Professional Web Applications Themes

CFMAIL gets stuck in spool directory - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

Hi all: I ahve been having this problem since upgrading to MX7 where a lot of mail is getting stuck in the cfusionmx7/mail/spool directory and, even though CF is responsive etc, it requires a service restart to get the remainder of these mails sent out. As it stands I have NOT restarted the CF server but I was able to verify my mail server connection and it's perfect. So I think this problem has to be CF. The mail error logs shows the following: 'The ColdFusion mail spool encountered an invalid spool file in the spool directory. The invalid file ...

  1. #1

    Default CFMAIL gets stuck in spool directory

    Hi all:

    I ahve been having this problem since upgrading to MX7 where a lot of mail is
    getting stuck in the cfusionmx7/mail/spool directory and, even though CF is
    responsive etc, it requires a service restart to get the remainder of these
    mails sent out. As it stands I have NOT restarted the CF server but I was able
    to verify my mail server connection and it's perfect. So I think this problem
    has to be CF.

    The mail error logs shows the following:

    'The ColdFusion mail spool encountered an invalid spool file in the spool
    directory. The invalid file was Mail36693.cfmail. This file was moved to the
    undelivered directory. '

    This is the only error I have.

    Does anyone have ANY idea at all why this might be happening? Is it the fact
    that it came across a blank mail? Is there anyway that this should stop the
    server gving it to the SMTP server? Has anyone got any ideas at all??

    Any and all help appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Ciaran.

    TinkerToy__ Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CFMAIL gets stuck in spool directory

    Just bumping this up in case anyone has any ideas today or may have seen this problem before.

    Anyone? :)

    TinkerToy__ Guest

  3. #3

    TinkerToy__ wrote:

    Does that file exist ? What is the content ?

    Are there blank files in the e-mail spool ?

    You could check the e-mails that are stuck in spool and see if they have
    something in common (files attached, included images, etc).

    Not sure if it helps, but you could try the 7.0.1 update.

    --
    <mack />

    Neculai Guest

  4. #4

    Check Mail Spool Settings in CF Administrator maybe it need to be increased as well as timeout. Also, check permissions for spool subdirectory.
    CF_Oracle Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Mack:

    Re: Mail36693.cfmail - yes this file exists, it is totally blank and and in
    the /undelivr directory. There are no blank ones in the email /spool directory.
    All emails are HTML but they are all the same and none have attached images
    etc. so I can't see what a load of them would go and then just stop. Will try
    that update, thanks.

    CF_Oracle: How wuold permission affect the /spoll directory, surely it would
    just have permissions or not? Also if anyone has any suggestions for CF admin
    mial setting values? I have:

    Spool Interval: 5 secs
    Mail Delivery threads: 5000
    Spool Mail messages to Disk: Yes
    Max number of messages spooled to memory: 100

    Let me know what you think, and thanks for the replies!

    Thanks,
    Ciaran

    TinkerToy__ Guest

  6. #6

    TinkerToy__ wrote:

    You should make this higher. I think 20-30 secs is ok.

    wow. I don't have the enterprise edition, but I think that's way big (others
    might correct me). 5000 means that you can have 5000 threads and outgoing
    connections at one moment which will get into into a lot of troubles
    (memory, 10K connections, etc). My guess is that 10 or 20 is a reasoable
    value.

    --
    <mack />

    Neculai Guest