Professional Web Applications Themes

cd rom preload - Macromedia Director Basics

Is there a way I can preload the cd rom dir movies or a part of it so that it works better? I mean, the project on the HD works grate, but not on the cd... normal right?. But the fact is that I have some images and some movies that or they take a long time to get visualized or they just get blocked and I have only the sound... I tried preloadMember and preloadMovie, but in fact I don't know very well how to use them, and the only result I had is an script error or no ...

  1. #1

    Default cd rom preload

    Is there a way I can preload the cd rom dir movies or a part of it so that it
    works better? I mean, the project on the HD works grate, but not on the cd...
    normal right?. But the fact is that I have some images and some movies that or
    they take a long time to get visualized or they just get blocked and I have
    only the sound... I tried preloadMember and preloadMovie, but in fact I don't
    know very well how to use them, and the only result I had is an script error or
    no result at all.
    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!

    subigor Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: cd rom preload

    What you might want to try is called a fast load projector. This is the
    projector with the plugins loaded and then on frame one you say open
    "content.dxr". you create this file by protecting your dir file and it turns
    it into a dxr file. MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR ORGINAL THOUGH.

    this should not only make your app lunch almost instantly you wont have the
    stage. if you are size your images for the resolution and size that you intend
    on displaying them, not in director but in photoshop. i suggest if you are
    going to have the same image in different sizes then import it at the different
    sizes you intend on using it. The resizing looks like crap in director.

    hope that helps.

    waynecto Guest

  3. #3

    You will get best results if you do a couple of things. You should be
    using a stub projector to start your movie. This has a number of
    advantages. You can find out more about stub projectors in the tech
    notes. You should also be using an external Xtras folder to hold all of
    your Xtras. Again there are a number of advantages. There is
    information on working with xtras in the online help and in the tech
    notes.

    You probably have no need for the preloadMovie function. Preload and/or
    preloadMember may be useful. If you set a preload of a specific number
    of frames or preloadMember to load a specific set of members, then you
    can keep Director from preloading the whole movie into memory before it
    begins.

    --
    Rob
    _______

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/[/url]
    Rob Dillon Guest

  4. #4

    I allready did like this. I have the first movie with:

    on exitFrame
    go to movie "menu"
    on startMovie
    append the searchPaths, the moviePath & "mpeg"
    end

    So in this way should be really fast.
    My first movie has on the first frame just some buttons and from the second
    till the end I have movies (7 movies on the same screen... with the QT control
    bar, so all of them ready but stoped, you just see the first frame. I tryed to
    do each movie in a different screen, but still the same problem) and pictures
    (all of them with sound). It would change if I put the last ones in two
    separate movies (one for the movies and other one for the pictures)? I sow that
    with some of the pictures the first time it takes a long time to charge them
    (sound still playing) but if I do it a second or third time it goes faster ( I
    suppose because is still in memory), I would like to find how to charge this
    first in the memory (or a part of it) so I suppose I would not have the same
    problem.
    Then I have one of the dir movies that there's an animation with some fws.
    When the fsw finish the animation continues (two psd images moving randomly and
    following one to each other) and I have a movie in the background... and here
    comes the problem. The animation stops and the movie area gets black till it
    charges the movie (the sound is still playing) and then it keeps going.

    I hope this can give a better idea of the project and the possible solution.

    Thanks!

    subigor Guest