Professional Web Applications Themes

CF and Mach-ii ?? - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

What makes a Big Difference when coding with Plain CF when compared to working with MACH-II applying OO design, it's been more structural you could say, but what about performance when going thru all the hierarchies. am unsure of Mach-ii's performance but am much confident with plain CF performance issues. which one do u prefer? MACH-II or just Coldfusion when applying for SOHO.(small scale projects). or Large Scale Projects. and i saw none of the websites have much clear info on mach-ii.. (maybe am weak at googling).. any Inputs?...

  1. #1

    Default CF and Mach-ii ??

    What makes a Big Difference when coding with Plain CF when compared to working
    with MACH-II applying OO design, it's been more structural you could say, but
    what about performance when going thru all the hierarchies. am unsure of
    Mach-ii's performance but am much confident with plain CF performance issues.

    which one do u prefer? MACH-II or just Coldfusion when applying for
    SOHO.(small scale projects). or Large Scale Projects.

    and i saw none of the websites have much clear info on mach-ii.. (maybe am
    weak at googling)..

    any Inputs?

    weblover Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CF and Mach-ii ??

    On 2005-07-05 21:12:29 -0500, "weblover" <chava_sree> said:
    > What makes a Big Difference when coding with Plain CF when compared to
    > working with MACH-II applying OO design, it's been more structural you
    > could say, but what about performance when going thru all the
    > hierarchies. am unsure of Mach-ii's performance but am much confident
    > with plain CF performance issues.
    > which one do u prefer? MACH-II or just Coldfusion when applying for
    > SOHO.(small scale projects). or Large Scale Projects.
    >
    > and i saw none of the websites have much clear info on mach-ii..
    > (maybe am weak at googling)..
    > any Inputs?
    As the old saying goes, everything's a tradeoff. If your project is
    extremely small you may not need Mach-II, but it really starts to shine
    on small or medium projects that turn into large projects (as is so
    often the case!). As a general comment, developing with frameworks has
    a lot of benefits, from consistency of development methodology to
    better maintainability and flexibility within the application codebase.

    Concerning performance, Mach-II holds up extremely well because of the
    native "load once" mechanism for much of the framework and your
    application's objects within Mach-II. Is it as fast as plain old
    procedural CF code? It depends on the specific situation, but in
    application development there definitely has to be a balance between
    raw speed and the maintainability of the application. If an
    application is extremely fast but unmaintainable that's certainly not a
    good situation. I can say that based on what I've done with Mach-II
    and what I've heard from numerous others, Mach-II performance is not an
    overriding concern. When the framework is in production mode it's
    quite fast, and of course you can use the typical CF caching techniques
    in a Mach-II application just as you can in any CF app to gain some
    speed.

    As for what I prefer, since even my small projects these days turn into
    large ones pretty regularly, I tend to build most of my applications
    with Mach-II. If you don't have much OO experience then Mach-II may be
    a bit difficult to dig into, but the payback for the time invested to
    learn OO and Mach-II is huge. I'm part of the team working on the next
    release of Mach-II and one of the big areas we're going to improve is
    doentation, so keep an eye on the Mach-II web site
    ([url]http://www.mach-ii.com[/url]) for further details soon.

    If you're interested in developing with frameworks but don't have much
    experience with OO, definitely check out Fusebox as well
    ([url]http://www.fusebox.org[/url]). Fusebox 4.1 has some really nice features
    and is more approachable for people without an OO background.

    Hope that helps,
    Matt
    --
    Matt Woodward