Professional Web Applications Themes

CF restarting itself - Macromedia ColdFusion

We have been having a problem recently that I have been able to reproduce several times but I have not been able to fix. The Main problem is that CF just restarts itself with no indication as to why during a certain process we are doing. It literally just restarts itself out of nowhere almost every time. Now I have gone through the code piece by piece and running them in loops and such individually will not produce the error it seems. The program is actually quite simple, it reads in a Cobol Report file that consists of 40,000 ? ...

  1. #1

    Default CF restarting itself

    We have been having a problem recently that I have been able to reproduce
    several times but I have not been able to fix.

    The Main problem is that CF just restarts itself with no indication as to why
    during a certain process we are doing. It literally just restarts itself out of
    nowhere almost every time.

    Now I have gone through the code piece by piece and running them in loops and
    such individually will not produce the error it seems.

    The program is actually quite simple, it reads in a Cobol Report file that
    consists of 40,000 ? 90,000 lines and processes the file one at line at time
    entering products from the report into SQL server. The process is quite simple,
    nothing clever or out of the ordinary.
    -Reads the file in using cffile and puts each line into an array then
    processes one line at a time
    -Runs through the file line by line, ps it to make sure it?s a product
    line and if it is to get the required data from the line.
    -Check the database to see if the product already exists
    -Updates the existing product if it does, Insert?s the new product if it
    doesn?t

    Voila

    The page will run fine then I receive the following error, this is just as CF
    restarts itself.
    ?Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your
    request.
    JRun closed connection.?

    The end result is that usually 12,000 ? 16,000 lines into the file but not at
    the same record ColdFusion just reboots itself. This is not a new program and
    has always worked in the past, the only change that has happened over time is
    the increase in the size of the database.
    ? There is nothing logged to indicate why it rebooted
    ? the machine doesn?t seem to be unresponsive or have any problems leading up
    to the restart.
    ? ColdFusion still serves up pages in good time
    ? Memory Usage does not increase in any noticeable amount.
    ? SQL Server does not appear to be overworked nor does it become sluggish or
    unresponsive.

    I have tried running the CF and SQL Server on the same machine, on different
    machines in different combinations of both. This happens with absolutely
    nothing else happening on the machine. Cfstat doesn?t show anything out of the
    ordinary. I have tried manually logging every single step in the process (when
    it starts and when it finishes) and it always fails in the SQL but not
    necessarily the same SQL. Sometimes it?s the update, sometimes it?s the insert.

    Systems I have reproduced the error on.

    Dell
    Single Processor 3.0ghz Xeon Server
    Windows Server 2000 IIS
    2 Gig ram
    Standard Edition CF6.1 with newest updater
    SQLserver 2000 sp3

    Dell PowerEdge 1850 Server
    Windows Server 2003 IIS
    Dual 3.0ghz Xeon
    2 gigs of ram
    CF7 with the hotfix pack
    SQL Server 2000 sp4

    Dell PowerEdge 1400SC
    Windows Server 2000 IIS
    900 mhz P3
    784 MB ram
    Standard Edition CF6.1 with newest updater

    Dell Dimension 4700 Desktop
    Windows XP Pro IIS
    3.0 ghz P4 HT
    512 Ram
    CF7 developer edition

    I have updated everything I can think of, CF, JRun, SequelLink Drivers, SQL
    Server, Java and I can?t fix it.

    mbiebrich Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CF restarting itself

    This is a shot in the dark here, but we had Coldfusion MX 6.1 running in a
    jerry-rigged manner to a no-name AccuCOBOL driver. We also had a God-awful
    flat file database system that it tagged. When we told it to request to do
    large tasks we'd often get the JRUN CLOSED CONNECTION error.

    We contacted Macromedia who only told us that we should try running the app on
    a MS SQL backend instead (not much help there) I did as much research as I
    could remember but don't think I found a solution. I think last I could
    recall, the JRUN server closed connection because the threads were taken up and
    the database connection started to timeout (due to the large task or the fact
    that a variable was created that was so large, it was eating up massive amounts
    of memory)

    Ultimately we upgraded to CFMX 7 Standard and havn't had the problem since.

    Aegis Guest

  3. #3

    you might to re-think your approach a bit. see if any of these make any sense:

    http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&thread
    id=1037054&highlight_key=y&keyword1=java%2EIO

    PaulH Guest