Professional Web Applications Themes

CF8 Multiserver IIS6-Jrun Broken Images - Coldfusion Server Administration

Hello All We have run into a problem with the multiserver install of CF8 Enterprise Edition. I would appreciate any insight into it. Server details: Web Servers IIS 6.0 on Windows 2003 Server Use the JRun connector to communicate with CF servers (.cfm .cfml .cfc .cfr mapped to jrun_iis6.dll) CF 8 servers: CF8.0.1 Enterprise edition; on windows 2003 server; 1 cluster of 2 instances; running the proxy service on default ports (51000, 51002 and so on), We want to use the reverse proxy for every type of file for specific virtual directories on the Web server. This includes, .js, .css, ...

  1. #1

    Default CF8 Multiserver IIS6-Jrun Broken Images

    Hello All

    We have run into a problem with the multiserver install of CF8 Enterprise
    Edition. I would appreciate any insight into it.

    Server details:
    Web Servers
    IIS 6.0 on Windows 2003 Server
    Use the JRun connector to communicate with CF servers (.cfm .cfml .cfc .cfr
    mapped to jrun_iis6.dll)

    CF 8 servers:
    CF8.0.1 Enterprise edition; on windows 2003 server; 1 cluster of 2 instances;
    running the proxy service on default ports (51000, 51002 and so on),

    We want to use the reverse proxy for every type of file for specific virtual
    directories on the Web server. This includes, .js, .css, .gif, .jpg files.

    Problem:
    The coldfusion specific file formats are proxied to the CF servers without a
    problem (since an IIS mapping exists for each of them). However, for the static
    file formats it does not work (broken images, missing .css files etc.)

    We have observed that:
    a) if there is no extension mapping on web server, IIS 6.0 sends a 404 message
    for the images on the page
    b) if there is an extension mapping to the same jrun_iis6.dll on the web
    server, we get a 503 error from the CF server (Indicating no mapping on the CF
    server)
    c) if in addition to (b), we introduce a url-pattern mapping in web.xml, and
    associate it with CfmServlet, we start getting the content of the image in a
    stream (Server response = 200 ) but with incorrect content-type (it comes
    across as text/html). The images still appear broken because the content-type
    is incorrect.

    At this point, we are at a loss of what we are missing.

    Has anyone run into this problem before... any pointers will be much
    appreciated!

    Regards
    Kev

    deepblue9999 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CF8 Multiserver IIS6-Jrun Broken Images

    deepblue9999 wrote:

    Very close. You need to map the extensions to the FileServlet, not the
    CfmServlet. Then restart CF and you are in business. You can even remove
    the mappings in IIS, the mappings in web.xml will overrule them anyway.

    Jochem

    --
    Jochem van Dieten
    Adobe Community Expert for ColdFusion

  3. #3

    Hi Jochem

    Thank you for the prompt response. I also appreciate your deep and thorough
    understanding of the product.
    We took your suggested route and it works like a charm.

    Just so we understand, is it safe to assume that all the non-cfm extensions
    are being proxied by the jrun_iis6_wildcard.dll to the CF server and handled on
    that end?

    Thank you once again.

    Best regards
    Kev

    deepblue9999 Guest

  4. #4

    deepblue9999 wrote:

    When the webserver starts and loads the connector library, it reads an
    IP and port from a configuration file. Then it tries to connect to a
    JRun on that IP and port and when the connection is accepted retrieves a
    list of all the mappings that are in web.xml on the JRun side. That list
    of mappings is then used by the wildcard mapping to filter requests and
    forward them to JRun. On the JRun side the info in web.xml is used again
    to make sure the request is handled by the proper servlet.

    Does that answer your question?

    Jochem

  5. #5

    Hi Jochem

    Thank you for your insight and your answers. It is much appreciated.

    Regards
    Kev
    deepblue999 Guest