Professional Web Applications Themes

Centering - Web Design

In Publisher 2000, centering a title or headline between text that is full justified or left justified results in a bunch of extra space above and below the centered text. An example is seen on this page: [url]http://www.logwell.com/capabilities/equipment.html[/url] None of the space above and below the category titles actually appears on the layout, but it is seen on the web preview as well as the actual uploaded html. This odd occurrence has bugged me for years, but I have learned to live with it. It is possible to work around it a bit by creating many text boxes, but it ...

  1. #1

    Default Centering

    In Publisher 2000, centering a title or headline between text that is full
    justified or left justified results in a bunch of extra space above and below
    the centered text. An example is seen on this page:
    [url]http://www.logwell.com/capabilities/equipment.html[/url]
    None of the space above and below the category titles actually appears on the
    layout, but it is seen on the web preview as well as the actual uploaded html.

    This odd occurrence has bugged me for years, but I have learned to live with it.
    It is possible to work around it a bit by creating many text boxes, but it is an
    awkward fix. Can anyone explain what causes this, and if there is a cure?
    Maybe it is just something sill I am doing, or failing to do? Does it also
    happen in Publisher 2002 and 2003? I have a vague memory that it did not behave
    the same when I briefly tried 2002.

    TIA!
    analog@logwell.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Centering

    That spacing you see is a paragraph break versus a line break.
    Since the formatting is different (center vs. left) it has to put the title
    in one paragraph and the list in a second paragraph.
    That is correct html and Pub 2000 is doing it properly.

    If you didn't change formatting it could all be in one paragraph.

    You do want to use as few text boxes as possible, see -
    [url]http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub2k/pub2k_4.htm[/url]

    You could get around it by using separate text boxes, but the output would
    likely be an image of the two text boxes rather then actual html text.
    Publisher creates an image of anything it can't reproduce in html due to the
    way html works.

    Version 2002 and 2003 are all the more likely to create an image in order to
    more accurately render the page layout and also use newer techniques that
    expand on hmtl (which is where browser compatibility comes in to play) so
    they may handle the same thing differently.

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:

    <oglogwell.com> wrote in message
    > In Publisher 2000, centering a title or headline between text that is full
    > justified or left justified results in a bunch of extra space above and
    below
    > the centered text. An example is seen on this page:
    > [url]http://www.logwell.com/capabilities/equipment.html[/url]
    > None of the space above and below the category titles actually appears on
    the
    > layout, but it is seen on the web preview as well as the actual uploaded
    html.

    > This odd occurrence has bugged me for years, but I have learned to live
    with it.
    > It is possible to work around it a bit by creating many text boxes, but it
    is an
    > awkward fix. Can anyone explain what causes this, and if there is a cure?
    > Maybe it is just something sill I am doing, or failing to do? Does it
    also
    > happen in Publisher 2002 and 2003? I have a vague memory that it did not
    behave
    > the same when I briefly tried 2002.
    >
    > TIA!

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:56:51 -0500, "David Bartosik - MS MVP"
    <forumsdavidbartosik.com> wrote:
    >That spacing you see is a paragraph break versus a line break.
    >Since the formatting is different (center vs. left) it has to put the title
    >in one paragraph and the list in a second paragraph.
    >That is correct html and Pub 2000 is doing it properly.
    >
    >If you didn't change formatting it could all be in one paragraph.
    * What do you mean by if I didn't change formatting? I need the titles
    centered, so what would I do to get control of that spacing and get titles
    centered? I have tried just manually putting in spaces, but that does not
    always render as dependably as centering for titles.

    >You do want to use as few text boxes as possible, see -
    >[url]http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub2k/pub2k_4.htm[/url]
    >
    >You could get around it by using separate text boxes, but the output would
    >likely be an image of the two text boxes rather then actual html text.
    >Publisher creates an image of anything it can't reproduce in html due to the
    >way html works.
    * I have never seen this happen in Publisher 2000 UNLESS the text boxes
    overlap. I have pages with dozens of text boxes, and if they are separated, I
    have never seen a problem. For instance, each classified add on this page is in
    its own text box:
    [url]http://www.logwell.com/classifieds/index.html[/url]
    Is this bad technique?

    >Version 2002 and 2003 are all the more likely to create an image in order to
    >more accurately render the page layout and also use newer techniques that
    >expand on hmtl (which is where browser compatibility comes in to play) so
    >they may handle the same thing differently
    *Oh just peachy... Maybe that was one of the reasons my Publisher 2000 files
    would not translate well into 2002? Seems like M$ is clueless about continuity
    of operations in Publisher. The Word development gang would never come out with
    a new version that could not somehow properly deal with work product files from
    at least the immediate previous version.

    analog@logwell.com Guest

  4. #4

    > * What do you mean by if I didn't change formatting? I need the titles
    > centered, so what would I do to get control of that spacing and get titles
    > centered? I have tried just manually putting in spaces, but that does not
    > always render as dependably as centering for titles.

    center vs. left justify formating. if you didn't have the two formats you
    would get on paragraph not two. Again Pub 2000 is coding the correct html
    for what you want. You'd get the same vertical paragraph space in FrontPage.

    > * I have never seen this happen in Publisher 2000 UNLESS the text boxes
    > overlap. I have pages with dozens of text boxes, and if they are
    separated, I
    > have never seen a problem. For instance, each classified add on this page
    is in
    > its own text box:
    > [url]http://www.logwell.com/classifieds/index.html[/url]

    In this case since the formatting is the same the title and text are all in
    one paragraph and thus no break.

    > Is this bad technique?

    not neccessasarily. In this case each one is in a separate table. The more
    tables in a page the more code is in the page the more code in the page the
    bigger the file size of the page. Which is what my article is about,
    reducing tables and cells. If you used one text box for all of it you should
    get less code and thus a smaller file. Though in this case probably not
    much.

    > >Version 2002 and 2003 are all the more likely to create an image in order
    > >more accurately render the page layout and also use newer techniques that
    > >expand on hmtl (which is where browser compatibility comes in to play) so
    > >they may handle the same thing differently
    >
    > *Oh just peachy... Maybe that was one of the reasons my Publisher 2000
    files
    > would not translate well into 2002? Seems like M$ is clueless about
    continuity
    > of operations in Publisher. The Word development gang would never come
    out with
    > a new version that could not somehow properly deal with work product files
    from
    > at least the immediate previous version.

    A principle reason of sweeping change between version 2000 and version 2002
    is that prior to the 2002 version the Publisher product group was
    independent and did their own "thing". Version 2002 was the first release
    after Publisher was formally and fully made a "Office" product putting the
    Pub team under Office control. Meaning they have to do things the Office way
    and use Office code. Word being a core Office product has no such transition
    to work thru.

  5. #5

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:50:39 -0500, "David Bartosik - MS MVP"
    <forumsdavidbartosik.com> wrote:
    >> * What do you mean by if I didn't change formatting? I need the titles
    >> centered, so what would I do to get control of that spacing and get titles
    >> centered? I have tried just manually putting in spaces, but that does not
    >> always render as dependably as centering for titles.
    >> >

    >center vs. left justify formating. if you didn't have the two formats you
    >would get on paragraph not two. Again Pub 2000 is coding the correct html
    >for what you want. You'd get the same vertical paragraph space in FrontPage.
    ** What? You mean there is no way to center something without extra space being
    added above and below it on a webpage? That sure does not sound right.

    >> * I have never seen this happen in Publisher 2000 UNLESS the text boxes
    >> overlap. I have pages with dozens of text boxes, and if they are
    >separated, I
    >> have never seen a problem. For instance, each classified add on this page
    >is in
    >> its own text box:
    >> [url]http://www.logwell.com/classifieds/index.html[/url]
    >

    >In this case since the formatting is the same the title and text are all in
    >one paragraph and thus no break.

    ** I meant I have not seen it convert to an image unless the text boxes
    overlap, I understand there is no format change in that example. I was merely
    baffled by your comment about using too many text boxes makes Publisher create
    an image instead of plain ole text. Perhaps I misunderstood you.

    >> Is this bad technique?
    >> >

    >not neccessasarily. In this case each one is in a separate table. The more
    >tables in a page the more code is in the page the more code in the page the
    >bigger the file size of the page. Which is what my article is about,
    >reducing tables and cells. If you used one text box for all of it you should
    >get less code and thus a smaller file. Though in this case probably not
    >much.
    ** Well that little extra bit of table code is dwarfed by all the bloated code
    2003 apparently writes no matter what you do.>

    >> >Version 2002 and 2003 are all the more likely to create an image in order
    >> >more accurately render the page layout and also use newer techniques that
    >> >expand on hmtl (which is where browser compatibility comes in to play) so
    >> >they may handle the same thing differently
    >>
    >> *Oh just peachy... Maybe that was one of the reasons my Publisher 2000
    >files
    >> would not translate well into 2002? Seems like M$ is clueless about
    >continuity
    >> of operations in Publisher. The Word development gang would never come
    >out with
    >> a new version that could not somehow properly deal with work product files
    >from
    >> at least the immediate previous version.
    >>

    >A principle reason of sweeping change between version 2000 and version 2002
    >is that prior to the 2002 version the Publisher product group was
    >independent and did their own "thing". Version 2002 was the first release
    >after Publisher was formally and fully made a "Office" product putting the
    >Pub team under Office control. Meaning they have to do things the Office way
    >and use Office code. Word being a core Office product has no such transition
    >to work thru.
    ** Ohhhhh. What a pile of crap! If that is the case why is it so bloody
    incompatible with other Office Programs? I have to say this is mind boggling.
    They would have been better off staying on the Publisher 2000 track it seems to
    me. I keep thinking things will get better, but the more you explain, the more
    hopeless this Publisher for website situation seems to be.

    analog@logwell.com Guest