Professional Web Applications Themes

CFINDEX stops responding - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

We are trying to index with TYPE=PATH a directory which contains roughly 20k files. These files are a collection of HTML, DOC, and PDF. I have tried multiple times to index this directory using CFINDEX. Though according to the task manager the index has completed in roughly 20-30 minutes the CFINDEX CFM template does not respond. Furthermore my post CFINDEX processing tags do not fire off either. I have ommitted all file extensions except HTM/HTML and still get the same result. However, in the end the index is healthy and I can bounce criteria off of it with CFSEARCH. It ...

  1. #1

    Default CFINDEX stops responding

    We are trying to index with TYPE=PATH a directory which contains roughly 20k
    files. These files are a collection of HTML, DOC, and PDF. I have tried
    multiple times to index this directory using CFINDEX. Though according to the
    task manager the index has completed in roughly 20-30 minutes the CFINDEX CFM
    template does not respond. Furthermore my post CFINDEX processing tags do not
    fire off either. I have ommitted all file extensions except HTM/HTML and still
    get the same result. However, in the end the index is healthy and I can bounce
    criteria off of it with CFSEARCH. It does seem intact. Any suggestions? I
    would like to schedule this CFM template to run nightly but fear that we will
    run into problems since the post CFINDEX processing tags deletes certain
    black-listed keys from this particular site -- very imporant. -- Rich

    Rich_Willmore Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CFINDEX stops responding

    Any help??

    -- Rich
    Rich_Willmore Guest

  3. #3

    What version CF?

    Does the index work if you break the work in to smaller chunks? Is there a
    particular file or directory that causes the template to get stuck?

    --
    Tom Jordahl
    Macromedia Server Development

    Tom Jordahl Guest

  4. #4

    I have the same problems with indexing if anything else is happening on the
    server at the same time. So, what I do is run an initial, manual index on the
    really large collections from the administrator last at night (when I know
    there will be no activity) and then have a sceduled task to run every night
    that is designed to update all the doents. I am sucessful updating about
    50k doents a night with this method.

    robstacey Guest

  5. #5

    We are CF 6.1 w/ latest patches etc... The CFINDEX does not seem to stop on a
    particular file or file type. I do have better luck when indexing smaller
    chunks of the data with CFINDEX.

    Indexing via CF admin does seem to work better and updating the index on a
    scheduled interval would pick up all the newly added doents. The problem
    (to the best of my knowledge) is deleting the KEY(s) from the index once a file
    has been removed. I do not believe UPDATE will do that -- may be wrong. So
    scheduling a nightly REFRESH was going to be our approach.

    Many many thanks for the help thus far.

    -- Rich

    Rich_Willmore Guest

  6. #6

    Refresh will purge then update the collection, thereby deleting the keys and
    readding them. Update will just add the new keys. So, if you have a lot of
    changes in what you are indexing then yes, refresh is better, but will take
    considerably longer to accomplish than update would. Just as a point of
    reference, to run an update on all my collections takes 4-5 hours a night.

    robstacey Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Replacing " with Anything

    Try
    <cfset L_displayvolume = Trim(Replace('#L_displayvolume#', Chr(34), "X", "All"))>
    trjlove Guest

  8. #8

    <cfset L_displayvolume = Trim(Replace(L_displayvolume, Chr(34), "X", "All"))>

    Tried the above suggestion. Didn't work. Any other ideas? I could work
    around it but some of my input files have the quotes and some don't.

    Thanks...

    CoachChip Guest

  9. #9

    CoachChip,

    I had to do this before (a few months back), so this is from memory, which is
    rather shoddy nowadays.

    I believe I used the escape character rather than Chr(34).

    Something like Replace(myString, '\"', "X", "All") I think should work.
    Single quote, backslash, double quote, single quote.

    - Lemme know if that works.

    - Shawn

    shawnwindler Guest