Professional Web Applications Themes

Cast members over 3D content - Macromedia Director 3D

Hello everyone, I am really new to the director domain (as I got stuck with authorware for about 10 or more years) and I am starting out my journay into the realm of shockwave 3D. As a matter of fact this realm and its impressive incorporation into director was a major factor in my decision of moving to director. Anyways, I am writing to address the problem of displaying various cast members such as images or video clips inside/over a shockwave 3D scene. I am exploring the possibility of having a 3D environment with various panels on which I could ...

  1. #1

    Default Cast members over 3D content

    Hello everyone,

    I am really new to the director domain (as I got stuck with authorware for about 10 or more years) and I am starting out my journay into the realm of shockwave 3D. As a matter of fact this realm and its impressive incorporation into director was a major factor in my decision of moving to director.
    Anyways, I am writing to address the problem of displaying various cast members such as images or video clips inside/over a shockwave 3D scene. I am exploring the possibility of having a 3D environment with various panels on which I could display information such as text, still images or movies. In authorware, handling of the layers that control which object comes in front of which is really easy and could do the trick. But in director with 3D this seems not as straightforward.
    I can think of two ways to solve the problem: One way is to "fake": Just display objects in front of the 3D scene. The other way is to, somehow, incorporate the objects into the 3D scene. I suppose the problem of displaying movies makes it "impossible" to use these members as texture on 3D objects...
    I find it very probable that many of you have already coped with this kinda problem, so any suggestions would be helpfull.

    Thanks in advance.

    gpavlid webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cast members over 3D content

    Yes, you can display a bitmap cast member or a digital video cast member as
    a texture.

    If you come from the Authorware site, I advise you to use two behaviors from
    the Chrome Lib:

    -One is Environment Mapping (select Texture for the Type parameter)
    - The other is Play Real Video®.

    Download the lib at the following URL:
    [url]http://membres.lycos.fr/karlsigiscar/shockwave3d/index.html[/url]

    If you want to see how it is made, you can still have a look into the Lingo
    code.

    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  3. #3

    from an Authorware background I meant...

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  4. #4

    well you can simply just plonk a sprite straight over a 3d shocjkwave member. you just set the directtostage to false. but thats a generally bad way.

    another way to do this would be to use overlays. There was a nice example of this in den ivanovs site but I'm not sure if its still there(redesigned recently... but it's in the labs shockwave section).

    [url]http://www.cleoag.com/[/url]

    using text members as overlays is actually quite easy. and you can incorporate transparency effects using png textures.

    and there is also a nice example of an invisible overlay on augustin maria rodriguezs site

    [url]http://www.onwine.com.ar/[/url]

    HAIRYBOBBY - why didn't I choose a really cool name like the vulcanpimp

    [url]http://www.geocities.com/hairybobby2000[/url]

    new vector shape behaviors here

    [url]http://www.geocities.com/hairybobby2000/vertexhome.html[/url]
    hairybobby webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest