Professional Web Applications Themes

Centering no, but bigger yes - Web Design

At times there is a question on how to center a web site page. Publisher, (I use 2000) doesn't support centering but what you can do is select File, Page Setup and create a wider page. It will require some folks to use the width scroll bar but these days most folks are running bigger display settings which should cause minimal dissatisfaction by most. -- Don ------- We use PDF-XChange for our pdf needs. It's available at: [url]http://www.docu-track.com[/url] --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system ([url]http://www.grisoft.com[/url]). Version: 6.0.648 / Virus Database: 415 - Release Date: ...

  1. #1

    Default Centering no, but bigger yes

    --
    Don
    -------
    We use PDF-XChange for our pdf needs. It's available at:
    [url]http://www.docu-track.com[/url]

    ---

    Don Schmidt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Centering no, but bigger yes

    Don, Good suggestion, but I am wondering just how wide of page you would
    suggest given the larger monitor of the day? DavidF

    "Don Schmidt" <Retired [email]EngineerPNB.usa[/email]> wrote in message
    > At times there is a question on how to center a web site page. Publisher,
    > (I use 2000) doesn't support centering but what you can do is select File,
    > Page Setup and create a wider page. It will require some folks to use the
    > width scroll bar but these days most folks are running bigger display
    > settings which should cause minimal dissatisfaction by most.
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > -------
    > We use PDF-XChange for our pdf needs. It's available at:
    > [url]http://www.docu-track.com[/url]
    >

    > ---

    DavidF Guest

  3. #3

    interesting workaround.

    "Don Schmidt" <Retired [email]EngineerPNB.usa[/email]> wrote in message
    > At times there is a question on how to center a web site page. Publisher,
    > (I use 2000) doesn't support centering but what you can do is select File,
    > Page Setup and create a wider page. It will require some folks to use the
    > width scroll bar but these days most folks are running bigger display
    > settings which should cause minimal dissatisfaction by most.
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > -------
    > We use PDF-XChange for our pdf needs. It's available at:
    > [url]http://www.docu-track.com[/url]
    >

    > ---

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  4. #4

    I've got a 19" Hitachi with the settings at 1152 x 864 and giving the 7"
    width a try. What I experienced was several of the graphics and text boxes
    needed readjustment.

    You are welcome to visit to see what it looks like on your monitor.

    [url]http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs[/url]

    I'd be interested in your monitor display settings and how full your screen
    gets.

    --
    Don
    --------

    "DavidF" <Nopenospam.com> wrote in message
    > Don, Good suggestion, but I am wondering just how wide of page you would
    > suggest given the larger monitor of the day? DavidF
    >
    > "Don Schmidt" <Retired [email]EngineerPNB.usa[/email]> wrote in message
    > > At times there is a question on how to center a web site page.
    Publisher,
    > > (I use 2000) doesn't support centering but what you can do is select
    File,
    > > Page Setup and create a wider page. It will require some folks to use
    the
    > > width scroll bar but these days most folks are running bigger display
    > > settings which should cause minimal dissatisfaction by most.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Don
    > > -------
    > > We use PDF-XChange for our pdf needs. It's available at:
    > > [url]http://www.docu-track.com[/url]
    > >

    > > ---

    ---

    Don Schmidt Guest

  5. #5

    Good morning Don,

    For a number of reasons, I currently have my 19" set at 1024 X 768. If I do
    not have the Favorites pane open, your whole page fits...if not, there is
    about an inch or so that requires scrolling to see the right side of the
    page.

    FWIW when I tried to print the page, which may not be an issue for you, it
    cropped off the right side of the page. Never the less, I want to experiment
    with publishing pages at a higher resolution to see what impact it has on my
    site, as I use the default 'wide' setting, which I believe is 7.5". Even so,
    my page views with lots of extra white space to the right. I'll let you know
    if I discover anything helpful.

