Professional Web Applications Themes

Care to comment on .mac? for newbie - Mac Applications & Software

I don't know if this is the right group to post this message to, but could anybody comment on .mac for me. Should I invest? Worth it? Anything else out there like it for free/cheaper? Keep in mind, I am a long time PC user who is switching to apple (an iMac) for the first time. Thanks in advance for any advice on .mac (or anything else)....

  1. #1

    Default Care to comment on .mac? for newbie

    I don't know if this is the right group to post this message to, but
    could anybody comment on .mac for me. Should I invest? Worth it?
    Anything else out there like it for free/cheaper? Keep in mind, I am a
    long time PC user who is switching to apple (an iMac) for the first
    time. Thanks in advance for any advice on .mac (or anything else).

    Andrew Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Care to comment on .mac? for newbie

    Andrew <umd.edu> writes:

    You need to look over the features that .mac give you.

    If all you want is e-mail, it's a _horrible_ deal. IMAP with
    much more storage and an outgoing SMTP server which is not
    misconfigured is available for lots less.

    However, .mac is lots more than just their crappy e-mail.

    The webDAV ("iDisk") is nice. The home page stuff is pretty
    good as is the excellent integration with iPhoto for putting
    photo albums online.

    The automated sync stuff with iSync is excellent (and that
    alone might make it worth it for some folks I know).

    Impossible to give you advice without more information about
    your own needs.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bmehdm$pj7$wam.umd.edu>, Andrew
    <umd.edu> wrote:

    Depends on what you'll be using it for. Will you need web page space?
    You'll get 100 MB of it. Want a place to store doents and such to
    access from multiple places? You can also use your 100 MB for that via
    your .Mac account's iDisk. Will you want to synchronize Safari
    bookmarks, Address Book data, iCal data, etc between two or more
    computers? Easy, with a .Mac account and iSync. Want to publish your
    calendar on the web? Easy with .Mac and iCal. Are you planning to buy
    a virus checker? You'll get Virex free with a .Mac account. Plus
    there are always special deals throughout the year, where you can get
    software for free or a reduced price through your .Mac account.

    All in all, I've found it to be a bargain. However, if you look
    through all this and think "Gee, I don't really need much of that",
    then perhaps it won't be a bargain for you.

    --
    -Thomas

    <http://www.bitjuggler.com/>
    Thomas Guest

  4. #4

    In article <panix.com>,
    <net> wrote:

    > You need to look over the features that .mac give you.
    >
    > If all you want is e-mail, it's a _horrible_ deal. IMAP with
    > much more storage and an outgoing SMTP server which is not
    > misconfigured is available for lots less.
    >
    > However, .mac is lots more than just their crappy e-mail.
    >
    > The webDAV ("iDisk") is nice. The home page stuff is pretty
    > good as is the excellent integration with iPhoto for putting
    > photo albums online.
    >
    > The automated sync stuff with iSync is excellent (and that
    > alone might make it worth it for some folks I know).

    > Impossible to give you advice without more information about
    > your own needs.[/ref]

    All you said and the free stuff and discounts that are offered
    periodically are just icing on the cake.

    Just saying iSync may not be enough info for him. What it means is
    that your address book on your mac and iCal on your mac can be synced
    with .mac as well as Palm devices. (you can get PocketPC sync stuff
    3rd party).

    ..mac is a handy tool that is online and well integrated with OSX at
    your desktop.

    --
    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  5. #5

    Andrew <umd.edu> wrote:

    ..mac provides an email address and a website both which are probably
    provided by your ISP so you can decided what that is worth. I use
    firemail.de for my email addresses - free and reliable.

    But what .mac really provides is a tight integration between your Mac
    and your online presence. Having iDisk is nice - it provides a
    convenient place to store important information off site. I sometimes
    use it to transfer a file from home to work (you can access it even from
    Windows)

    Putting up a website to show off pictures of your holiday or son's
    football game or whatever is smashingly simple. Put the photo's into
    iPhoto, clean them up, and hit the create website button. Done and done.

