Professional Web Applications Themes

CDONTS is driving me crazy. Please help !!! - ASP Components

Hi, I am trying to create a web page in ASP where the user enters their name and email address, and when they submit the form, an email is automatically sent to them. I am using CDONTs to try and acheive this. Right now I'm just testing with my own email address in the "To" property. The problem: The email does not get sent. When tested on my local machine, no email is sent whatsoever. The problem is slightly different when I tried it on the internet: The test email wasnt sent, but I got an "Undeliverable mail" email sent ...

  1. #1

    Default CDONTS is driving me crazy. Please help !!!

    Hi,

    I am trying to create a web page in ASP where the user enters their name and
    email address, and when they submit the form, an email is automatically sent
    to them. I am using CDONTs to try and acheive this. Right now I'm just
    testing with my own email address in the "To" property.

    The problem: The email does not get sent.

    When tested on my local machine, no email is sent whatsoever. The problem
    is slightly different when I tried it on the internet: The test email wasnt
    sent, but I got an "Undeliverable mail" email sent to my "From" address.

    I have checked the following already:
    1) I am definately using a VALID "From" and "To" address. (the "To" is my
    own email address, the "From" is something like "mailmydomain.co.uk" where
    mydomain is my website domain name).
    2) The "From" and "To" addresses are different to each other.
    3) CDONTs is definately installed and registered on my machine + my webhost.
    4) SMTP service is running on my machine + my webhost.
    5) There is nothing fancy in the "Body" property, just plain text.

    This seems to be a fairly common problem, but I cannot find a definitive
    answer. I would really appreciate a simple answer to get this working, or
    alternatively a link to some kind of FAQ page for CDONTs problems.

    Thanks!
    Owen

    PS. would appreciate replies cc'd via email :o)
    [email]owen.southwoodmantix.com[/email]

    owen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CDONTS is driving me crazy. Please help !!!

    > 3) CDONTs is definately installed and registered on my machine + my
    webhost.

    CDONTS is just a wrapper object that creates files in the Pickup folder of
    your server. It will never fail and doesn't actually send e-mail
    > 4) SMTP service is running on my machine + my webhost.
    It is the SMTP service that sends the mail so yours probably isn't correctly
    configured. Have you tried trying to send mail through your SMTP service
    using, say Outlook or Outlook Express?

    Adrian Forbes [ASP MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    "Adrian Forbes [ASP MVP]" <sorrynoemail.zzz> wrote in message
    > > 3) CDONTs is definately installed and registered on my machine + my
    > webhost.
    >
    > CDONTS is just a wrapper object that creates files in the Pickup folder of
    > your server. It will never fail and doesn't actually send e-mail
    >
    > > 4) SMTP service is running on my machine + my webhost.
    >
    > It is the SMTP service that sends the mail so yours probably isn't
    correctly
    > configured. Have you tried trying to send mail through your SMTP service
    > using, say Outlook or Outlook Express?

    By that do you mean do anything different to my usual with Outlook?

    Emails work fine with Outlook but not with CDONTS.

    Owen

    owen Guest

  4. #4

    "Adrian Forbes [ASP MVP]" <sorrynoemail.zzz> wrote in message
    > > 3) CDONTs is definately installed and registered on my machine + my
    > webhost.
    >
    > CDONTS is just a wrapper object that creates files in the Pickup folder of
    > your server. It will never fail and doesn't actually send e-mail
    OK so where is this pickup folder (where can I find out?) so I can check the
    mails are actually sitting there.

    I think the problem is that CDONTS' emails are "sitting" in the pickup
    folder and never being "pushed" out by SMTP.

    Owen

    owen Guest

  5. #5

    "owen" <spamspam.com> wrote in message
    > OK so where is this pickup folder (where can I find out?) so I can check
    the
    > mails are actually sitting there.
    >
    > I think the problem is that CDONTS' emails are "sitting" in the pickup
    > folder and never being "pushed" out by SMTP.
    Look in inetpub\mailroot
    If the mail is in the drop directory it is probably already sent because you
    sent the mail to the same domainname as the server's domain.
    Try sending a mail to an external account.

    Serve Laurijssen Guest

  6. #6

    If you're running Office 2000 that is probably why it's not working. Check
    Microsoft's Knowledge-base, I think they explain it in there. But it has
    something to do with MAPI being disabled.

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to create a web page in ASP where the user enters their name
    and
    > email address, and when they submit the form, an email is automatically
    sent
    > to them. I am using CDONTs to try and acheive this. Right now I'm just
    > testing with my own email address in the "To" property.
    >
    > The problem: The email does not get sent.
    >
    > When tested on my local machine, no email is sent whatsoever. The problem
    > is slightly different when I tried it on the internet: The test email
    wasnt
    > sent, but I got an "Undeliverable mail" email sent to my "From" address.
    >
    > I have checked the following already:
    > 1) I am definately using a VALID "From" and "To" address. (the "To" is my
    > own email address, the "From" is something like "mailmydomain.co.uk"
    where
    > mydomain is my website domain name).
    > 2) The "From" and "To" addresses are different to each other.
    > 3) CDONTs is definately installed and registered on my machine + my
    webhost.
    > 4) SMTP service is running on my machine + my webhost.
    > 5) There is nothing fancy in the "Body" property, just plain text.
    >
    > This seems to be a fairly common problem, but I cannot find a definitive
    > answer. I would really appreciate a simple answer to get this working, or
    > alternatively a link to some kind of FAQ page for CDONTs problems.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Owen
    >
    > PS. would appreciate replies cc'd via email :o)
    > [email]owen.southwoodmantix.com[/email]

    Robin Guest