    Also FWIW, when viewing your page I noticed that the text in the section on
    'Stop Family Violence' has been converted into an image. This is probably
    because you are trying to wrap the text around the image of the stamp.
    Perhaps you don't care that this happens, but if you do then one workaround
    I use in these cirustances is to simulate wrapping by using more than one
    text frame. I create one text frame beside the image and another text frame
    below, that is the combined width of the first text frame plus the image.
    You can even set the first to flow text into the second if you want. Like I
    said, FWIW...

    > I've got a 19" Hitachi with the settings at 1152 x 864 and giving the 7"
    > width a try. What I experienced was several of the graphics and text
    boxes
    > needed readjustment.
    >
    > You are welcome to visit to see what it looks like on your monitor.
    >
    > [url]http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs[/url]
    >
    > I'd be interested in your monitor display settings and how full your
    screen
    > gets.
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > --------
    > Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in
    the
    > Americas!
    >

    > "DavidF" <Nopenospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Don, Good suggestion, but I am wondering just how wide of page you would
    > > suggest given the larger monitor of the day? DavidF
    > >
    > > "Don Schmidt" <Retired [email]EngineerPNB.usa[/email]> wrote in message
    > > > At times there is a question on how to center a web site page.
    > Publisher,
    > > > (I use 2000) doesn't support centering but what you can do is select
    > File,
    > > > Page Setup and create a wider page. It will require some folks to use
    > the
    > > > width scroll bar but these days most folks are running bigger display
    > > > settings which should cause minimal dissatisfaction by most.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Don
    > > > -------
    > > > We use PDF-XChange for our pdf needs. It's available at:
    > > > [url]http://www.docu-track.com[/url]
    > > >

    > > > ---
    > > >

    > ---

    DavidF Guest

  6. #6

    David,

    Thanks for the visit and the results. Also the comments on how to work text
    and images together. I'll do some tinkering there.

    --
    Don
    -------

    > Good morning Don,
    >
    > For a number of reasons, I currently have my 19" set at 1024 X 768. If I
    do
    > not have the Favorites pane open, your whole page fits...if not, there is
    > about an inch or so that requires scrolling to see the right side of the
    > page.
    >
    > FWIW when I tried to print the page, which may not be an issue for you, it
    > cropped off the right side of the page. Never the less, I want to
    experiment
    > with publishing pages at a higher resolution to see what impact it has on
    my
    > site, as I use the default 'wide' setting, which I believe is 7.5". Even
    so,
    > my page views with lots of extra white space to the right. I'll let you
    know
    > if I discover anything helpful.
    >
    > Also FWIW, when viewing your page I noticed that the text in the section
    on
    > 'Stop Family Violence' has been converted into an image. This is probably
    > because you are trying to wrap the text around the image of the stamp.
    > Perhaps you don't care that this happens, but if you do then one
    workaround
    > I use in these cirustances is to simulate wrapping by using more than
    one
    > text frame. I create one text frame beside the image and another text
    frame
    > below, that is the combined width of the first text frame plus the image.
    > You can even set the first to flow text into the second if you want. Like
    > said, FWIW...
    >
    > DavidF
    >
    > "Don Schmidt" <Retired [email]EngineerPNB.usa[/email]> wrote in message
    > > I've got a 19" Hitachi with the settings at 1152 x 864 and giving the 7"
    > > width a try. What I experienced was several of the graphics and text
    > boxes
    > > needed readjustment.
    > >
    > > You are welcome to visit to see what it looks like on your monitor.
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.tinyurl.com/wifs[/url]
    > >
    > > I'd be interested in your monitor display settings and how full your
    > screen
    > > gets.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Don
    > > --------
    > > Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in
    > the
    > > Americas!
    > >

    > > "DavidF" <Nopenospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > Don, Good suggestion, but I am wondering just how wide of page you
    would
    > > > suggest given the larger monitor of the day? DavidF
    > > >
    > > > "Don Schmidt" <Retired [email]EngineerPNB.usa[/email]> wrote in message
    > > Publisher,
    > > File,
    > > the

    > > ---