Professional Web Applications Themes

Case for Pentax Optio S? - Photography

I have an Optio S on order, that I'm looking forward to getting. Does it come with a case? If not, what cases have people found good for it? Yes, I know an Altoids tin. ;-) But besides that, which more normal kind of camera cases? Of course, there are many small camera cases around, and the Optio S would probably fit in any one of them, with room to spare. But I would want one that fits it tightly and doesn't add much bulk, so that the camera is still shirt-pocketable (perhaps also pants-pocketable) in the case. (Otherwise, what's ...

  1. #1

    Default Case for Pentax Optio S?

    I have an Optio S on order, that I'm looking forward to getting.

    Does it come with a case? If not, what cases have people found good for it?

    Yes, I know an Altoids tin. ;-) But besides that, which more normal kind of
    camera cases?

    Of course, there are many small camera cases around, and the Optio S would
    probably fit in any one of them, with room to spare. But I would want one
    that fits it tightly and doesn't add much bulk, so that the camera is still
    shirt-pocketable (perhaps also pants-pocketable) in the case. (Otherwise,
    what's the point of getting such a tiny camera, if one carries it in a big
    case?)

    Or, since the camera has a metal case, is it pretty sturdy as is, and
    perhaps doesn't need a case for extra protection? If one dropped it on the
    pavement, in the closed position, with no case on, would the camera survive
    OK? Has that happened yet to anyone?

    Just curious what cases people have found useful, besides mint tins.

    MS Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Case for Pentax Optio S?

    Pentax make a leather case for the Optio S.
    Part No PTX-L50
    It may come with the camera , I'm not sure
    Regards
    Bill
    " MS" <msnospam.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Optio S on order, that I'm looking forward to getting.
    >
    > Does it come with a case? If not, what cases have people found good
    for it?

    > Yes, I know an Altoids tin. ;-) But besides that, which more normal
    kind of
    > camera cases?
    >
    > Of course, there are many small camera cases around, and the Optio S
    would
    > probably fit in any one of them, with room to spare. But I would want
    one
    > that fits it tightly and doesn't add much bulk, so that the camera is
    still
    > shirt-pocketable (perhaps also pants-pocketable) in the case.
    (Otherwise,
    > what's the point of getting such a tiny camera, if one carries it in a
    big
    > case?)
    >
    > Or, since the camera has a metal case, is it pretty sturdy as is, and
    > perhaps doesn't need a case for extra protection? If one dropped it on
    the
    > pavement, in the closed position, with no case on, would the camera
    survive
    > OK? Has that happened yet to anyone?
    >
    > Just curious what cases people have found useful, besides mint tins.

    Bill Purvis Guest

  3. #3

    You don't want to hear this but......

    IMHO, sizewise (and size probably means more to you than anything
    else, else why would you be getting a camera this small?) the Altoids
    tin provides the most protection with the least amount of bulk.

    Granted it ain't pretty to look at, but you can change that.

    I just got an Optio S from Walmart last week ($396+ $2 shipping, incl.
    a free 128MB SD chip). My girlfriend, an artist, anticipating the
    arrival of the camera, took an Altoids can and painted it up as pretty
    as you please. I also added a layer inside--top, bottom and around
    the sides-of black, plastic electric tape to prevent any scratching.

    Having dealt with bulky "camera crash bags" and the flimsy leather
    cell-phone type cases, I wouldn't part with thes Altoid tin for
    anything I have seen on the market, so far.

    RR
    ===============================

    Ralph O'Rourke Guest

  4. #4

    << Pentax make a leather case for the Optio S.
    Part No PTX-L50
    It may come with the camera , >>

    Bill-

    The case did not come with my Optio S. According to the user manual, the
    correct case number is O-CC8.

    The Ritz store where I bought the camera, sold me the PTX-50L case for around
    $20. It is large compared to the Optio S, and must be intended for one of the
    larger Optio models. I'm using it until I can find the right one. It makes
    quite a bulge in my pocket!

    During my travels to various stores looking for a case, the Altoids Tin was
    mentioned seriously several times. One person said they had lined one with
    felt to prevent scratching, and it was a perfect fit. I haven't tried one yet.

    Over all, I am quite pleased with the camera. The only problem is holding it
    still in low light conditions. One minor gripe is the difficulty in using the
    optical finder, which I would prefer. It is difficult to use, and doesn't show
    the full frame.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie Guest

  5. #5

    [url]http://home.comcast.net/~mjam7/PentaxCase.jpg[/url]

    This is the case I bought at Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo for my Optio S. As
    you see it says "Pentax" on it and Optio S fits nicely in it. It is even
    better than the Altoids Box. It is a little expensive (about $25) and comes
    in three different colors.

    " MS" <msnospam.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Optio S on order, that I'm looking forward to getting.
    >
    > Does it come with a case? If not, what cases have people found good for
    it?

    > Yes, I know an Altoids tin. ;-) But besides that, which more normal kind
    of
    > camera cases?
    >
    > Of course, there are many small camera cases around, and the Optio S would
    > probably fit in any one of them, with room to spare. But I would want one
    > that fits it tightly and doesn't add much bulk, so that the camera is
    still
    > shirt-pocketable (perhaps also pants-pocketable) in the case. (Otherwise,
    > what's the point of getting such a tiny camera, if one carries it in a big
    > case?)
    >
    > Or, since the camera has a metal case, is it pretty sturdy as is, and
    > perhaps doesn't need a case for extra protection? If one dropped it on the
    > pavement, in the closed position, with no case on, would the camera
    survive
    > OK? Has that happened yet to anyone?
    >
    > Just curious what cases people have found useful, besides mint tins.

    M. Jam Guest

  6. #6

    MS wrote:

    > I have an Optio S on order, that I'm looking forward to getting.
    >
    > Does it come with a case? If not, what cases have people found good for it?
    >
    > Yes, I know an Altoids tin. ;-) But besides that, which more normal kind of
    > camera cases?
    >
    > Of course, there are many small camera cases around, and the Optio S would
    > probably fit in any one of them, with room to spare. But I would want one
    > that fits it tightly and doesn't add much bulk, so that the camera is still
    > shirt-pocketable (perhaps also pants-pocketable) in the case. (Otherwise,
    > what's the point of getting such a tiny camera, if one carries it in a big
    > case?)
    You are only making a stronger case for the Altoids tin. It's cheap, it's
    metal, has great mints as a bonus and it is available everywhwere. Besides, it
    must be worth something, that when you are somewhere in company, and you open
    your Altoids tin and out comes a camera, people's eyes are going to bulge out of
    their sockets.

    > Or, since the camera has a metal case, is it pretty sturdy as is, and
    > perhaps doesn't need a case for extra protection?
    Since the Altoids tin is metal also, it gives you double metal protection.
    > If one dropped it on the
    > pavement, in the closed position, with no case on, would the camera survive
    > OK?
    Probably not, however inside an Altoids tin ..... ?

    Abrasha
    [url]http://www.abrasha.com[/url]
    Abrasha Guest

  7. #7

    [url]http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1028&message=5381815[/url]

    I bought this Buxton business card case for $6.98 & it is great.

    In article <3F1392BF.CA9FB9AAabrasha.com>,
    Abrasha <abrashaabrasha.com> wrote:
    > MS wrote:
    > >
    > > I have an Optio S on order, that I'm looking forward to getting.
    > >
    > > Does it come with a case? If not, what cases have people found good for it?
    > >
    > > Yes, I know an Altoids tin. ;-) But besides that, which more normal kind of
    > > camera cases?
    > >
    > > Of course, there are many small camera cases around, and the Optio S would
    > > probably fit in any one of them, with room to spare. But I would want one
    > > that fits it tightly and doesn't add much bulk, so that the camera is still
    > > shirt-pocketable (perhaps also pants-pocketable) in the case. (Otherwise,
    > > what's the point of getting such a tiny camera, if one carries it in a big
    > > case?)
    >
    > You are only making a stronger case for the Altoids tin. It's cheap, it's
    > metal, has great mints as a bonus and it is available everywhwere. Besides,
    > it
    > must be worth something, that when you are somewhere in company, and you open
    > your Altoids tin and out comes a camera, people's eyes are going to bulge out
    > of
    > their sockets.
    >

    > > Or, since the camera has a metal case, is it pretty sturdy as is, and
    > > perhaps doesn't need a case for extra protection?
    >
    > Since the Altoids tin is metal also, it gives you double metal protection.
    >
    > > If one dropped it on the
    > > pavement, in the closed position, with no case on, would the camera survive
    > > OK?
    >
    > Probably not, however inside an Altoids tin ..... ?
    >
    > Abrasha
    > [url]http://www.abrasha.com[/url]
    B Yen Guest

  8. #8

    Does anbody know where iI could get an altoids box? I live in Germany
    and they are not on sale here. But it sure looks like a good
    protection, and besides, a camera in a candy box.... cool.

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:49:37 -0700, " MS"
    <msnospam.com> wrote:
    >I have an Optio S on order, that I'm looking forward to getting.
    >
    >Does it come with a case? If not, what cases have people found good for it?
    >
    >Yes, I know an Altoids tin. ;-) But besides that, which more normal kind of
    >camera cases?
    >
    >Of course, there are many small camera cases around, and the Optio S would
    >probably fit in any one of them, with room to spare. But I would want one
    >that fits it tightly and doesn't add much bulk, so that the camera is still
    >shirt-pocketable (perhaps also pants-pocketable) in the case. (Otherwise,
    >what's the point of getting such a tiny camera, if one carries it in a big
    >case?)
    >
    >Or, since the camera has a metal case, is it pretty sturdy as is, and
    >perhaps doesn't need a case for extra protection? If one dropped it on the
    >pavement, in the closed position, with no case on, would the camera survive
    >OK? Has that happened yet to anyone?
    >
    >Just curious what cases people have found useful, besides mint tins.

    klausa2 Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Luke Guest