Professional Web Applications Themes

Care Maintenance and Finger Prints - Photography

Ok, so I am a D70 owner for less than a week and I already have a huge fingerprint smeared across my lens. And I do not have the slightest clue as to how it should be cleaned (properly). I ordered the camera kit online so no one was there to "sell" me a cleaning kit. Maybe this is a good thing; I might have gotten the wrong kit that way. You pros, what do you use/recommend for camera and lens care and maintenance? Thanks much, Avery A. Hise...

  1. #1

    Default Care Maintenance and Finger Prints

    Ok, so I am a D70 owner for less than a week and I already have a huge
    fingerprint smeared across my lens. And I do not have the slightest
    clue as to how it should be cleaned (properly).

    I ordered the camera kit online so no one was there to "sell" me a
    cleaning kit. Maybe this is a good thing; I might have gotten the wrong
    kit that way.

    You pros, what do you use/recommend for camera and lens care and
    maintenance?

    Thanks much,
    Avery A. Hise

    Avery Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Care Maintenance and Finger Prints

    "Avery" <net> wrote in message

    Do NOT allow a fingerprint to stay on your lens for any length of time.
    Fingerprints have oils that will etch themselves into the glass.

    Get a lens cleaning kit any local camera shop and clean the lens with
    micro-fiber paper.

    C Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    C Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote:

    Good advise. The best photo is taken with a truly CLEAN lens.

    Oh, C'MON! (I respectfully disagree.)

    That has to be right "up there" with [Pepto-Bismol actually COATS the inside
    of my stomach] advertising campaign of many years ago.

    Given a lens of high optical quality, and a healthy, "normal" human being, I
    suspect that body does not exude any substance capable of etching glass.

    More good advice. That reminds me, I have some gunk on my primary lens filter.

    UF filter for protection: Should I, or should I not, use a (brand X) UV
    filter to protect the front optic of my two EOS lenses?

    What's the predominant practice these days?

    (I *DO* have a [my lens was saved by a filter in a drop] story.)

    :)
    JR
    Jim Guest

  5. #5

    "Jim Redelfs" <com> wrote in message

    > Good advise. The best photo is taken with a truly CLEAN lens.

    > Oh, C'MON! (I respectfully disagree.)
    >
    > That has to be right "up there" with [Pepto-Bismol actually COATS the[/ref]
    inside

    You may suspect something, but that does not mean you have a clue. :-) To
    the contrary, most experts say that fingerprints will etch themselves into
    camera lenses, especially if the lens is exposed to UV light (which it is
    unless you use it entirely in some sort of UV filtered closed room). Even a
    cursory search of photographic web sites will turn up hundreds of warnings
    about this. Also, I have seen it happen personally.

    C Guest

  6. #6

    Avery wrote:

    Pros are sometimes scary and will use their cotton shirt to clean a lens.

    A microfibre cloth (available in most photo stores) used in a circular
    pattern is usually all you need. If something sticky gets on there then
    a solvent like very small amounts of Kodak lens cleaner with lens
    tissues is the way to go, followed by the microfibre cloth.

    You should decide whether or not to put a filter on the front of the
    lens to keep dirt/dust/grime off of the front element. (A UV filter is
    the typical choice). I use them on my fat/shallow-hooded lenses, not on
    my deeper hooded lenses. I sometimed remove them when shooting if the
    conditions permit it (no water, dirt, dust flying around, no kiddies
    with curious fingers, etc.)

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  7. #7

    In article <com>,
    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Ouch! (truth hurts)

    I'll get a clue and take your word for it. Danka.

    :)
    JR
    Jim Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:38:22 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    <com> wrote:

    snipped

    Although I agree fingerprints should be avoided or removed promptly, I
    have always thought that warnings against them actually etching glass
    are a bit exaggerated at best. Logic refuses to allow me to wrap my
    brain around it. Perhaps it started as a warning that residual oils
    and etc. from dirty fingers may have an adverse effect on earlier less
    robust lens coatings. I have dealt with some very strong industrial
    acids and other etching compounds for several years. I also have
    accidentally overlooked fingerprints for quite awhile on a lens with
    absolutely no damage whatsoever. I have also never personally read
    anything with empirical evidence in support of that belief. If such
    evidence appears on line authored by a legitimate source I would
    greatly appreciate a link. Thanks
    ZONED! Guest

  9. #9

    "ZONED!" <net> wrote in message
    > Although I agree fingerprints should be avoided or removed promptly, I
    > have always thought that warnings against them actually etching glass
    > are a bit exaggerated at best.[/ref]

    Chuck DeLaney, the dean of the New York Institute of Photography, says that
    fingerprints will etch themselves into glass here:

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C1114204A

    C Guest

  10. #10

    C J Campbell posted:
    > > Although I agree fingerprints should be avoided or removed promptly, I
    > > have always thought that warnings against them actually etching glass
    > > are a bit exaggerated at best.[/ref]
    >

    > Chuck DeLaney, the dean of the New York Institute of Photography, says that
    > fingerprints will etch themselves into glass here:
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C1114204A[/ref]

    He's not actually saying that the oil etches into the glass, but into
    the coatings on the glass (also at risk from overzealous cleaning).
    Anyway, you don't want to leave fingerprints on for very long, since
    regardless of whether it's the coating or the actual glass, it can't be
    "fixed."
    --
    Petros
    Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos

  11. #11

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:57:25 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    <com> wrote:

    >> Although I agree fingerprints should be avoided or removed promptly, I
    >> have always thought that warnings against them actually etching glass
    >> are a bit exaggerated at best.[/ref]
    >

