC application, or
    2. copy and/or restore *only* all files *except* OS X files via the CCC
    application.

    Specifically missing is mention of how to be sure to back-up the infinite
    number of invisible OS files.

    Any help answering *those* questions would be gratefully appreciated.
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  5. #5

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    You can select/exclude individual folders from the source drive.

    Infinite number? All files and folders at the file tree root of the
    source drive are displayed. When a folder is copied, all files within
    it are copied.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  6. #6

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 6:53:06 -0700, Tom Stiller wrote
    (in message <comcast.giganews.com>):

     [/ref]

    OK, maybe not "infinite". But see the number of files that Bombich suggests
    backing up using the command-line interface (scroll down to "Cloning a disk
    or backing up your drive with ditto"):

    http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html

    And he also suggests recreating symbolic links and empty directories, copying
    the resource fork of many files, and blessing the system folder.

    Are any of these functions available in CCC in an automated form? It seems
    not (except if you just want to back-up the entire drive, then they are all
    peformed, I think).

    How can I back-up OS X (only) to one disk image, and all other files to
    another, such that all I have to do to restore and boot is to copy those
    files to the HD after recovering the drive?

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  7. #7

    I have the same request. The OS in my b&wG3 is messed up). I'm want to
    save my apps, etc on one backup. I'm then going to initalize my HD and
    put is a new OS. When I get a good clean OS, I, too, want the ability
    to create a backup of just that clean OS.

    --
    Dowop
    Dowop Guest

  8. #8

    In article <individual.net>, DaveC
    <com> wrote:

    In the doentation, go to 'Using CCC'.
    In there there is a section entitled 'Instructions'.
    Point 2 of these instructions tells you what you need to know.
    In fact the application itself has a little note in the main window
    telling you how to do this.

    To copy and/or restore *only* OS X, select your 'Users' folder and any
    other folders you have added to the top level folder and press the
    'delete' button.

    To copy and/or restore *only* all files *except* OS X files, select all
    files and folders except your 'Users' folder and any other folders you
    have added and then press the delete button.

    The delete button is the button with a red circle with a red line going
    through it.

    The backup of all of the invisible files used by the OS will be
    accomplished if you follow the instructions above to copy and/or
    restore *only* OS X.

    Rob.
    simples_it@yahoo.it Guest

  9. #9

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:12:19 -0700, it wrote
    (in message <230920031913359777%yahoo.co.uk>):

    Rob,
    Thanks for that.

    I see on the Root level of my hard drive, folders called Help and Doents
    which contain some OS stuff, and some application-specific stuff. I have not
    created these, but application installers have, or OS X has (some are
    obvious, some are not). What should I do with these; back then up or not? It
    is decisions like these that I was hoping to avoid with an automatic OS
    backup mechanism within CCC or other application.

    So there is no automatic way to back-up the OS; only folders and files I
    select will be backed-up, correct?

    In other words, all files and folders on the root level of the drive that are
    not created by me or by an application I installed, is an OS file/folder. By
    eliminating my -- and the application's -- files and folders, what remains is
    the OS' files. (This includes invisible OS files.) Is this what you are
    saying?

    It seems that it is because copying files and folders with CCC (as compared
    to the Finder) includes invisible files and folders that one can back-up OS
    X.
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  10. #10

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    Foresight. You should have partitioned your disk so that the boot volume
    contains only OS-X, and perhaps some of those apps that insist they will
    not run anywhere but inside /Applications.

    Sorry to bore witless other gentle readers, but nearly the first thing I
    see on that page, in big bold letters, is:

    Note: These instructions provide the command-line instructions
    for manual backups or clones. Carbon Copy Cloner follows the
    rules laid out below -- you do not need to follow any of these
    instructions if you use Carbon Copy Cloner.
    Peter Guest

  11. #11

    <com> wrote:

    > Rob,
    > Thanks for that.
    >
    > I see on the Root level of my hard drive, folders called Help and Doents
    > which contain some OS stuff, and some application-specific stuff. I have not
    > created these, but application installers have, or OS X has (some are
    > obvious, some are not). What should I do with these; back then up or not? It
    > is decisions like these that I was hoping to avoid with an automatic OS
    > backup mechanism within CCC or other application.[/ref]

    With any backup stategy, you have to decide what the files/folders
    (including OS ones) are that you want to backup. Only you can decide
    what is valuable/important to you. No software can do that for you.

    See above.

    If you started with a blank disk, then yes.

    Good observation.

    Rob.
    simples_it@yahoo.it Guest