Professional Web Applications Themes

CCD dust imaging - Photography

p.110 of Maxxum 7D manual: "The DiMAGE Master software can remove the affects of dust from RAW images. This is done by taking a dust reference image before cleaning the CCD. For more on this process, see the DiMAGE Master manual." -has anyone tried this? -do other cameras (Canon, Nikon...) have this feature? Cheers, Alan -- -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm[/url] -- r.p.d.slr-systems: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm[/url] -- [SI] gallery & rulz: [url]http://www.pbase.com/shootin[/url] -- e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch....

  1. #1

    Default CCD dust imaging

    --
    -- r.p.e.35mm user resource: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm[/url]
    -- r.p.d.slr-systems: [url]http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm[/url]
    -- [SI] gallery & rulz: [url]http://www.pbase.com/shootin[/url]
    Alan Browne Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CCD dust imaging

    Hi Alan
    Please note I have NO experience in this field - my wife has a D70 and we
    are both still learning BUT - today I was looking at this
    [url]http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm[/url]
    You may find the reference useful?
    Regards
    RobO

    RobO Guest

  3. #3

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:38:06 -0500, Alan Browne
    <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

    >p.110 of Maxxum 7D manual: "The DiMAGE Master software can remove the affects of
    >dust from RAW images. This is done by taking a dust reference image before
    >cleaning the CCD. For more on this process, see the DiMAGE Master manual."
    >
    >-has anyone tried this?
    >
    >-do other cameras (Canon, Nikon...) have this feature?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Alan
    This is like taking a dark frame to reference hot pixels then
    subtracting them out from long exposure images.
    -Rich
    RichA Guest

  4. #4

    Alan Browne wrote:
    > p.110 of Maxxum 7D manual: "The DiMAGE Master software can remove the
    > affects of dust from RAW images. This is done by taking a dust
    > reference image before cleaning the CCD. For more on this process,
    > see the DiMAGE Master manual."
    I haven't even been able to find a source for the Dimage Master
    software... it's not the same as the Dimage Viewer s/w that ships with
    the 7D from what I have read...

    What I have been doing here since I've already run into dust problems
    with my 7D (we've had the mortar replacement project from hell going on
    at our building for over six months now...) is to set the smallest
    f/stop and take an out of focus shot of a blank wall. The small f/stop
    helps make the dust shadows shaper and more contrasty, as they are
    sitting on the cover layer a bit above the actual CCD.

    I review the shot either in the LCD or on the computer to see where the
    crud has settled, put the 7D into CCD clean mode, and go after it with a
    gentle squeeze er, keeping in mind that the crud's location will be
    flipped and reversed as you view the CCD - my eyes are bad enough that I
    can't see the actual crud on the sensor as I clean it, so I usually
    repeat the above steps to be sure I got it all.

    Bob ^,,^

    Bob Harrington Guest

  5. #5

    Has anyone found the info on a tacky probe made for sensor cleaning that was
    just tacky just enough to pick up dust but did not leave any residue behind.

    "Bob Harrington" <rch.NOS-PAMblarg.net> wrote in message
    > Alan Browne wrote:
    > > p.110 of Maxxum 7D manual: "The DiMAGE Master software can remove the
    > > affects of dust from RAW images. This is done by taking a dust
    > > reference image before cleaning the CCD. For more on this process,
    > > see the DiMAGE Master manual."
    >
    > I haven't even been able to find a source for the Dimage Master
    > software... it's not the same as the Dimage Viewer s/w that ships with
    > the 7D from what I have read...
    >
    > What I have been doing here since I've already run into dust problems
    > with my 7D (we've had the mortar replacement project from hell going on
    > at our building for over six months now...) is to set the smallest
    > f/stop and take an out of focus shot of a blank wall. The small f/stop
    > helps make the dust shadows shaper and more contrasty, as they are
    > sitting on the cover layer a bit above the actual CCD.
    >
    > I review the shot either in the LCD or on the computer to see where the
    > crud has settled, put the 7D into CCD clean mode, and go after it with a
    > gentle squeeze er, keeping in mind that the crud's location will be
    > flipped and reversed as you view the CCD - my eyes are bad enough that I
    > can't see the actual crud on the sensor as I clean it, so I usually
    > repeat the above steps to be sure I got it all.
    >
    > Bob ^,,^

    Robert Guest

  6. #6

    "Robert" <RBcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone found the info on a tacky probe made for sensor cleaning that
    > was
    > just tacky just enough to pick up dust but did not leave any residue
    > behind.

