Professional Web Applications Themes

CFML to HTML - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

Is there a way to convert a whole ecommerce site with all of it's many products from CFML to HTML for easy spidering? I haven't found any snippets anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do this myself or to acquire a module that's already made (who wants to re-invent the wheel?)? Thanks! Chris...

  1. #1

    Default CFML to HTML

    Is there a way to convert a whole ecommerce site with all of it's many products
    from CFML to HTML for easy spidering?
    I haven't found any snippets anywhere. Can someone point me in the right
    direction on how to do this myself or to acquire a module that's already made
    (who wants to re-invent the wheel?)?

    Thanks!
    Chris

    Loony2nz Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CFML to HTML

    Why can't you spider the CFML?

    -brian

    "Loony2nz" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to convert a whole ecommerce site with all of it's many
    products
    > from CFML to HTML for easy spidering?
    > I haven't found any snippets anywhere. Can someone point me in the right
    > direction on how to do this myself or to acquire a module that's already
    made
    > (who wants to re-invent the wheel?)?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Chris

    Brian Hogue Guest

  3. #3

    It's a known fact that for SEO, spidering links that are static HTML files is
    better for positioning than spidering a dynamic page.

    [url]www.mystore.com/product1.html[/url]
    is easier to spider than say:
    [url]www.mystore.com/product_detail.cfm?cat=20&id=32&subcat=3[/url]

    My current ecommerce store, I had to buy a module that would translate my php
    dynamic store catalog into individual HTML pages (great for site maps and
    spiders).

    I was wondering if there's a module for CF that does the same. I'd love to
    make my own, but my CF skills aren't that advanced. So, I'd buy one if it were
    out there, then move to a CF ecommerce host.

    hope that clarifies my question :)

    Thanks!

    Loony2nz Guest

  4. #4

    There are a variety of techniques to do this.

    You can use cfhttp to publish a site in .html. Make sure your code recognizes
    the fact that its not running on a dynamic page. Don't bother with things like
    cart display for example, and your CF sessions are subject to expiration since
    you will be hitting .html and cf pages.

    Or you could do the above and publish to a static .cfm. This will keep the
    page above CF's radar in terms of session expiry. You can also go to a lot
    more work and your publishing process can build parts of a template into a
    variable string, and then use cfcontent to publish a whole page with content
    and cf code intact, keeping your dynamic bits like "x items in cart". Very
    complicated and a major PITA to implement.

    Or if your system is db-driven, you could add a field to the page record that
    is its 'friendly' name. Then work in code that will -- if no url parameters
    are found -- search for the friendly name and transparently bring up the proper
    data. Everything stays dynamic.

    I wrote an article in CFDJ years ago that showed still another way, which I
    called "pseudo-static" pages, where you made copies of your core template with
    cffile and your page builder named each copy to the page name you specify.
    Then more CF code pd out the page name and used that to figure out what
    data to display.

    Seems crazy at first but it is blindingly simple to implement and the pages
    remain totally dynamic, which depending on your resource usage and frequency of
    updates may or may not be good. The article was entitled "Disappear From The
    Invisible Web".

    All of the above methods are used in my ContentMonger Pro cms. Not sure if
    the free ContentMonger Lite retains any of that code. I might have chopped it
    out.

    --Matt--
    MSB Web Systems... [url]http://mysecretbase.com[/url]
    "People will sleep better not knowing how their sausage and politics are made."
    - Bismarck

    MattRobertson Guest

  5. #5

    What about using cfsavecontent to enclose the cfml template, and save the
    variable to a file with an html extension.
    OldCFer Guest