    Apple also provides some freebies that, if you are interested in them,
    also adds icing to the cake. I really like StickyBrain but don't much
    care for the rest. Maybe I'll play with iBlog in a few weeks.

    So. Does a .mac email address and website sound good? Add iDisk and OS
    integration. Stir and pour. Sound interesting? Go for it.

    For what it is worth, though I don't use a .mac address, my family
    decided it was a good deal.
    No Guest

  6. #6

    I really don't need an e-mail address. But the online storage sounds
    nice, as does syncing my calendar/schedule, etc.

    One question (coming from a pc background mind you) -- is .mac, or any
    other software, easy to remove from the iMac once you decide you no
    longer want it? As you may know, with PC's, nothing's ever really gone.
    There's always something there to remind you of the programs' presence.
    Maybe even worse than a reminder. Thanks in advance.

    No SPAM Sam wrote:

    >.mac provides an email address and a website both which are probably
    >provided by your ISP so you can decided what that is worth. I use
    >firemail.de for my email addresses - free and reliable.
    >
    >But what .mac really provides is a tight integration between your Mac
    >and your online presence. Having iDisk is nice - it provides a
    >convenient place to store important information off site. I sometimes
    >use it to transfer a file from home to work (you can access it even from
    >Windows)
    >
    >Putting up a website to show off pictures of your holiday or son's
    >football game or whatever is smashingly simple. Put the photo's into
    >iPhoto, clean them up, and hit the create website button. Done and done.
    >
    >Apple also provides some freebies that, if you are interested in them,
    >also adds icing to the cake. I really like StickyBrain but don't much
    >care for the rest. Maybe I'll play with iBlog in a few weeks.
    >
    >So. Does a .mac email address and website sound good? Add iDisk and OS
    >integration. Stir and pour. Sound interesting? Go for it.
    >
    >For what it is worth, though I don't use a .mac address, my family
    >decided it was a good deal.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Andrew Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bmf2sd$844$wam.umd.edu>, Andrew
    <umd.edu> wrote:

    ..mac is not software, it is your 100Mbyte subscription service. There
    is software that will work with .mac though.

    iSync, iCal and others make use of your .mac ( it is actually your
    iDisk) Coming in Panther (the next OSX), you can have your iDisk in
    total, mirrored on your local hard drive. It will keep it in sync in
    the background. If you are on broadband, that could be very handy.

    Currently I use Apple's backup utility to backup files I want to my
    iDisk. It is handy and safe.

    Removing software from the mac is generally just an erase, no uninstall
    procedure. That said, there are plist files (think of them as
    preferences) that might be left behind. Apple doesn't use anything
    like the registry on a system wide basis, the plist comes closest I
    think, but it is on an app basis. If you remove the app, the plist
    just never gets looked at.

    The side effect of that is that most software can just be copied on
    with no install procedure. I just set up a new (for me) Powerbook.
    Loaded OSX, then just copied MS OfficeX over. It was ready to run
    right then.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  8. #8

    Andrew <umd.edu> writes:

    [First off, please don't top-post without editing the remainder.
    See http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting for more info]
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    [missing from this summation is the automatic sync between
    different computers via iSync, .mac for the address book,
    bookmarks and calendar]

    There is no substitute for the sync stuff. Online storage via
    iDisk is standard DAV stuff. I don't know, off the top of my
    head, of any other cheap webDAV services out there. I do, however,
    use InterArchy's "ftpDisk" and sync up certain folders with
    ftp servers out there, and that works with any standard ftp server.

    ..mac is not software on your local computer, or, at least, to
    use .mac, one doesn't add or remove any local software that's
    not part of the system already. .mac is a _service_, or actually,
    a set of services provided online by Apple.

    As far as removing software from your mac, well, the answer is
    that it depends. Some software is as easy to remove as just
    dragging the application icon into the trash. Other software
    may require an uninstaller, particularly software which has
    components which run as services on the machine. You need
    to be more specific, again, with your question.

    However, for the most part, yes, removing software is trivial.
    Drag and drop and you're done.