Professional Web Applications Themes

centralized cron - Linux / Unix Administration

Does anyone know of a tool that will centralize cron jobs? I have hundreds of servers, each with their own cron jobs set up, and would like to centrally manage the jobs from one location. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Brigit...

  1. #1

    Default centralized cron

    Does anyone know of a tool that will centralize cron jobs? I have
    hundreds of servers, each with their own cron jobs set up, and would
    like to centrally manage the jobs from one location. Any advice would
    be appreciated. Thanks.

    Brigit
    ITchick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: centralized cron

    ITchick <com> wrote:

    I don't know of anything specific to cron for this, but a number of options
    come to mind. CVS, rsync or NFS for the cron spools might work (with a cron
    job to reread the files if necessary for your cron). Using ssh to run crontab
    commands is pretty easily automated as well.
    --
    Mark Rafn net <http://www.dagon.net/>
    Mark Guest

  3. #3

    In article <chl1ue$osp$0$com>,
    net (Mark Rafn) wrote:

    > I don't know of anything specific to cron for this, but a number of options
    > come to mind. CVS, rsync or NFS for the cron spools might work (with a cron
    > job to reread the files if necessary for your cron). Using ssh to run crontab
    > commands is pretty easily automated as well.[/ref]

    You're talking about a "job scheduling" software package. Don't expect
    to find something that's free or cheap unless you write your own.

    The one that was under consideration at my last contract was AutoSys.
    It allowed for jobs to be scheduled and managed from a central console
    and single system. We had it because there was significant business
    processing that depended on multiple systems. It was handled in cron
    and was very difficult to manage on multiple systems. Any sort of
    change from the day-to-day schedule ed it up and required editing
    multiple crontabs. We were going to use it to manage a datacenter and
    20 SUN Enterprise servers, but it could also run clients on NT.

    AutoSys required network access to _all_ systems it managed and a
    commercial database to hold the scheduling tables (we had Oracle, but
    YMMV). The Oracle database had to be up 7x24 as did the scheduling
    system which required significant modifications to our backup strategy
    (we did daily full cold backups on all systems).

    This might be way overkill for what you want. Perhaps a standardized
    crontab on many systems? For that, you'll need a process to store the
    crontab files (CVS? RCS?) and distribute them to many machines (push it
    out from a master or pull from server(s)).

    Overall, this is a project that should be looked at from requirements,
    design, and implementation. I don't think you'll really go very far
    until you fully outline the requirements (which you didn't really
    describe here--hint, hint).

    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    net (Mark Rafn) wrote in message news:<chl1ue$osp$0$com>...

    > I don't know of anything specific to cron for this, but a number of options
    > come to mind. CVS, rsync or NFS for the cron spools might work (with a cron
    > job to reread the files if necessary for your cron). Using ssh to run crontab
    > commands is pretty easily automated as well.[/ref]

    There's an application sold by Computer Associates called AutoSys,
    which will allow for just this sort of thing. It's a paid
    application, and it's not cheap, but if you have lots of users, lots
    of systems and lots of jobs to manage, it's worth at least looking
    into. I'm currently administering that app at my company and it's
    fairly simply to install and run, and the actual use of the
    application isn't too tough either.

    Patrick
    Patrick Guest