Professional Web Applications Themes

cfhttp inconsistencies - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

Hi, I have an issue on a specific web host that is frustrating me. I am doing a cfhttp call to paypal to get a response. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes (most times) it does not. So...for testing purposes I have a page that does various calls to other sites to see if it comes back ok or not. http://www.owtreasures.com/temp_paypal.cfm You will notice that the last one webserve.ca is the web host. This one will always come back OK. Any idea what would make the other sites inconsistent? Also....I have another web host that I have the same page on, ...

  1. #1

    Default cfhttp inconsistencies

    Hi,

    I have an issue on a specific web host that is frustrating me.

    I am doing a cfhttp call to paypal to get a response. Sometimes it comes
    back, sometimes (most times) it does not.

    So...for testing purposes I have a page that does various calls to other
    sites to see if it comes back ok or not.

    http://www.owtreasures.com/temp_paypal.cfm

    You will notice that the last one webserve.ca is the web host. This one
    will always come back OK.

    Any idea what would make the other sites inconsistent?

    Also....I have another web host that I have the same page on, and all sites
    come back OK each and every time, so I am thinking it's something specific
    to webserve.ca.

    The other site is http://www.apmsolutions.ca/temp_paypal.cfm

    Any help would be great. Maybe even something I can mention to the web host
    so they can check.

    ziggy31 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: cfhttp inconsistencies

    Yes, the Internet conxion ;-).

    Seriously, though, have you tested pulling up these sites from a browser on
    the web server in question? Either that or use curl or wget to do a page
    request. Could be that this machine cannot hit the urls, or that the
    connection is slow and your timeout is set too short, things like that.

    Bottom line is, cfhttp mimics a page request, so all things being equal
    (Proxies used, etc...), if you can't pull up these pages by some other means,
    it's not going to work through cfhttp.

    BSterner Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, all these URLs work when just entering them into a browser. Every time.
    And if you go to the http://www.apmsolutions.ca/temp_paypal.cfm you will see
    that they all work fine.

    The timeout is set to 5 seconds on these right now, but I have had them with
    no timeout, and they still do not work.

    What is this curl and wget?

    ziggy31 Guest

  4. #4

    If you are not already using a proxy server, this is probably required.

    You can also run a tracert to see where things are stalling and then talk to webserve.ca about it.

    MikerRoo Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, all these URLs work when just entering them into a browser.

    A browser on the web server? You need to pull them up from the machine that's
    trying to issue the cfhttp request. If the browser is on the web server, than
    I agree w/MikerRoo, it's probably a proxy issue. Look in the browser for the
    proxy ip/name and add this attribute to your cfhttp tag. btw, you may want to
    think about increasing the timeout period for testing.

    What is this curl and wget?

    They're command line tools that (among other things) allow you to issue a web
    page request. If you have a windows environment and a browser on the web
    server, don't worry about it.

    BSterner Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry....when I said that the URLs worked in the browser, I meant by own browser.

    How would I test this from the web server?
    ziggy31 Guest

  7. #7

    You probably can't.

    You would need VNC, or terminal server, or PC anywhere, or ILO access to the web server (or be physically at the server).
    Your host probably allows none of these.

    MikerRoo Guest

  8. #8

    Ya...I didn't think so. That's why I was relying on the web host to investigate this. Unfortunately, they aren't the quickest bunch to get around to things.
    ziggy31 Guest

  9. #9

    Is there a way to do a tracert from their servers without actually being at the servers?
    ziggy31 Guest

  10. #10

    You can do this from telnet or (often) ftp.

    You can also do it using cfexecute but it gets tricky.

    You can do it with a java call for sure but I don't have the code in front of
    me at the moment.
    (You should have FTP and telnet access anyway).

    MikerRoo Guest

  11. #11

    yes, telnet is a handy way to test port conxions.

    telnet [some_ip_or_address] [port_num]
    BSterner Guest

  12. #12

    Forgot to mention (you probably already know)...

    "tracert" is the windows version. Telnet and FTP (traceroute not always available from FTP) usually use "traceroute" for this command.

    MikerRoo Guest