Professional Web Applications Themes

Career Advise - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi Group, I am in the starting phases of my career, just having spend 3 years in the computer industry, but I am confused where to go from this stage. I am having experience in C, C++ and unix, interested in Unix Shell scripting, some knowledge of perl, cgi and having some knowledge of unix system programming. I am not able to decide where to go from here, developement(C,Cpp), system administration or some other trend. One thing is sure that I want work on Unix OS. Please advise me on the future path, also I will like to know the ...

  1. #1

    Default Career Advise

    Hi Group,

    I am in the starting phases of my career, just having spend 3 years in
    the computer industry, but I am confused where to go from this stage. I
    am having experience in C, C++ and unix, interested in Unix Shell
    scripting, some knowledge of perl, cgi and having some knowledge of
    unix system programming.
    I am not able to decide where to go from here, developement(C,Cpp),
    system administration or some other trend. One thing is sure that I
    want work on Unix OS. Please advise me on the future path, also I will
    like to know the opportunities in both streams, developement and
    administration.
    In developement I know only C, unix system programming(very
    introductory), so in this path which languages/os does have more scope
    in future?
    In case of administration I am good in shell scripting, but not having
    enough knowledge of perl, cgi, xml, etc. So what should be developement
    path for this stream.
    Please help me with your valuable advices and experiences in this
    industry, so that it will be helpful for me to decide my future.

    Amit Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Career Advise

    Amit Navgale wrote:

    Development: How's your mandarin / hindi?

    I'd say your biggest question at this point is whether or not you
    like being paid... the nice thing about admin is that you have to know
    a lot of different stuff and very few company CEOs want to outsource
    their hardware.

    base60 Guest

  3. #3

    Amit Navgale wrote:

    No one can pick your specialty for you. That is
    something you need to do for yourself.

    There is good news - A background in development is an
    excellent starting point for a career in the admin
    branches. A background in any of the admin branches
    is an excellent starting point for a career in the
    development field. It *works* to take a guess, work
    for a while, change your guess, work for a while, then
    decide which you liked better and go with that. So long
    as you keep your long term planning background process
    running, there isn't a wrong answer among your options.

    You posted this to comp.unix.admin, so you shouldn't
    be surprised that my bias is UNIX SA. Anyone can
    recommend their own career path if they are happy with
    their work, after all. So I figure you should keep
    your options open and expect that you'll end up in the
    SA relam, maybe moving into network admin or storage
    admin or database admin or other-OS admin.

    Look at the SAGE scale. SAGE is the admin's professional
    society. Look at the qualifications to call yourself
    any of the 4 levels. To call yourself Senior in the
    UNIX SA field takes an extensive programming background
    in some administrative programming language. A couple
    of years making your living as a C developer is a
    wonderfull qualifier that enables you to eventually
    reach Senior in the field. Fail to spend some time as
    a developer earlier in your career and you'll find
    yourself behind the stick trying to get from Intermediate
    to Senior.

    Doug Guest