Professional Web Applications Themes

CD's with photo's not readable at Photo Stores - Mac Applications & Software

Friend I talked into an iMac burned 3 photo's to a cd using the Finder. He has MacOS X 10.1 - not sure if he installed the updates to it. Takes it to Walmart for them to print out - nada - they can't read the cd. I use Toast to burn the cd - using ISO 9660 - they still can'r rewad the cd. What format do you need to burn a cd in so that Photo stores can read it and print the pictures?...

  1. #1

    Default CD's with photo's not readable at Photo Stores

    Friend I talked into an iMac burned 3 photo's to a cd using the
    Finder. He has MacOS X 10.1 - not sure if he installed the updates to
    it. Takes it to Walmart for them to print out - nada - they can't read
    the cd. I use Toast to burn the cd - using ISO 9660 - they still can'r
    rewad the cd.

    What format do you need to burn a cd in so that Photo stores can read
    it and print the pictures?
    Pete Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CD's with photo's not readable at Photo Stores

    >What format do you need to burn a cd in so that Photo stores can read

    ISO9960, JPEG.

    Most likely, the photo stores can't read it because the device they are using
    doesn't like the particular brand of blank CD you are using.

    It is also possible that you must burn the CD in Toast as ISO9660 *with "Apple
    Extensions" disabled.* Some photo places use Sun IPX computers to read CDs;
    some software running on Sun IPX machines can't read an ISO9660 CD with Apple
    extensions. (It's stupid; part of the ISO9660 specification explicitly states
    that computers should be able to ignore any directory extensions they don't
    understand. But I've seen it with my own two eyes.)

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  3. #3

    In article <pdx.net>,
    world wrote:

    > > ISO9960, JPEG.
    > >
    > > Most likely, the photo stores can't read it because the device they are
    > > using
    > > doesn't like the particular brand of blank CD you are using.
    > >
    > > It is also possible that you must burn the CD in Toast as ISO9660 *with
    > > "Apple
    > > Extensions" disabled.* Some photo places use Sun IPX computers to read CDs;
    > > some software running on Sun IPX machines can't read an ISO9660 CD with
    > > Apple
    > > extensions. (It's stupid; part of the ISO9660 specification explicitly
    > > states
    > > that computers should be able to ignore any directory extensions they don't
    > > understand. But I've seen it with my own two eyes.)[/ref]
    >
    > Another answer is to simply re-load the pictures from your computers
    > photo handling software back onto the smart media card or what ever your
    > camera uses and take that to the photo store. Every photo store I have
    > seen has attachments that can read these cards.[/ref]

    Along with a previous reply, I suggested this also. Even with a card
    reader that they bought with their camera, they don't know how to do
    this! They ended up printing it, taking that to Walmart, having them
    scan it for them!

    Some people just don't get along with technology at all!

    Thanks

    Pete
    Pete Guest

  4. #4

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    I recall the extension debacle in 9, but thought X was a different
    story. Could be the cd blanks - both are cheap Memorex. I'll suggest
    this to them to see if it makes a difference.

    Thanks

    Pete
    Pete Guest

  5. #5

    In article <isp.giganews.com>,
    Pete Ware <com> wrote:

    > Along with a previous reply, I suggested this also. Even with a card
    > reader that they bought with their camera, they don't know how to do
    > this! They ended up printing it, taking that to Walmart, having them
    > scan it for them![/ref]

    Be cautious about doing this, at least if you want to re-use the same
    card in the camera. Some cameras don't react well to cards that have
    been messed with -- that is, written to --in any way by a computer.
    AES/newspost Guest

  6. #6

    > I recall the extension debacle in 9, but thought X was a different

    I have had nothing but trouble and grief with Memorex blanks. Many of the
    people I know have had similar trouble. Memorex blanks simply don't work at all
    in about half the devices I've tried them in.

    In my experience, Memorex blanks are the worst of the worst.

  7. #7

    In article <stanford.edu>,
    AES/newspost <edu> wrote:

    > > Along with a previous reply, I suggested this also. Even with a card
    > > reader that they bought with their camera, they don't know how to do
    > > this! They ended up printing it, taking that to Walmart, having them
    > > scan it for them![/ref]
    >
    > Be cautious about doing this, at least if you want to re-use the same
    > card in the camera. Some cameras don't react well to cards that have
    > been messed with -- that is, written to --in any way by a computer.[/ref]

    They managed to up them via the card reader, and the card was
    unreadable also. I suggested using just the camera the next time.

    Their plan was to take a printed photo in for scanning, but another
    photo shop was able to view the cd and print their pictures. $5 a pop
    for each 5x7 was a tad steep though. But someone was able to read the cd
    - but not Walmart.

    Pete
    Pete Guest

  8. #8

    In article <isp.giganews.com>, Pete Ware <com> wrote:

    Did the file names end in .jpg?

    ISO9660 *should* work.

    It would be useful to know what OS and/or application that WalMart is
    using to read the disc.

    If you have friends with PCs, you might try the discs in their machines,
    noting the version of Windows - XP seems particularly problematic.

    There have been a number of issues with reading the CDs burned by
    various OSX versions in the past. See:

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=jimglidewell-2210021400340001%40green.sdc.cs.boeing.com>

    and the article referenced therein for some history.

    If they can't read an ISO9660 disc with *.jpg files at the root level,
    then there really isn't much hope. Pretty lame.

    As others suggested, trying a different brand of blanks is about the only
    other thing to try.

    Your friend might also consider the "Make Prints" option inside of iPhoto -
    prices are higher than Walmart, but the quality has been very good for me.
    (esp. compared to the "prints from digital" that I had done at Target,
    which seems rather blocky and had various strange artifacts)

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only

  9. #9

    In article <270820032207141888%com>,
    Thulsa Doom©® <com> wrote:

    No - that was done. Must have been the cd's themselves as they were
    cheapo Memorex. Another store they took it to read the cd fine. Just
    that this store charged $5 a pic! Still trying to figure out why Walmart
    can't read any of them.
    Pete Guest