Professional Web Applications Themes

CFMX 7 - can't set a site-wide or missing template file - Coldfusion Server Administration

I had both site-wide error and missing template pages in the admin and they worked great. But when I went it to make another change to threads, it would not let me save the page stating that the 2 files did not exist. I know they exist and they were still working. But I had to clear out the values to save my thread changes, and now it won't let me put them back in! So users so the ugly messages! How can I get these files back in? Is there a registry setting? Why won't this page let me ...

  1. #1

    Default CFMX 7 - can't set a site-wide or missing template file

    I had both site-wide error and missing template pages in the admin and they
    worked great. But when I went it to make another change to threads, it would
    not let me save the page stating that the 2 files did not exist. I know they
    exist and they were still working. But I had to clear out the values to save my
    thread changes, and now it won't let me put them back in! So users so the ugly
    messages! How can I get these files back in? Is there a registry setting? Why
    won't this page let me save them - they worked before and the files are in the
    web root. Thanks.

    TechFreeAgent Guest

  2. #2

    I don't know why the admin page won't let me save this (I believe it is an MX 7
    bug), but I found that these file values are stored in
    cf_libroot/lib/neo-runtime.xml. Not sure if I am supposed to be editing that
    directly, but I did find the places to insert my file names, saved it,
    stopped/restarted CFMX 7 and my error and missing template pages are working
    again.

    TechFreeAgent Guest

  3. #3

    I had the same problem.
    The difference seems to be that in CFMX 6.1 I specified the location as a file location (C:\Inetpub ....) whereas CFMX7 expects the location as a web link, relative to Webroot.
    John-Norway Guest

  4. #4

    I need to bring this thread back up again. I had to edit the neo-runtime.xml to
    set my Site-wide error handler to "/sharedCode/SiteWideError.html". Then I went
    back into the admin and it was indeed in the field--but when I made a change to
    another part of the Settings page and saved it, I still get this error: "The
    file specified as the site wide error handler does not exist. The default error
    handler will be used until a replacement is created."

    Yes, it does exist. And yes, "/sharedCode/SiteWideError.html" is accessible
    from the webroot (on all my virtual websites). I am running CFMX7 and IIS6 on
    Windows 2003. The same environment worked before on a separate server--not sure
    why this install is causing the problems.

    Anyone have a solution?

    sdwebguy99 Guest

  5. #5

    I had a similar problem when setting up a production multi-site server (CF7 /
    IIS6 / Windows 2003). C:\Inetpub\wwwroot is empty and the web sites are in a
    separate folder. Putting my "404" file into either didn't work. In CFAdmin, I
    specified that /404.cfm was the Missing Template handler, so what was wrong?
    There is another folder (C:\wwwroot on my system) which is where I put the 404
    file, and everything fine. The folder names may change, but perhaps this may
    help.
    cheers, John

    John-Norway Guest

  6. #6

    I dont understand if you solved the issue or not. Your situation sounds like
    mine--I dont have my web files in c:\inetpub\wwwroot either. I have then on my
    D drive. I made sure I could access (via a browser)
    /sharedCode/SiteWideError.html from each of my domains, and I can. But CF Admin
    still throws that error.

    sdwebguy99 Guest

  7. #7

    It solved the problem for me.
    I eventually tried putting copies of the 404 file in various places until it
    worked - after banging my head against a brick wall for some time.
    Do you have any cryptic web server sort of folder names on your C drive?
    There is also a copy of CFIDE in this folder. It is the "root" folder for the
    web sites, separate to the "root" for admin, and separate to the content of the
    web sites.

    John-Norway Guest

  8. #8

    I've tried multiple combinations of paths for this file and nothing works. Is this a bug?
    EdNeedsHelp Guest

  9. #9

    I have yet to see a straight forward and sensible solution to the issue of
    setting the Missing Template Handler (404 custom page) in a specific
    multi-homed site. In this thread, there is one suggestion to put the 404 file
    in the wwwroot (default site) directory. Yes, I can get this to work with my
    default site, where I put the 404 file in the wwwroot and then specify the
    Missing Template Handler in the main CF Admin site ("main" meaning the site
    that has the "Instance Manager"). That is fine if I only wanted a single site
    on my server. I would rather set a specific Missing Template Handler for each
    instance, which it is not letting me (stating it cannot find the file). I
    should make it clear that I am running DIFFERENT sites on the same server (they
    are relatively small, and thus do not necessitate having a separate server for
    each site).

    I did follow the instructions to set the 404 custom page in IIS, as well as
    set the configuration for .cfm, .cfml, etc. in IIS to "Verify that file
    exists". However, I'm not really following that logic, since IIS would never
    send to ColdFusion if it does not find the file first (it would show the custom
    404 page on its own, before CF sees it).

    So, if anyone has some other tips on how to set up the Missing Template
    Handler for each instance on a single server (I'm running CFMX7, IIS6, and
    Win2003Ent), then I would greatly appreciate it. I'm setting this all up on a
    new development server, so this has yet to be a production issue. However, I
    would like to get this resolved some time soon, and may need to look at some
    kind of workaround if necessary.

    Thanks in advance!

    Tim Chandler

    TimChandler Guest

  10. #10

    I should first correct my statement from previous posting above. I incorrectly
    stated I'm running a "multi-homed" environment, when in fact I meant that I am
    runing multiple instances (multi-homed means something different).

    I was able to correctly set the 404 custom page for every instance. It was
    sort of an obvious solution, but as usual sometimes the obvious things are
    necessarily so.

    The solution was to ensure you have "/" mapped as a ColdFusion Mapping to your
    web root. Not have this, I was getting an error on the Settings page when
    trying to enter the "/404.html" as the Missing Template Handler.

    Thanks goes to Simon Horwith and Brannon Hightower, who sent me the response
    after attending a recent Austin CFUG meeting.

    TimChandler Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks to TimChandler.
    That's the real solution.
    I had same problem on a CF MX 7 server, and after mapping the folder to place
    the custom error page, all worked out.
    Just map the folder and then insert the relative path to the file.

    Alex54 Guest

  12. #12

    I know this thread has long been closed, but I came across this problem
    recently, too, and wanted to briefly point out my solution for the benefit of
    anyone else who's having trouble with this. For some unknown reason, one of
    our servers had a CF mapping for a root. i.e., on the mappings page, one
    mapping had the logical path of simply /. When I removed that, CF was able to
    correctly locate the site-wide error and missing template handlers.

    Dave Guest