Portland, Oregon, USA <---- ******************************************************************* ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address ******************************************************************* [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Andrew [ip] => usenetMYSHOES@b [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 4 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> CF cards versus Microdrive - Photography

and electronics are 100% sound.......or are they swash "Mike" <com> wrote in message news:Z2WRa.2626$cableinet.net... [/ref] that  > fails.  > speed  > Anything machanical is a fault liability. I would think professionals us > solid state. Thats what logic dictates. > Mike > >[/ref]...

  1. #1

    Default Re: CF cards versus Microdrive

    "Mike" <com> wrote in message
    news:Z2WRa.2626$cableinet.net... [/ref]
    that
    > fails.
    > speed
    > Anything machanical is a fault liability. I would think professionals us
    > solid state. Thats what logic dictates.
    > Mike
    >
    >[/ref]

    SwashBuckle Guest

  2. #2

    in the days of the mechanical drawing board we could carry on when there was
    a power cut......now we have to wait for our electronic powered puters to
    start back up before we can detail/draw.

    swash
    "SwashBuckle" <freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:bf9crf$16c$svr.pol.co.uk... [/ref]
    > that [/ref][/ref]
    images
    > > fails.
    > > speed
    > > Anything machanical is a fault liability. I would think professionals us
    > > solid state. Thats what logic dictates.
    > > Mike
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    SwashBuckle Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:21:43 +0100, "SwashBuckle"
    <freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
     [/ref]

    Your logic is flawed. CF have mostly electronics, apart from the
    mechanical interface. MDs have both electronic and mechanical
    components, with the mechanical occupying a major role. As an owner of
    a dead MD guess where my loyalties now lie.

    MJ
    MJ@MJ.com Guest

  4. #4

    com wrote:
    : Your logic is flawed. CF have mostly electronics, apart from the
    : mechanical interface. MDs have both electronic and mechanical
    : components, with the mechanical occupying a major role. As an owner of
    : a dead MD guess where my loyalties now lie.

    So do you think people who own dead flash cards (and flash cards do
    die - ask around) would be loyal to microdrives?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

    Andrew Guest

  5. #5

    Mike wrote:

    Why is it ALL the professional digital cameras (DSLR'S) including the 14n and
    1Ds are built to take Microdrives ?

    I've always been a supporter of microdrives. They *are* dependible and they
    were the best bang for the buck.. But since solid state flash has come down
    so much lately, MD's and CF cards are starting to run neck and neck.

    Jim Guest

  6. #6

    MarkH wrote:

    > I would presume it is so that more people will buy them. Some consumers
    > like microdrives, some already own them. These people may decide not to
    > buy a particular camera if it doesn’t support microdrives, hence the
    > manufacturer loses revenue.[/ref]

    Yes but the comment I was replying to was:
     [/ref]

    My question was rehtorical.. If professionals never used MD's it would be
    pointless do design *every* Pro camera out there to take MD's.

    The 1Ds and 14n are not consumer cameras.. They list in the $8000.00 US
    range.. They both take microdrives.

    Yes.. but again.. The only cameras that can use the 4 Gig drives are ones that
    support FAT32.. And.. As of now, only the Professional Cameras support
    FAT32. (The 10D does, they are used professionally, but the price is low
    enough that it's become a popular consumer camera).

    If professionals didn't use microdrives, then do only pro cameras support the
    4Gig drives ?

    Jim Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, dumbass it HAS been asked before. Another killfile
    faggot found and FLUSSSSHED! Eat cheese!

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "briwy" <freeserve.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    that
    fails.
    speed

    Tony Guest

  8. #8

    On 19 Jul 2003 05:07:13 GMT, com (Andrew)
    wrote:

    The number of flash cards in circulation vastly outnumber the MDs. So
    statistically there will also be a higher number of failed CF cards.
    This does not make flash cards more unreliable. Basic maths. Or math,
    as you like to say in the US.

    MJ
    MJ@MJ.com Guest

  9. #9

    Why doesn't everyone just give it up. There is no need for a flame war or a
    my drive is better than yours..... arguement here.

    There are people who use the Micro Drives who are perfectly happy and so set
    that their high capacity drives are superior to CF that you aren't going to
    change their minds. No matter what FACTS you give them.

