Professional Web Applications Themes

centering web page - Web Design

I am trying to make my web page [SocialGoals.com] look centered in the browser screen, and have tried inserting the <center> tag after the <body> tag, as per Mr Bartosik's website advice [thanks Mr B for your very valuable tips and hints] - but that doesn't seem to work. I'm using Publisher 2000, and my site is hosted by geocities, and I'm using their HTML editor. Regards Ronnie H -- Social Policy Bonds: Policy as if outcomes mattered [url]http://SocialGoals.com[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default centering web page

    --
    Social Policy Bonds:
    Policy as if outcomes mattered
    [url]http://SocialGoals.com[/url]

    Ronnie H Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: centering web page

    You may want to reread Mike's instructions to make clear anything I may
    leave out. I was using Mike's instructions for awhile but fixing every html
    page got to be more than I wanted to put up with. Also, it works with pages
    created with Publisher 2000, I don't remember if it applies to other
    versions of Publisher.

    Here is a sample inserting using Notepad set for html files of <center> AND
    </center> from one of my pages.

    line
    <center> <= Put "<center> here, just before the "<a name=top>"
    <a name=top></a>

    Now go to the bottom of the same page

    <a name=bottom></a>
    </center> <= Put "</center> here, just before the "</body>"

    This needs to be done to all of your html files.

    Good luck,

    --
    Don
    --------

    "Ronnie H" <rdeletedeletehnowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to make my web page [SocialGoals.com] look centered in the
    > browser screen, and have tried inserting the <center> tag after the <body>
    > tag, as per Mr Bartosik's website advice [thanks Mr B for your very
    valuable
    > tips and hints] - but that doesn't seem to work. I'm using Publisher 2000,
    > and my site is hosted by geocities, and I'm using their HTML editor.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Ronnie H
    > --
    > Social Policy Bonds:
    > Policy as if outcomes mattered
    > [url]http://SocialGoals.com[/url]

    Don Schmidt Guest

  3. #3

    Many thanks Don, but I have tried exactly that on my index page, and it
    doesn't seem to work [[url]http://www.geocities.com/socialpbonds.html][/url], at least
    not in my browser [IE5.0]. I have deleted my cached internet files so it
    doesn't look as though my machine is reading an old version.

    Regards, Ronnie H

  4. #4

    [url]http://www.geocities.com/socialpbonds.html[/url]

    This address doesn't come up here either.

    Did you open the html file with Notepad and do a save as an html file?

    What version of Publisher are you using?

    --
    Don
    --------

  5. #5

    Don, Try [url]http://www.geocities.com/socialpbonds/index.html[/url] to see the site.

    DavidF

    > [url]http://www.geocities.com/socialpbonds.html[/url]
    >
    > This address doesn't come up here either.
    >
    > Did you open the html file with Notepad and do a save as an html file?
    >
    > What version of Publisher are you using?
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > --------
    > Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in
    > America!
    >

    > "Ronnie H" <rdeletedeletehnowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Many thanks Don, but I have tried exactly that on my index page, and it
    > > doesn't seem to work [[url]http://www.geocities.com/socialpbonds.html][/url], at
    > least
    > > not in my browser [IE5.0]. I have deleted my cached internet files so it
    > > doesn't look as though my machine is reading an old version.
    > >
    > > Regards, Ronnie H
    > > --
    > > Social Policy Bonds:
    > > Policy as if outcomes mattered
    > > [url]http://SocialGoals.com[/url]
    > > Don Schmidt <Retired [email]EngineerPNB.usa[/email]> wrote in message
    > > > You may want to reread Mike's instructions to make clear anything I
    may
    > > > leave out. I was using Mike's instructions for awhile but fixing
    every
    > > html
    > > > page got to be more than I wanted to put up with. Also, it works with
    > > pages
    > > > created with Publisher 2000, I don't remember if it applies to other
    > > > versions of Publisher.
    > > >
    > > > Here is a sample inserting using Notepad set for html files of
    <center>
    > > AND
    > > > </center> from one of my pages.

    than
    > > one
    > > > line
    > > > <center> <= Put "<center> here, just before the "<a
    name=top>"
    > > > <a name=top></a>
    > > >
    > > > Now go to the bottom of the same page
    > > >
    > > > <a name=bottom></a>
    > > > </center> <= Put "</center> here, just before the "</body>"
    > > >
    > > > This needs to be done to all of your html files.
    > > >
    > > > Good luck,
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Don
    > > > --------
    > > > Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries
    in
    > > > America!
    > > >

    > > > "Ronnie H" <rdeletedeletehnowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > valuable
    > > 2000,

    DavidF Guest

  6. #6

    Very good detective work David. You may have hit on Ronnie's problem.

    --
    Don
    --------

  7. #7

    Thanks for your efforts guys and sorry for misquoting my website address, it
    is [url]www.geocities.com/socialpbonds/index.html[/url], and I am using Publisher 2000.
    I have added the <center> and </center> tags via geocities html editing
    process, and they are there in the source code, but the page is still not
    centered....
    Regards

  8. #8

    Perhaps try making your changes BEFORE you upload the pages to geocities as
    Don suggested. One way is to open your HTML files that you generated from
    Publisher with Notepad as Don suggested, make your changes and save, then
    upload those modified files. DavidF

  9. #9

    This is a direct quote/copy from David Bartosik's web site
    [url]http://www.davidbartosik.com/[/url]
    It's the best resource for Publisher information on the net.
    Note the reference on Publisher versions.

    Q- Can I make my web page content look centered in the browser window?
    A- This is done by centering the outer table, which cannot be done with
    Publisher. You can accomplish this by adding a center tag to the file
    yourself (only works in version 2000 and earlier). Publisher is not an html
    editor so this editing must be done outside of Publisher. You can use
    Notepad for html file editing. In this case you simply add <center> after
    tag. Remember that html edits like this done outside of Publisher will be
    lost each time you have Publisher remake the page (i.e. Save as web page).

    --
    Don
    --------

  10. #10

    Ron,
    just looked at your source, the trouble is that you are using 2000 in it's
    absolute positioning mode (standard in version 2002). So the absolutes
    overrides the center tag.
    Guess when I wrote that I assumed the reader followed "all" my advice.
    I advise that under the browser target setting in 2000 that it be set to
    3.0, the lowest setting.
    That setting renders traditional html code, not the positioning code of
    CSS2.
    Change that, resave the web pages, add the center tag, and you'll be in
    business.

    --
    David Bartosik - Microsoft MVP
    Visit [url]www.davidbartosik.com[/url]

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  11. #11

    I would advise him to make the modification locally before the upload.

  12. #12

    thanx for the compliment.

  13. #13

    Thanks David; yes, I had used 4.0 as the browser target setting, thinking
    [before I read your tip on page setup] that that was the way to widen my
    page from the 600x480 pixels. Ok, the next time I upgrade my site I will
    change that setting and I'm sure that will do the trick. Thanks to you and
    other posters for your advice and also for your website which I know I'm
    going to keep going back to.
    Regards Ronnie H
    ps, I'm less keen on centering, now that I realise that the ads that
    geocities puts onto my free site appear only on the right hand side. They
    don't interfere with my uncentered site....