    --------------
    I suggest that you read the information in these links before you do
    attempt sensor cleaning.

    luminous-landscape.com/essays/sensor-cleaning.shtml
    [url]www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/[/url]

    photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa122903c.htm

    [url]www.pictureline.com/digital/daccessories/photosolutions/index.html[/url]

    Regards,

    Don F

    Don Farias Guest

  7. #7

    "Robert" <RBcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone found the info on a tacky probe made for sensor cleaning that
    > was
    > just tacky just enough to pick up dust but did not leave any residue
    > behind.

    --------------
    I forgot to include this link which you might find useful.

    [url]http://robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-6460-7296[/url]

    Don F

    Don Farias Guest

  8. #8

    RobO wrote:
    > Hi Alan
    > Please note I have NO experience in this field - my wife has a D70 and we
    > are both still learning BUT - today I was looking at this
    > [url]http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm[/url]
    > You may find the reference useful?
    Yes indeed. Thanks,
    Alan

  9. #9

    RichA wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:38:06 -0500, Alan Browne
    > <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
    >

    >>p.110 of Maxxum 7D manual: "The DiMAGE Master software can remove the affects of
    >>dust from RAW images. This is done by taking a dust reference image before
    >>cleaning the CCD. For more on this process, see the DiMAGE Master manual."
    >>
    >>-has anyone tried this?
    >>
    >>-do other cameras (Canon, Nikon...) have this feature?
    >
    > This is like taking a dark frame to reference hot pixels then
    > subtracting them out from long exposure images.
    I understand _what_ it is.

    I'm wondering about how good it is in application and whether other vendors have
    the same feature (per other replies so far, the D70 supports this).

    Cheers,
    Alan

  10. #10

    Bob Harrington wrote:
    > flipped and reversed as you view the CCD - my eyes are bad enough that I
    > can't see the actual crud on the sensor as I clean it, so I usually
    > repeat the above steps to be sure I got it all.
    I think the wipe method might be better, esp on very fine dust. See the RobO post.

    Cheers,
    Alan

  11. #11

    Alan Browne <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:
    > p.110 of Maxxum 7D manual: "The DiMAGE Master software can remove the
    > affects of dust from RAW images. This is done by taking a dust
    > reference image before cleaning the CCD. For more on this process, see
    > the DiMAGE Master manual."
    >
    > -has anyone tried this?
    >
    > -do other cameras (Canon, Nikon...) have this feature?
    Yeah, Canons have a 'sensor clean' in their menu.

    It's clever math for dealing with pixels darkened by the presence of
    dust. Or it applies a median filter to selected "dark" pixels to
    future images.

    --
    Todd H.
    [url]http://www.toddh.net/[/url]

  12. #12

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Alan Browne <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:
    >
    >>p.110 of Maxxum 7D manual: "The DiMAGE Master software can remove the
    >>affects of dust from RAW images. This is done by taking a dust
    >>reference image before cleaning the CCD. For more on this process, see
    >>the DiMAGE Master manual."
    >>
    >>-has anyone tried this?
    >>
    >>-do other cameras (Canon, Nikon...) have this feature?
    >

    > Yeah, Canons have a 'sensor clean' in their menu.
    >
    > It's clever math for dealing with pixels darkened by the presence of
    > dust. Or it applies a median filter to selected "dark" pixels to
    > future images.
    I'm not so sure that it's so 'clever', kind of a neat thing to do (and a
    responsible OEM thing to do for the camera owners).

    I'm really wondering: has anyone used it and how were the results?

    Cheers,
    Alan

  13. #13

    "Alan Browne" <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
    > I'm not so sure that it's so 'clever', kind of a neat thing to do (and a
    > responsible OEM thing to do for the camera owners).
    >
    > I'm really wondering: has anyone used it and how were the results?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan
    ---------------
    I tried it (for testing purposes only) using my D70 and it works.
    The procedure is take a dust reference picture of a blank sheet of paper
    at a small aperture (f22 in my test). There were at least 3 very visible
    dust specks and several less visible specks.
    A "dust reference" option is selected in the camera and a unique file
    extension name designator is given to the reference picture. I immediately
    took second picture of the blank paper in the normal shooting mode.
    The next step is to load the "normal" picture in the Nikon Capture
    software and then apply the dust removal option. The dust specks were then
    removed with no trace at all of the offending dust specks.
    I manually removed the dust specks and I don't normally shoot at f22 so I
    don't have a dust problem in normal shooting. I assume the process would
    work as well with normal picture content vs.: a blank sheet of paper.
    Regards,
    Don F

