Professional Web Applications Themes

Cast members disappeared? - Macromedia Director Basics

Hi, I'm a student and I'm desperate for help. Somehow, my movie file got moved, and when I moved it back, all the jpg, wav and psd cast members have disappeared. The score is untouched, the references to all the different cast members are still there, but obviously, they're not showing up when I play the movie. I tried reimporting the files, but the movie didn't seem to recognize them. Is there anyway I can do this, or will I have to start all over again in a new movie and copy the score across? It's a fairly large movie ...

  1. #1

    Default Cast members disappeared?

    Hi, I'm a student and I'm desperate for help.

    Somehow, my movie file got moved, and when I moved it back, all the jpg, wav
    and psd cast members have disappeared. The score is untouched, the references
    to all the different cast members are still there, but obviously, they're not
    showing up when I play the movie.

    I tried reimporting the files, but the movie didn't seem to recognize them. Is
    there anyway I can do this, or will I have to start all over again in a new
    movie and copy the score across? It's a fairly large movie with a lot of
    images, and I really don't want to have to do that (presuming it would even
    work.)

    Does anyone know how to fix this or am I doomed?

    angryhamster Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cast members disappeared?

    I should probably have added that I'm working with Director 8.5.
    angryhamster Guest

  3. #3

    What do you mean disappeard? They are just not in the cast?

    "angryhamster" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm a student and I'm desperate for help.
    >
    > Somehow, my movie file got moved, and when I moved it back, all the jpg,
    wav
    > and psd cast members have disappeared. The score is untouched, the
    references
    > to all the different cast members are still there, but obviously, they're
    not
    > showing up when I play the movie.
    >
    > I tried reimporting the files, but the movie didn't seem to recognize
    them. Is
    > there anyway I can do this, or will I have to start all over again in a
    new
    > movie and copy the score across? It's a fairly large movie with a lot of
    > images, and I really don't want to have to do that (presuming it would
    even
    > work.)
    >
    > Does anyone know how to fix this or am I doomed?

    David Downie Guest

  4. #4

    They're blank. They're still named correctly, but the thumbnails show no image, and no images are visible when when movie is played or when I'm just looking at the stage, either.
    angryhamster Guest

  5. #5

    > They're blank. They're still named correctly, but the thumbnails show no
    image, and no images are visible when when movie is played or when I'm just
    looking at the stage, either.

    Try re-importing each cast member, then for each cast member select and cut
    the new import, then select the old castmember and past the new import over
    the old one. That should preserve it's position on the score.

    David Downie Guest

  6. #6

    How do I paste into a specific cast member? I tried to do this earlier, but it was just pasting it between two and shuffling them all down.
    angryhamster Guest

  7. #7

    > How do I paste into a specific cast member? I tried to do this earlier,
    but it was just pasting it between two and shuffling them all down.

    You copy or cut a cast member in the cast. Then using the mouse you select
    the old cast member by clicking on it. You then paste (by using control V on
    the PC), and the old member should be replaced with the new.

    David Downie Guest

  8. #8

    There is a way to retrieve the references! I had once tried this and got
    succeeded.
    I'd suggest please try this.

    Make a duplicate of the whole project into a new place and try this.

    Open the movie that has lost the references from the old path itself. Launce
    another Dir8.5 api with new dir and save this file in the new path. Use
    Modify->Movie->Casts [ctrl+shift+C] to link the cast memebers one-by-one in the
    same order as in the reference lost dir. After linking all the casts,
    what you have now is a dir file that has full cast members without any score
    content. Now, copy the entire score contents [ctrl+A] as it is from the old dir
    and paste inside the new file.

    Now try running this file. It should have got all the references linked.

    Praks_Kris Guest

  9. #9

    I don't think that would work, I only have one (rather large) cast with this project...
    angryhamster Guest