Professional Web Applications Themes

CF hangs when database server hangs or crashes - Coldfusion Server Administration

This may be as simple as a configuration change, but hoping someone understands this behavior and can offer suggestions (or at least additional questions to ask to better isolate the source of the problem)... Environment: ColdfusionMX7 is running on a Linux box (Suse Enterprise 9 to be specific). It also shares the server with Apache. This is our primary/public CF server. We have a second server (running Windows Server (2003, I believe) that runs another copy of ColdFusion, Access and MySQL. Our Primary CF server has a MySQL datasource which points to this server. Some CF apps on the primary ...

  1. #1

    Default CF hangs when database server hangs or crashes

    This may be as simple as a configuration change, but hoping someone understands
    this behavior and can offer suggestions (or at least additional questions to
    ask to better isolate the source of the problem)...

    Environment:
    ColdfusionMX7 is running on a Linux box (Suse Enterprise 9 to be specific).
    It also shares the server with Apache. This is our primary/public CF server.

    We have a second server (running Windows Server (2003, I believe) that runs
    another copy of ColdFusion, Access and MySQL. Our Primary CF server has a
    MySQL datasource which points to this server. Some CF apps on the primary
    server also rely on output from CF apps on this server.

    The problem occurs when the Windows server becomes "unavailable". It may be
    because the disk runs out of space (so apps stop responding), the server itself
    hangs or crashes... Basically anything that causes it to freeze or crash....
    stop responding.

    This causes Coldfusion on the primary server to follow suit -- it will quickly
    freeze itself and stay frozen until there is human intervention. Even if the
    Windows server is corrected (fixed/rebooted/whatever), the primary CF server
    will stay frozen until it is manually restarted.

    Obviously I would expect the application to be robust enough to handle
    failures of that nature, and have the ability to recover (or fail even
    non-gracefully) from those conditions, but that's not what we're experiencing
    (we saw the same behavior on CF 5 as well).

    Are we doing something wrong that sounds familiar to someone, or is there a
    configuration that may make sense on the surface that we don't recognize as
    problematic?

    Even though we're working to stabilize the Windows server, we stil feel it's
    important to make sure that our primary CF server doesn't just choke the life
    out of everyone's data for all eternity when it gets upset. :-)

    Help, insight, questions most appreciated.

    Skjaeret Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CF hangs when database server hangs or crashes

    Using MS Access in a multi-threaded fashion has been known to cause
    stability issues in the past on some customer configurations. Not sure it
    that could be the root of your stability issues or not, but that's something
    that did jump out at me.

    Damon Cooper Guest

  3. #3

    Also seeing the same thing.
    Web Servers and SQL Servers are Windows.
    Web servers only run CF and IIS.
    SQL just running SQL.
    If SQL server goes down, I have to check every IIS Web to be 100% sure
    that they all are still seeing the SQL server when it comes back up.

    fquinn@bcoe.org Guest