Professional Web Applications Themes

centralizing crontab for easier management - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi, I manage a mix of solaris and linux servers. one of my main concerns for the moment is that fact that we have horrible backup schedules (lots of different applications require specialized backup scripts that create files/archives that we need to put on tape afterwards). sometimes a job can fail without us noticing because the error report didn't reach us via mail. Due to the nature of the very diverse backups, we have no centralized backup software (such as legato, netbackup or ....). Did I mention that we don't have a budget for such software as well ? What ...

  1. #1

    Default centralizing crontab for easier management

    Hi,

    I manage a mix of solaris and linux servers. one of my main concerns for the
    moment is that fact that we have horrible backup schedules (lots of
    different applications require specialized backup scripts that create
    files/archives that we need to put on tape afterwards). sometimes a job can
    fail without us noticing because the error report didn't reach us via mail.
    Due to the nature of the very diverse backups, we have no centralized backup
    software (such as legato, netbackup or ....). Did I mention that we don't
    have a budget for such software as well ?

    What I would like to implement is some sort of a job scheduler that runs on
    a server and pushes the jobs to run to the destination server (be it linux,
    solaris or *nix), and reports back to the 'master' with both stdout and
    stderr.

    Now, I am aware of tools such as openpbs and sun's gridengine that - in
    theory - could be configured to do this, but I was wondering if anyone has
    ever used these tools for such purposes (they're mostly used for grids and
    hpc).

    or can so. suggest sth. better ?

    thx,

    tom.

    Tom Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: centralizing crontab for easier management

    Tom Van Overbeke wrote:

    Rsync?
    Ben Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:59:15 -0400, Ben <com> wrote: [/ref]

    There are environments where 'r' services haven't been turned off yet?
    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    In comp.unix.admin Dave Hinz <net>: [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    rsync -e ssh ....?

    mail: echo qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    #bofh excuse 14: sounds like a Windows problem, try calling
    Microsoft support
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:42:43 +0200, Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    You know, right after I hit send, I had that "hey, idiot, you're using
    rsync over ssh all over the place". Ah well...maybe I was thinking it
    said "rdist" or something, who knows. That or it's too early/not enough
    coffee yet. Yes, I think that is more likely.

    Dave Guest

  6. #6

    In comp.unix.admin Dave Hinz <net>: [/ref]
    > [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    rdist -P /usr/bin/ssh ...?

    Get some more coffee? ;-)

    mail: echo qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    #bofh excuse 312: incompatible bit-registration operators
    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:06:18 +0200, Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Figures...

    OK, did that, now what?

    Dave Guest

  8. #8

    <be> wrote in <die191$ogf$nl.colt.net>:

    I would suggest you look at some sort of batch scheduling software
    (Control-M from BMC, TWS from IBM, etc are examples).
    That way you can centralize the scheduling and supervising of your jobs.

    If you find any good OpenSource you could drop a line about it in this
    group. Probably more ppl interested.

    With a tight budget you could also make your backup scripts write a
    short status to a log. You then can write a script to create an HTML-page
    you check manually every day (so you won't have to depend on email).
    The script could write an errormessage if it didn't find any status from
    a given system.

    --
    Stein Arne
    Stein Guest

  9. #9

    Hi Tom,

    On 2005-10-10, Tom Van Overbeke <be> wrote:

    Have you heard of Amanda? It's a free (GPL) network disk archiver.

    www.amanda.org

    HTH

    Simon.

    --
    Simon Hooper

    Simon Guest

  10. #10

    On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:07:24 +0000 (UTC), Simon Hooper <nu> wrote:

    Does that help with central scheduling?

    Dave Guest

  11. #11

    If you use one machine running cron, you could write your shell scripts to
    connect to the remote host and fire off the backup using whatever software
    package you choose. I use this method in a production environment where I
    have 3 groups of 30 machines each, and it works great, and have no problems
    in last 4.5 yrs.

    --
    Brian Gutman

    Brian Guest

  12. #12

    Cfengine is good for centralised management. We use it for Linux and
    Solaris. Not only for your crontabs, but many other stuff (patch
    management, centralised apps management, etc).

    Cfengine.org

    apairudin Guest

  13. #13

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    "apairudin" <com> writes:

    Do you use it for Solaris packages as well? I've been looking for
    contributed cfengine configs for patches and packages and haven't
    seen much published. I would be very interested in seeing what you
    have designed if you'd be willing to make it available.

    --
    - Kyle
    Kyle Guest

  14. #14

    Dave Hinz wrote:

    > [/ref]
    >

    > Figures...
    >

    > OK, did that, now what?
    >[/ref]

    Remove foot from mouth ...
    Ben Guest

  15. #15

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:45:23 -0400, Ben <com> wrote:

    >> OK, did that, now what?[/ref][/ref]

    (shrug) Been wrong before, I suspect it'll happen again...

    Dave Guest