I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, notably "no," but I'll ask
anyway: Do any of you know of any reason to believe that X-rays, like at
airport security stations, can erase compact-flash cards? That sounds like
the stuff of urban legends, and I have in fact have not seen any evidence
to that effect.

Nevertheless, there is *somewhat* plausible reason to not entirely rule it
out: Notably, flash memory is a descendant of the technology used for
EPROMs (pumping charge into an insulator above the gate of a transistor),
and old-style EPROMs were erased through a window when exposed to
ultraviolet light. I guess it's not entirely impossible that X-rays could
perhaps erase them too, especially if airport X-ray machines use
lower-frequency X-rays (I don't personally know either way).