    >Chuck DeLaney, the dean of the New York Institute of Photography, says that
    >fingerprints will etch themselves into glass here:
    >
    >http://makeashorterlink.com/?C1114204A
    >
    >[/ref]
    No he doesn't, unless I am missing something. He DOES mention the
    coating as I had, in the part of my post that you chose to snip in
    your reply. Besides, I asked for empirical evidence IE. capable of
    being verified or disproved by observation or experiment. I really do
    not want to get into a long drawn out discussion, but until it has
    been proven to me, my experience disproves it and I do not think it
    applies to today's coated lenses. While some oils CAN hurt certain
    soft plastics, they cannot etch glass.
    ZONED! Guest

  12. #12

    After you get the lens cleaned, place a UV or Skylight filter on the lens to
    protect it. From that point on you can pretty much spit on the filter and
    clean it with a soft cotton cloth. The lens is now protected from this
    point on. If the filter gets destroyed just replace it. A lot cheaper than
    replacing a broken lens.

    "Avery" <net> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  13. #13

    ZONED! wrote:

    I'm sure you are right. But the chemistry doesn't stop there. I'm sure I
    remember, from a long time ago (nothing to do with modern multi-coatings)
    that micro-organisms (bacteria or fungi or moulds) can grow in the oils from
    a fingerprint and generate acids. It is one of the causes of damage to stone
    buildings (the organisms, rather than fingerprints!).

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

    Mike Guest

  14. #14

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:55:35 -0000, "Mike Coon"
    <mjcoonconnectfee.co.uk> wrote:

    >I'm sure you are right. But the chemistry doesn't stop there. I'm sure I
    >remember, from a long time ago (nothing to do with modern multi-coatings)
    >that micro-organisms (bacteria or fungi or moulds) can grow in the oils from
    >a fingerprint and generate acids. It is one of the causes of damage to stone
    >buildings (the organisms, rather than fingerprints!).
    >
    >Mike.
    >--[/ref]

    I can grasp that but time and amout of buildup on old buildings seems
    to be out of the same ballpark as fingerprints on lenses. Besides,
    many acids (much much stronger than something coming off of my
    fingers) are bottled in both plastics and glass. Strong hydrofluoric
    acid is used to etch glass.
    ZONED! Guest

  15. #15

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:55:35 -0000, "Mike Coon"
    <mjcoonconnectfee.co.uk> wrote:

    >I'm sure you are right. But the chemistry doesn't stop there. I'm sure I
    >remember, from a long time ago (nothing to do with modern multi-coatings)
    >that micro-organisms (bacteria or fungi or moulds) can grow in the oils from
    >a fingerprint and generate acids. It is one of the causes of damage to stone
    >buildings (the organisms, rather than fingerprints!).
    >
    >Mike.[/ref]

    Sodium chloride or common salt, the chemical compound NaCl, found in
    perspiration. You dont think that drying on a lens is the problem by
    any chance? It will I believe form an attatchment to glass which can
    only be removed by abrasives. So the problem is not so much etching
    but a cohesion of a moderately hard (2.5) crust to the surface.
    An example is sea spray on a car windscreen which if left to dry
    overtime will give the appearance and in fact the feel of being etched
    into the glass but can be removed with a mild abrasive and a lot of
    energy!

    Bruin Guest

  16. #16

    Bruin wrote:

    >> I'm sure you are right. But the chemistry doesn't stop there. I'm
    >> sure I remember, from a long time ago (nothing to do with modern
    >> multi-coatings) that micro-organisms (bacteria or fungi or moulds)
    >> can grow in the oils from a fingerprint and generate acids. It is
    >> one of the causes of damage to stone buildings (the organisms,
    >> rather than fingerprints!).
    >>
    >> Mike.[/ref]
    >
    > Sodium chloride or common salt, the chemical compound NaCl, found in
    > perspiration. You dont think that drying on a lens is the problem by
    > any chance? It will I believe form an attatchment to glass which can
    > only be removed by abrasives. So the problem is not so much etching
    > but a cohesion of a moderately hard (2.5) crust to the surface.
    > An example is sea spray on a car windscreen which if left to dry
    > overtime will give the appearance and in fact the feel of being etched
    > into the glass but can be removed with a mild abrasive and a lot of
    > energy![/ref]

    I am beginning my second year with these lenses: middle-distance
    eyeglasses. They are UV- and protective-coated, and in daily use. They
    are eye-brow and finger-grease printed several times a day, and
    subjected to perspiration, wet and dried, daily.

    I wash them with dish detergent one or more times a day. Rinsed in hot,
    sometimes scalding water, it takes just a couple of shakes to remove all
    the water from the lenses. Seldom use a cloth to finish the process, and
    then more from habit than need.

    I'd hope and expect that modern camera lenses incorporate the same or
    similarly advanced protective technologies. One estimable authority
    reports a demonstration by a major lensmaker's factory representative:
    he stubbed out a burning cigarette on a lens, leaving the lens
    unaffected.

    --
    Frank ess

    PS: After a way-too-long history of head-tilting to look at computer
    monitors through the middle zone of trifocal lenses, I had a light bulb
    go on: ordered the center prescription as a full-lens application. What
    I told the optometrist: "Most of my work is just six inches beyond the
    end of my outstreced fingers; make them for that." Best investment I
    ever made in vision enhancement. No more neck strain at the computer,
    and the prescription, while not perfect for distance or closeup vision,
    works good enough that I seldom need to look around the glasses (reading
    small print) or pick up distant-vision glasses (driving only)..

    F e

    After a year of such treatment they remain as sparkly and unblemished as
    the day I first put them on.

    Frank Guest

  17. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator