Professional Web Applications Themes

Cartography for Dummies - Macromedia Freehand

Just getting started with FreeHand (I have MX), so this is pretty basic. I'm trying to make a map. Roads are paths with two strokes, first a light one, then a second one darker and a little wider underneath to give the road a 'border'. When two roads cross, or when a new road forks off of an existing one, I need the 'intersections' to look right, i.e., the 'borders' don't cross through the 'intersections'. My test case is simply two open paths crossing each other. Can I do this with FreeHand? Is there a way? Like I said, it ...

  1. #1

    Default Cartography for Dummies

    Just getting started with FreeHand (I have MX), so this is pretty basic.

    I'm trying to make a map. Roads are paths with two strokes, first a light one,
    then a second one darker and a little wider underneath to give the road a
    'border'. When two roads cross, or when a new road forks off of an existing
    one, I need the 'intersections' to look right, i.e., the 'borders' don't cross
    through the 'intersections'. My test case is simply two open paths crossing
    each other.

    Can I do this with FreeHand? Is there a way? Like I said, it seems pretty
    basic. Union doesn't seem to do anything. Join gives me the 'intersection' I
    want, but also joins the 'roads' at their ends, which I don't want.

    citizenslave Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cartography for Dummies

    FH now has the ability to add multiple strokes to a path. If the two
    crossing paths are actually part of the same path, or sub paths of a
    composite path, the crossing intersections will act "correctly". If they are
    separate paths, both strokes of one overlay both strokes of the other.

    So, for instance, you set up a Graphic Style consisting of a thin yellow
    stroke and a thick black stroke under it. Draw two lines which cross each
    other. The intersection shows the overlap. Join the two paths, and the
    intersection does not show the overlap, but the two paths will now be joined
    at one end or the other.

    Draw two closed paths (two ellipses will do). Overlap them. Apply the style.
    The intersections show the overlap. Join the two ellipses and they become
    sub-paths of a Composite path, and the intersections do not show the
    overlap.

    (This behavior is a little different in AI, from in FH. In AI, open paths
    can be sub-paths of composite paths. So selecting Compound Path>Make in AI
    joins the open paths into a Compound Path and the overlaps do not show.)

    You have a third option, though. FH can also apply strokes at the Group
    level. So select the two crossing lines drawn above, which show the overlap.
    Group them. Now apply a third stroke and drag it below the Contents object
    in the Properties palette. The thick black stroke does not display overlaps
    because it is applied to the group of two paths as a whole.

    But in the end, I think the way most long-time serious map makers using FH
    work is, they still tend to rely on clones of the paths sent to different
    layers. So you have a layer called "US Highway Thin", another Layer called
    USHighway Thick, etc. As long as you work in an organized fashion, this is
    not as troublesome as it may sound.

    JET

    James E. Talmage Guest

  3. #3

    You need to play around with the way your paths are stacked.
    Normally intersecting roads are done
    white top road 1
    intersects white top road 2
    on top layer

    black bottom road 1 intersects
    black bottom road 2 on bottom layer

    you may have to converts some paths to polygons using expand path to create
    complex intersections or merges.

    In MX with multiple stroke there is also another way. It will sound a bit
    counter intuitive. Draw the inside white paths with a thick stroke (say
    2pt.. Group all of them. Add a thin black stroke (your road casing) to the
    group (0.5 pt). If you need to do overpasses Leave them out of the group and
    use multiple strokes on the individual paths that cross over.

    I've made a little FH doc that you can download to see how the objects are
    ordered:
    [url]http://www.alpinemapguild.com/roads/[/url]

    mg

    "citizenslave" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Just getting started with FreeHand (I have MX), so this is pretty basic.
    >
    > I'm trying to make a map. Roads are paths with two strokes, first a light
    one,
    > then a second one darker and a little wider underneath to give the road a
    > 'border'. When two roads cross, or when a new road forks off of an
    existing
    > one, I need the 'intersections' to look right, i.e., the 'borders' don't
    cross
    > through the 'intersections'. My test case is simply two open paths
    crossing
    > each other.
    >
    > Can I do this with FreeHand? Is there a way? Like I said, it seems pretty
    > basic. Union doesn't seem to do anything. Join gives me the 'intersection'
    > want, but also joins the 'roads' at their ends, which I don't want.

    Martin Gamache Guest