Professional Web Applications Themes

CD Will not Boot - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have been running Red Hat 6.2 for a while and, finally, decided to upgrade my operating system. I recently acquired a boot CD from Gentoo Linux. Having changed the BIOS settings for first boot device to be my CD the computer flatly refuses to use of the CD as a boot disk. It used to work, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with how Red Hat has installed /sbin/lilo. The current lilo.conf reads boot=/dev/hda1 map=/boot/map install=/boot/boot.b prompt timeout=50 linear default=linux image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0 label=linux read-only root=/dev/hda5 The only way I can get the computer to accept a CD ...

  1. #1

    Default CD Will not Boot

    I have been running Red Hat 6.2 for a while and, finally, decided to upgrade
    my operating system. I recently acquired a boot CD from Gentoo Linux. Having
    changed the BIOS settings for first boot device to be my CD the computer
    flatly refuses to use of the CD as a boot disk. It used to work, and I'm
    pretty sure it has something to do with how Red Hat has installed
    /sbin/lilo. The current lilo.conf reads

    boot=/dev/hda1

    map=/boot/map

    install=/boot/boot.b

    prompt

    timeout=50

    linear

    default=linux

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0

    label=linux

    read-only

    root=/dev/hda5

    The only way I can get the computer to accept a CD installer is to boot from
    a floppy disk, which unfortunately has not been provided by Gentoo.

    I guess the easy answer is to create a boot floppy, but since I do not know
    how to do this, any advice would be appreciated on how to get around the
    problem.

    Alan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CD Will not Boot

    Alan Watson wrote:

    Maybe it's not a boot CD...

    Most certainly not.

    Booting from CDROM involves using a floppy image at the "start" of the
    CDROM (try googling for "eltorito boot" for further details) and this is
    done at a moment when BIOS has not given control to anything that might
    reside on hard disk (or whatever boot device).

    You could try putting this image (
    ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware-9.1/rootdisks/sbootmgr.dsk ) on a floppy.

    sbootmgr.dsk
    This nifty little tool allows selecting various devices to boot
    from a menu, and even allows booting a CD-ROM in machines where
    the BIOS doesn't support it (or it's supposed to support it, but
    it just doesn't work). If you have trouble booting the
    Slackware CD-ROM, you might try writing this image to a floppy,
    booting it, and then selecting your CD-ROM drive as the boot
    device.

    To achieve putting an image file on a floppy disk you can either use the
    magnificent dd like this (on Linux):
    dd if=sbootmgr.dsk of=/dev/fd0

    Or (still in Linux) ask the gentle cat:
    cat sbootmgr.dsk > /dev/fd0

    Or if you're a Windows addict, you can use one of the versions
    (depending on which version of Windows,you've got) of rawrite that
    reside in this directory ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware-9.1/rootdisks/
    like this:
    rawrite sbootmgr.dsk a:

    Hope it helps...

    AlV Guest

  3. #3

    > I have been running Red Hat 6.2 for a while and, finally, decided to

    How did you aqcuire it? burned it yourself? Did you do it correctly?

    LILO has nothing to do with it.

    Is it not on the CD?
    RH has a directory images, that contain bootfloppy images.
    Just put it on the floppy. ie. jus cat, cp or dd it directly to /dev/fd0,
    not to /mnt/floppy!

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  4. #4

    Alan Watson wrote:

    ..... and how was this CD "acquired" ? did YOU burn it? if
    you got it from someone else, have they confirmed it's a
    bootable CD?
    ..
    A LISP programmer knows the value of everything,
    but the cost of nothing.

    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks to everyone. I downloaded Smart Boot Manager and it works a treat. I
    am still a little puzzled as the CD was provided by Gentoo and boots quite
    happily on another computer I have without the need for a boot floppy.

    Best regards,

    Alan

    "AlV" <spam> wrote in message
    news:bmo943$git$wanadoo.fr... [/ref]
    upgrade [/ref]
    Having

    > Maybe it's not a boot CD...

    > Most certainly not.
    >
    > Booting from CDROM involves using a floppy image at the "start" of the
    > CDROM (try googling for "eltorito boot" for further details) and this is
    > done at a moment when BIOS has not given control to anything that might
    > reside on hard disk (or whatever boot device).
    > [/ref]
    from [/ref]
    know

    > You could try putting this image (
    > ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware-9.1/rootdisks/sbootmgr.dsk ) on a floppy.
    >
    > sbootmgr.dsk
    > This nifty little tool allows selecting various devices to boot
    > from a menu, and even allows booting a CD-ROM in machines where
    > the BIOS doesn't support it (or it's supposed to support it, but
    > it just doesn't work). If you have trouble booting the
    > Slackware CD-ROM, you might try writing this image to a floppy,
    > booting it, and then selecting your CD-ROM drive as the boot
    > device.
    >
    > To achieve putting an image file on a floppy disk you can either use the
    > magnificent dd like this (on Linux):
    > dd if=sbootmgr.dsk of=/dev/fd0
    >
    > Or (still in Linux) ask the gentle cat:
    > cat sbootmgr.dsk > /dev/fd0
    >
    > Or if you're a Windows addict, you can use one of the versions
    > (depending on which version of Windows,you've got) of rawrite that
    > reside in this directory ftp://ftp.slackware.at/slackware-9.1/rootdisks/
    > like this:
    > rawrite sbootmgr.dsk a:
    >
    > Hope it helps...
    >[/ref]