Professional Web Applications Themes

Cardbus Firewire card doesn't work in Lombard - Mac Portable

Just bought an ST Lab CardBus Firewire card (dongle-less with three ports) to replace a Belkin card with a broken dongle. I'm using this in a Lombard G3 Powerbook running OS 9.2. I can't get this card to work despite its specs saying it's compatible with OS 8.6 and above. The PC card icon does not show up on the desktop and no FireWire devices are recognized. The FireWire enablers are in the Extensions folder. The company says that no drivers are needed. Email to the technical support department (at a .com.hk domain) has not been returned. Any suggestions???? +++++++++++++++++++++++++ ...

  1. #1

    Default Cardbus Firewire card doesn't work in Lombard

    Just bought an ST Lab CardBus Firewire card (dongle-less with three
    ports) to replace a Belkin card with a broken dongle. I'm using this
    in a Lombard G3 Powerbook running OS 9.2.

    I can't get this card to work despite its specs saying it's compatible
    with OS 8.6 and above. The PC card icon does not show up on the
    desktop and no FireWire devices are recognized.

    The FireWire enablers are in the Extensions folder.

    The company says that no drivers are needed. Email to the technical
    support department (at a .com.hk domain) has not been returned.

    Any suggestions????
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)

    I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Cardbus Firewire card doesn't work in Lombard

    Have you tried starting your machine with the card in place. I was unable to
    get a different brand of card to work in my G3 Wallstreet until I did that.
    Try it if you haven't.

    "H.B. Elkins" wrote:
    > Just bought an ST Lab CardBus Firewire card (dongle-less with three
    > ports) to replace a Belkin card with a broken dongle. I'm using this
    > in a Lombard G3 Powerbook running OS 9.2.
    >
    > I can't get this card to work despite its specs saying it's compatible
    > with OS 8.6 and above. The PC card icon does not show up on the
    > desktop and no FireWire devices are recognized.
    >
    > The FireWire enablers are in the Extensions folder.
    >
    > The company says that no drivers are needed. Email to the technical
    > support department (at a .com.hk domain) has not been returned.
    >
    > Any suggestions????
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > H.B. Elkins mailto:hbelkinsmis.net or mailto:HBE1aol.com
    > [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url]
    > [url]http://www.users.mis.net/~hbelkins[/url]
    >
    > "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    > --Dale Jarrett, on Dale Earnhardt (RIP 2/18/01)
    >
    > I'm for Waltrip, Kentucky and whoever's playing North Carolina or Tennessee
    > To reply, you gotta do what NASCAR won't -- remove the restrictor plates!
    > +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Tom Cornell Guest

  4. #4

    "Tom Cornell" <tvcornelmindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried starting your machine with the card in place. I was unable
    > get a different brand of card to work in my G3 Wallstreet until I did
    that.
    > Try it if you haven't.
    >
    > "H.B. Elkins" wrote:
    >
    > > Just bought an ST Lab CardBus Firewire card (dongle-less with three
    > > ports) to replace a Belkin card with a broken dongle. I'm using this
    > > in a Lombard G3 Powerbook running OS 9.2.
    > >
    > > I can't get this card to work despite its specs saying it's compatible
    > > with OS 8.6 and above. The PC card icon does not show up on the
    > > desktop and no FireWire devices are recognized.
    > >
    > > The FireWire enablers are in the Extensions folder.
    > >
    > > The company says that no drivers are needed. Email to the technical
    > > support department (at a .com.hk domain) has not been returned.

    I doubt this. I bought an Adaptec firewire card for my Wallstreet. No
    drivers needed for OS X, but I still needed the drivers for OS 9, and none
    were to be found on Adaptec's website. I finally got the installation CD and
    all was well thereafter. A small 150kb package had to be installed before
    the Firewire icon showed on the desktop. I doubt very much whether your card
    will work as is. If OS 9 does not support the Adaptec card, it's unlikely to
    have drivers built in for a smaller company like ST Labs. Bear in mind that
    the dongleless cards came out after OS 9.2.2 and Apple had ceased all
    development (i.e. bundling drivers) on OS 9 by then. Your best bet is to ask
    around the Macfixit and similar forums.

    rtt Guest

  5. #5

    this may not help but I had a similar problem and I had forgotten to
    remove the drivers for the old firewire card and apparently they
    conflicted.
    llb Guest