    I personally use CF and have about 6 cards and have had some of them for 4
    years (over 5000 photos) and never has one gone bad. Yes, even solid state
    devices can fail. Manufacturer defects etc. user errors, can all effect the
    dependancy of anything. Circuit boards can crack, solder points can come
    undone or unlaminated from a board...

    Personally I am of the belief, whether correctly or not, that the more moving
    parts you have, the more chance for failure, breakage, wear etc. can happen. If
    You are always shooting in a controlled environment like a climate controlled
    safe studio than you might prefer the micro drives and you may not notice any
    problems in the lifetime of your drive. However, it is my understanding that,
    if you use your drive for more rugged uses like sports where you could get
    tackled along the sidelines of a football game or for News where you might be
    in environments where your camera bag could be bouncing around the back of a
    jeep in a war zone or bouncing around at your side when you are running to
    catch a riot or simply trying to get away to safety, or maybe you are venturing
    off into deserts or other climes where temps and conditions can be extreme
    than your microdrive could end up josteled around enough to break some of the
    small,delicate, "MICRO", moving parts leaving it useless. Remember also in
    extreme climates lubrication of moving parts can thin in the heat giving less
    protection for moving parts or thicken in cold temperatures causing things to
    slow down or even stop. With CF, at least theoretically, since there aren't
    moving parts you don't have to worry as much about temperature extremes. Of
    course in extreme cold, your battery could crap out on you or your shutter,
    aperature and other moving parts could stiffen...

    As for the fact that professional cameras being compatable for them (Micro
    Drives), My D100 is even able to use Micro Drive. That doesn't mean that MD
    is necessarily better or that I have to use it. It isn't a matter of Micro
    Drive being superior to the CF cards. It is simply flexibility. Some
    photographers might prefer the MDs because they already have them or they are
    used in other equipment and are thus more practical for their situations. It
    may also be due to the fact that when many of these cameras were first
    introduced the largest CF cards available might have been 256 or 512 and to get
    to a gig, MD was your only choice. Or that the high cost of CF makes MD more
    attractive for the budget minded photographer who would rather buy another lens
    than a bigger CF card. Now there are 1gig and 2 gig CF cards available which
    makes the MDs almost obsolete. (OOPS, just checking Lexar.com and find that
    they have a picture on their site of a 4gig CF Card) I don't see the 4 gig
    cards available yet though. However, you could spend $800US for a 2 gig
    card, or about $400 for a 1gig card. Or, you can pay, about $220 for a 1 gig
    Microdrive. Maybe for some it is simply a budget decision and their uses of
    their cameras are consistant with not over stressing the Microdrives.

    WMAS Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks for the replies.
    Seems to bear out my thoughts that the CF card is likley to be more reliable
    which is my main concern
    Brian
    "briwy" <freeserve.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    fails.
    speed

    briwy Guest

  11. #11

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 16:42:18 +0100, com wrote:

    >The number of flash cards in circulation vastly outnumber the MDs. So
    >statistically there will also be a higher number of failed CF cards.
    >This does not make flash cards more unreliable. Basic maths. Or math,
    >as you like to say in the US.[/ref]

    Unless the failure rate of MD is even more vast than the relative
    numbers of MD vs CF. Which may well be the case.

    A more worth while way of looking at things is:

    A year ago or so, for large CF, MD was much cheaper. If you wanted
    large CF, and were not rich, you got MD.

    Now 1gb solid state (SS) CF is pretty cheap. Now people get SS CF.

    4gb MD will be out soon? 4GB SS CF is quite expensive. People may well
    buy 4gb MD.

    Gunn
    Chris Guest

  12. #12

    com wrote in news:com:
     [/ref]

    So get a UPS.
    Browntimdc Guest

  13. #13

    com (WMAS 1960) wrote in

    It's funny how Mark and Jim have lost track of what they disagreed about
    :o)
    Browntimdc Guest

  14. #14

    Get a CF card. They are reasonably priced now in
    comparison to microdrives and you do not need to worry about dropping them.
    I used to use a microdrive with my Canon 1d. Unfortunately I dropped mine.
    Expensive piece of junk now!

    Mike
    "Jim" <com> wrote in message
    news:bfuo19$f5m$btinternet.com... [/ref]
    that
    > fails.
    > speed
    >
    >[/ref]