    Don Farias Guest

  14. #14

    Todd H. <ttoddh.net> wrote:
    > Alan Browne <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> writes:
    >> p.110 of Maxxum 7D manual: "The DiMAGE Master software can remove the
    >> affects of dust from RAW images. This is done by taking a dust
    >> -do other cameras (Canon, Nikon...) have this feature?
    > Yeah, Canons have a 'sensor clean' in their menu.
    Which --- at least in the 20D --- flips up the mirror and
    opens the shutter so you can clean the sensor. :-)

    There may or may not be a way to hide the dust using the Canon PC
    software.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg Guest

  15. #15

    Don Farias wrote:
    > "Alan Browne" <alan.brownefreelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm not so sure that it's so 'clever', kind of a neat thing to do (and a
    >>responsible OEM thing to do for the camera owners).
    >>
    >>I'm really wondering: has anyone used it and how were the results?
    >>
    >>Cheers,
    >>Alan
    >
    > ---------------
    > I tried it (for testing purposes only) using my D70 and it works.
    > The procedure is take a dust reference picture of a blank sheet of paper
    > at a small aperture (f22 in my test). There were at least 3 very visible
    > dust specks and several less visible specks.
    > A "dust reference" option is selected in the camera and a unique file
    > extension name designator is given to the reference picture. I immediately
    > took second picture of the blank paper in the normal shooting mode.
    > The next step is to load the "normal" picture in the Nikon Capture
    > software and then apply the dust removal option. The dust specks were then
    > removed with no trace at all of the offending dust specks.
    > I manually removed the dust specks and I don't normally shoot at f22 so I
    > don't have a dust problem in normal shooting. I assume the process would
    > work as well with normal picture content vs.: a blank sheet of paper.

    Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Alan

  16. #16

    In article <sdewd.3167$Qk5.1508lakeread04>,
    Don Farias <donf11NOSPAMhome.com> wrote:

    > I manually removed the dust specks and I don't normally shoot at f22 so I
    >don't have a dust problem in normal shooting. I assume the process would
    >work as well with normal picture content vs.: a blank sheet of paper.
    >Regards,
    >Don F
    That's a very big assumption. Could you tell if your image of the sheet
    of paper was too soft? If it were missing detail in those areas? What
    if there was a linear feature (an edge, or a thin line) running across
    the speck?

    John Francis Guest

  17. #17

    In article <m07jnjp7d0.fsfripco.com>, [email]ttoddh.net[/email] (Todd H.) wrote:
    > Yeah, Canons have a 'sensor clean' in their menu.
    >
    > It's clever math for dealing with pixels darkened by the presence of
    > dust. Or it applies a median filter to selected "dark" pixels to
    > future images.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    It's just a camera setting that flips up the mirror and opens the
    shutter, so you can reach the sensor; nothing more...sorry....

    Olympus is the only camera manufacturer so far that offers a real
    solution to the dust problem.

    Lourens
    Lourens Smak Guest

  18. #18

    "John Francis" <johnfpanix.com> wrote in message
    > In article <sdewd.3167$Qk5.1508lakeread04>,
    > That's a very big assumption. Could you tell if your image of the sheet
    > of paper was too soft? If it were missing detail in those areas? What
    > if there was a linear feature (an edge, or a thin line) running across
    > the speck?
    --------------------
    What I am saying (albeit indirectly) is that dust specks on my sensor
    have never been a real problem for me in 10 months of shooting. Picture
    content varies and I normally crop and print 8 X 10s.
    I did take a few shots (with "normal" detail) with a known dirty sensor
    and found it difficult to find any visible problem with shots a f8 and f11.
    Shooting a clear blue sky at f22 is a problem. (Using "auto contrast" in
    PhotoShop amplifies the dust problem if there is any doubt of it's
    existence.)
    Bottom line ... it makes much more sense to me to clean a dirty sensor
    rather than go through a bersome procedure to mask the problem.
    Regards,
    Don F

    Don Farias Guest